I do know what I'm doing, honest!

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by WeRJuliIan, May 28, 2017.

1. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

I'm going to get a hat, or a t shirt, that says " Really, I have done this before."

It's just so frustrating, when people turn up and try to take over a particular task. I know they're well meaning, in most cases, and that makes it very hard to reject their "assistance " without being rude.

Two examples, from a recent weekend outing..

We arrived after dark, and the CG was crowded, so backing into our slot was tight. I'm no longer able to yell, so I tend to walk around the trailer and check where things are, then walk back to the Jeep and give detailed guidance.
    By the time I did, the man from the next site had already arrived and was loudly giving conflicting instructions and ignoring me completely.

Later the same weekend, I went to light the water heater. No sooner had I opened the cover, than another neighbour was there.... "Not getting any hot water? You need to do this and then this, and did you remember to turn the gas on at the bottle, and... "

I guess I'm just too polite, because I confined myself to "Yes, I know" and "Yes, I did that"... which is not what I really wanted to say at all. :)

Now, it's not that I don't appreciate an offer of help.. and I'm never afraid to learn... but, surely, it would be best to open with "Hello, do you need a hand with that?"... then I can gratefully accept the help, or politely decline (giving you the opportunity to get a chair and a beer and watch me screw it up all by myself...)

I know this may sound churlish, and I certainly don't want to discourage anyone from offering assistance... but there's a right and a wrong way, surely?

Ian... grumpy old man from Scotland

Kenny E and Tracy D. like this.
  2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I hear what you are saying. An offer to help is one thing but just jumping in is another.

3. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

doubt a hat or shirt would help, those kind of people have no clue LOL -
    I have never encountered the overly helpful type - in fact I rarely get any offers of assistance. And that does surprise me a little as we are usually all females piling out of the tow vehicle (our hubbies are not often with us).

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I don't assume someone needs help just because they are female.

5. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

We are usually sitting around the camp fire when new folks show up and do offer any help if it looks like they are struggling with something. We always ask first however... Someone mentioned a Lady camper by herself up above here - Seems like that is not a rare event any more. See several ladies camping by themself or with a dog...

I had one gentleman show up by himself one time and setup next door. I watched him for two days pull everything he had stowed in the trailer out writing things down on a list I guess that what is was. Finally got the best of me so I had to go ask haha...

He said this was the way he did his annual inventory of all things he had on aboard and got to camp off by himself enjoying the quiet camp site... He played a great guitar too... Actually a good idea I reckon... It seems I always have something fail on me and I would bet money I still had two or three spares only to not find a thing hehe...

Then one time we heard this very loud music coming from an older Grayhound Type BUS RV unit come driving into the camp ground with top speakers horns blaring away. Two guys in this setup... It was one of those older 50s-60s RV 's made after a bus - not a make over... Forget the name of it.... It all started going down hill when they was trying to back the big bus into the tight camping spot. I was afraid they was going to run over my Truck so I moved it right away. Had two or three of us out there with flash lights trying to get him situated. They finally all of a sudden about ten lights came on from the Bus RV and lit up the whole campground. The guy yells out I was wandering what that button was for haha... They had a good time I reckon....

That was a disaster on wheels... Everything the guys touched didn't work or broke down. I helped some but all they wanted to do was party and raise heck haha... We left on the same day but they left at day break and we was a couple a couple of hours later. They really left their site in a big mess. I cleaned up as much as I could before we left. Saw them broke down at a WAWA working on the Bus motor on the way out. Just kept on trucking haha...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My problem is those want to be helpful family members. Can't exactly tell them "no thank you" like I can with strangers. My mom who has terrible eye site who thinks she can assist me with backing up for instance. Then the kiddo when she was younger who got in the way. The camping neighbors that have came over offered some assistance but left me alone for the most part. So easier to deal with.

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I have helped a few folks out getting backed into their sites.. Sometimes it has been as simple as holding a couple lights so they can see at night time, other times it has been backing their trailer through the mud into where they wanted it parked.. I will not give directions on where or how to park, but will yell if they are going to hit something or someone..

8. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

The worst part of all this is, that one time when you actually NEED help, all you hear is the chirping of crickets....

Mausinn likes this.
  9. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

This is what I would die for!

I've given up on my wife, and now I'm working on my 8 year old daughter. :)

SidecarMike likes this.
  10. Fless

Fless Active Member

I wear one of these, don't say anything, and point to it.

upload_2017-5-29_7-38-12.jpeg

If that doesn't work, I get a little more direct.

11. Hikeswithcats

Hikeswithcats New Member

This.
    I'm a female camper. I usually camp with my mom & sometimes my sister. Although I am a tenter now~ I used to have a PU. MY mom still has her travel trailer. She is a senior citizen. We've never had anyone just jump in to help (Thank heavens~ as that may not end so well). We've been offered help a lot (usually by well-meaning males). Most of the time, a polite decline & Thank You works. What I really hate is when folks stand there at another campsite and WATCH us and don't make any attempt to hide the fact. We may be gals. We may be a tad less "smooth" and a bit slower than the men, but rest assured, we'll get the job done. Next time we have an obvious audience~ I think I'm going to stop what I'm doing, put my hands on my hips, and stare back! [A][CAT]

tzmartin and Tracy D. like this.
  12. TRR

TRR Active Member

At one campground the folks in the camper on the neighboring site apparently had nothing else to do so they sat out and watched as we were packing up the pop-up to leave. What made it funny was that the man kept up a running commentary to his wife (loud enough to be easily heard by us) describing and explaining what each step of the pack-up involved and why I was doing it. I felt like the star of a documentary.:cool:

We chalked it up to there being nothing much else to do at this campground, and his wife had apparently never seen a pop-up up close. We found it quite humorous actually.

13. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

My rule is, only help when asked.

bob barnes likes this.
  14. Hikeswithcats

Hikeswithcats New Member

HaHa...That is comical. I agree that situation like that would be far more amusing than annoying.

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I don't mind the people that watch quietly as long as they stay out of my way. However, one day when I did a sput the neighbors burst out laughing at my expense. I wasn't feeling very friendly towards them then. They did apologize later and explained they did the same thing when they had a popup.

16. TRR

TRR Active Member

If you can't laugh at your neighbor's sput, how are you supposed to enjoy the trip? [LOL]

silvermickey2002 likes this.
  17. lonewolf465

lonewolf465 Member

My wife and I were in a remote campground in extreme northern Alberta last year when two older couples (quite old) pulled into the site next to us with a pickup camper. They were having a difficult time getting into a large site. They set up camp and the radio came on and it kept getting louder and louder and louder. After awhile, I wondered over to tell them the outside speakers were on. They had rented the camper and were unfamiliar with its operation and just kept turning up the volume. A good laugh was shared and once again the campground was quiet. I too will yell if they are about to hit something with their rig.

18. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Many campers around my site almost always watch what I was doing during the set up... I set up my popups all myself during my work lunch. I could tell that they were amazed when I set up everything (yes, including awning) flawlessly and quick. All done in 30 minutes then I zoom back to work. I often camp near my work in Ventura. Later my wife comes around 4 PM.. and I leave work at 5 PM. I come in and start the coals for supper. Once a couple campers walked to see if they can help, I declined. They were surprised when I declined and went on their way.

But often during work, I set up canopy at exhibition/booth event, MANY would come and try to help me without asking me. I being deaf, used my universal sign language, said that I am fine thank you. One was stubborn, I told him that I am fine and that he can help someone else. BUT he stayed on anyway and did it all wrong and I had to correct his mistakes. I got more firm and told him to leave me alone. He stood by and watched me set up the huge canopy all my self... I was irritated at his stubbornness.

19. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I don't have that problem boondocking!!!

Halford likes this.
  20. Lloyd B

Lloyd B Active Member

We used to ride with a family oriented motorcycle club that had some tent camping trips each summer. When the second and later bikes showed up, the earlier arrivals would grab lawn chairs and sit down to watch them set up the tent. Seems like there was always one guy that pulled out the tent stakes, while the new arrival was on the other side of the tent driving them in the ground, it seemed funny at the time, but I am sure the "help" was not wanted. I really miss those folks, the rides, and the campouts, but I guess life goes on, and we all get older.