I don't see us ever "upgrading"

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Orchid, Dec 3, 2019.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

I thought the wife was happy with the Aliner. I just saw her looking at TTs again. At least the ones she's looking at are less than 20ft. I see one in our future, sooner than later. We could be a two camper household, also.

Orchid, BillyMc and neighbormike like this.
  2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I'm between 6' and 6'1" depending on the day so looking for all of the headroom I can get. Plus, single dormers seem few and far between.

My first choice is the rear mattress and have no interest in the sofa bed. But beggars can't be choosers.

3. mdcamping

mdcamping Member

4. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

I don't see us moving up to anything else till we're too old for the camping scene, barring health, an accident, or catastrophic failure of the major components. Our pup is old, an '84, but it is good shape...I wouldn't think twice about throwing a grand at new canvas if it ever becomes necessary. 20-30 minute setup & takedown, easy to pull, & I can see over it & down either side of it going down the road. Oh, & the grandkids love it too.

5. Econ

Econ Active Member

You're not alone.

The dormer has three purposes. 1) head room for the person who sleeps closest to the rear wall. 2) visual space. 3) head room for person 3 and 4 sitting at the dinette. The problem with a shower is it makes for visual clutter. It makes the interior look tiny. Dormers make the interior look bigger. Though it does not give you any more practical head room. 4th purpose. They add to the heating bill.

With used Aliners you usually dont get to choose much if you want a mattress layout.

6. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I feel the same about our NTU PUP that we got about a year ago. It's older, but plenty big enough, has a toilet, was inexpensive, we can tow it with our existing vehicle, and we can store it at my uncle's for free! For us, this is the best fit for our next 10 years or so of occasional weekend family camping. I do have big dreams of a retirement travel trailer (or maybe even two!) that would be totally different. But I've come to appreciate that our Niagara is the right one for us now!

Orchid, campfire Joe and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The DW and I would love to upgrade! For the simple fact that we enjoy driving around the country visiting family and just traveling. We've been to the the Hershey RV show and a Class "C" is looking really good! Even a 35' Class "A" looks mighty fine. Don't get me wrong, we really do love our pup! Lots of great memories in it!! But the fact is we're not getting younger and each year takes just a little longer setting up the pup. We want to be able to sleep 4-6 adults comfortably with a nice sized bathroom/shower and a decent kitchen. Towing a car behind us is a lot easier than towing a trailer. But, that's just us!

Ok, hit post too soon...
    We are the type that decide lets go for a two week trip and will not make any reservations. This is how we travel! Finding a campground with a site has never been a problem for us for all those one nighters!

Orchid and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I used to feel /say the same way, but as we get older things (and our bodies) change and rather than stop camping I went with a small TT. I have also decided that solo canoe camping and backpacking had to go too, I have had 2 back operations, we made the decision to go to a TT on the way home from the 1st operation we discussed getting a small TT now at 77 I am not as agile as I once was so it is easier to use a small TT and a good decision for us. That decision has to be made on a personal level.

9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

No jack in the box. You have to pull a trigger. [:D]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    Pommom70 likes this.
  10. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

We got our TT after 20 years in the pup mainly for quick set up/ tear down. We camp mostly on weekends and it’s nice to be able to take off quickly on Sunday afternoon. Our TT also makes it more comfortable to camp later in the season when nighttime temps regularly fall to the teens. More peace of mind in areas where grizzlies are fairly common. We were lucky to be able to keep the pup, it’s great for the desert and a little easier to maneuver in remote areas.

11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I'm the looker in our family. Just this week I ran across a deal on a 184BS, the DW said "we have a camper". Truth is with just us and the boys we could make a 184BS work. Queen bed for us, bunks for the boys, drop the table for guest, and nicer bath for DW. I would really miss the screen room kitchen on the front of our PUP though. I wouldn't consider it an upgrade or a downgrade, just a change.
    BTW
    We would keep the PUP.

Orchid likes this.
  12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I do agree it's a totally personal decision. Different campers for different folks. No family is the same with the same needs and wants.

I have just realized how easy our set up and tear down has become. Even recently, I haven't booked anything less than a 5 day trip due to thinking it was too much hassle. However, when I paid attention to how we set up so quickly now, without breaking a sweat, and completely on auto-pilot, I was shocked. I wouldn't hesitate to do just a one nighter now. Over time it's just become a non-issue.

Once I noticed how seamless and stress free things have become I decided to quit looking for a small TT, at least in the near future.

I will say that on the second day of this trip, I did a full body splat onto concrete and broke 3 ribs. One of my newly replaced knees looks nightmarish, but x-rays show it's all still intact. It looks much worse than it feels. Anyway, the 3 broken ribs are extremely painful and there was nothing I couldn't do when we broke camp today, except lift down the galley.

Our decision is semi-financial as well. While we could afford to make payments on a new TT, it would cut down on the number of trips we could take. Since life isn't forever (and a used TT isn't an option for many reasons) I have decided to quit "window" shopping.

I guess I posted because I kind of shocked myself. We have been through SO MANY campers. I'm not even sure of a number. It was around 18 years ago or so that we bought our first one. I never felt content enough to keep one as long as we have this one. We've even owned a Class C at one point. Even now, we own a large TT that I'm going to list for sale after Christmas. Way too big for camping, IMHO. It's a two bedroom behemoth that is better suited to full timing.

Our current pup is probably the ugliest camper we've ever owned, when it's in the down position, but the reality is that it's perfect for us, oddly enough. I guess we're ugly camper people. [LOL]

I should add that my family and friends, that know me personally, are all going to be totally stunned that I quit looking at campers. I've actually been obsessed with camper shopping since the early 90's, way before we ever actually bought one. Most are already surprised we have had our current one as long as we have. LOL

13. BillyMc

I generally make all setups last two nights. If on a long trip I would do a minimal setup for one night if need be. We are planning some long distance camping some years down the road. For those we are looking for areas we'd like to check out within a days drive so we can explore along the way. We've spent most of our lives rushing to and from for one reason or the other and simply want to slow down and make memories in the time we have left.

14. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

In the end its all avout whats good for you! Im happy that you allready have the one instead of still looking. Life is funny that way! Get better soon!

Orchid and Ladiesman like this.
  15. BillyMc

Praying for a speedy recovery. Had some torn cartilage years ago and it SUX!

Orchid likes this.
  16. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Get better soon, Orchid! Broken ribs suck! I popped one about 25 years ago, when i was ~35, & it took months before it quit bothering me... I hated it.

Orchid likes this.
  17. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

Orchid, hope you heal fast. And remember, you can still look. It's a harmless hobby! You don't have to buy anything. You might get ideas for further customizations though. :)

Orchid and jmkay1 like this.
  18. gardenbliss

gardenbliss Well-Known Member

I want to be a 2 camper household. While I truly love my PUP, I no longer need the King sized bed on one end when I go solo and long distances. I don't always want to unhook and set up for just a one nighter. I am obsessed with the Armadillo campers from Canada, sigh. The price point is a bit steep, but it has everything I need or want for solo camping.

Orchid likes this.
  19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We do one night often. But for the most part its 2-3 nights.

I think the type of campers depends on the times. Over 35+ years. We started in popups then went to TT for many years, then back to popups 3 in a row. Now Motorhome for long trips and popup for short trips.

Orchid likes this.
  20. BillyMc

The exact reason this Travel Lite E14x caught my eye, except I don't see a shower and that's a must for DW.

Sjm9911 likes this.