I do know what I'm doing, honest!

Discussion in 'Campground Etiquette' started by WeRJuliIan, May 28, 2017.

1. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

What? no wild animals asked you if they can help you???? [:D]

2. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

Raccoons helped themselves to 24 tasty avocados....

cyclop5 likes this.
  3. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

Good way to get rid of old food garbage ;)o_O

4. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Active Member

Yeah, the "help" that stands there and guides you when you are backing in. My wife stays in the truck. I get out and look myself. I use mirrors. Had different times someone standing there waving their arms like they are doing something when I am ignoring them completely. I just politely say hello and go about my own business.

I also hitch by myself. I do not trust anyone else to guide me and find it irritating. I've had people help and scream to stop and when I get out the ball is no where near the coupler.

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

I laughed a fair bit at this. I think we have all had this issue from time to time.
    I feel the same about strangers giving me directions. Generally they don't make sense, so they are ignored and like you I would rather get out and look myself to confirm what is actually happening.
    Being aircraft orientated and towing 400+ ton aircraft, there is a system to doing it, with plenty of communication.(Note: not yelling)
    I have taught my wife how to give directions that I we can both understand and in the dark I have her shine the torch on herself so I can see her hand signals.
    Works great, but it has taken the 35 of the 37 years we have been married to do it!

Haybale likes this.
  6. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I usually do the backing up and hooking up by myself. I've gotten good at it over the years. Yes, I have told others politely, "Please don't try to help." My DW doesn't even get out of the chair when I'm in my zone. As for helping out others? I observe. I once watched two neighbors trying to figure out how to plug their 30 amp plug into a 20 amp duplex. They didn't have an adapter for it and I had two. I grabbed one and walked it over to them to which they were more than happy.

7. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

I try not to help if not asked. I have on occasion instructed specialized backing to others so the trailer could be positioned in a not so standard set up, such as perpendicular to the site.

I like to watch the spectacle of the back in of others. It is entertaining as I'm sure mine is to others. As stated, grab a camp chair, a beer and watch the show. I would hold up score signs if it wasn't inappropriate. You know, "9.9 artistic style, 9.4 technical ability" etc. lol. Too much fun......

Haybale likes this.
  8. SidecarMike

SidecarMike Active Member

I'm in the same position. For 40 years now, my wife will position herself somewhere that I can't see. Then she'll shout instructions like "Go that way!" or she'll yell "That's perfect, stop there!" when half the motorhome is still blocking the roadway. One of the reasons I went back to a small popup. I can even unhook it and roll it around like a child's coaster wagon.

Haybale likes this.