I finally got my new flooring

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by MrsPoleCat, Jun 14, 2010.

1. MrsPoleCat

MrsPoleCat New Member

Ok so this weekend the DH and I agreed we would pull the camper out to clean it up, check to see if we were low on any supplies and get it ready for camping. Once we got it up we got the MOD bug, or atleast I did. I have teased the DH multiple times about putting down some of those stick on tiles. He would always look at me with that look. Well this weekend, I must have bugged him enough or gave a good pouty face, but he gave in. We went shopping for tiles, I cleaned the floors, started laying down the tiles and then...needed help. He and I had to work together to get these tiles cut and wedged in areas, esp since our cabinets are riveted, there for we cant just move them and nothing was square. A few hours later and we were done, and if I must say so myself....they look good! I am happy with the way they turned out. Really helped spruce up the 1995 Hatteras we own. Of course this weekend wasnt used only for that. We managed to build a new shelf, and the DH put in an outlet behind the galley, so that we can plug up the microwave with out an extension cord draped across the floor as a tripping hazard.

Old floor
    [​IMG]

New Floor
    [​IMG]

New Shelf
    [​IMG]

Wanted to say thank you to my DH for all of his hard work.

2. ballard

ballard New Member

very cool. I like it.

3. mdbaird76

mdbaird76 New Member

Looks great. I also want to do the same to mine before my 4th of July trip.

4. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I definitely like the look of the new floor better. Nice work!

5. 02mommie07

02mommie07 New Member

Nice job! Love the new floor!

6. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

Floor looks really sharp. Great work!

7. Tomminny

Tomminny 2004 Jayco Qwest 10K

Nice job! What holds the shelf up?

8. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

Nice job on the floor. Good color for a camper floor.

I'm also curious as to what holds the shelf up.

9. MrsPoleCat

MrsPoleCat New Member

Simply just 4 screws screwed into the back of the galley. The DH cut the slits on the bottom of the rods deeper, so that we can slide the rods down into the screws and it locks the poles into place. And it is very sturdy. Also our galley bar is different than most. It goes all the way across the back of our galley. There is only a 3/4" between the galley and the bar. The rods we got just barely fit. Which helps assist the shelf from going back wards. This weekend when we go camping I will try to take some close up shots as to how we have it set up.

10. kokopelli80

kokopelli80 New Member

MsPoleCat,
    I have two questions for you. One, what prep work did you have to do for your floor? Two, I have been analyzing your photos of the galley shelf. We also have one like yours with the bar across the back and although you've explained how you attached the supports I'm having a very hard time picturing it. On one of your next outings would you mind snapping a photo to share?

[:D]

11. MrsPoleCat

MrsPoleCat New Member

As far as the floor goes, I got on all fours and scrubbed it, and tried to be sure all dirt and grime was removed before we layed down the tiles. That was all the prep work we did.

Now for the shelf. I will be sure to take a pic as to how we have it connected. It isnt the easiest angle to photograph but will try. I hope to take it out again soo, but with this 100+ degree weather we are having it just isnt the most pleasant camping weather.

12. Melissa71

Melissa71 New Member

I think I understand how it was done. :) Love the new tile and the shelves, it looks fantastic! I think her husband enlarged the slits that are already in the upright pieces, so they could slide it over the screw that he attached to the back of the galley. So you can put it over the screw, and slide it down to lock it in place. Did you hubby just make the slits bigger where the screws are, or all the way down the upright?

13. insanehognutt

insanehognutt New Member

I think your floor looks great! Thanks for giving me an idea for some shelving too (mine won't work exactly like yours, but it gave me a very good idea!).

I have used peel and stick vinyl tiles in the past and they always end up moving some causing gaps. If you run into that problem down the road try these: http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ContentView?pn=BP_Trafficmaster_Allure&langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053&navFlow=3&searchRedirect=Allure

They stick to themselves instead of the floor so they don't come apart and they look great.
    Yours may not every start to move apart from each other but if they do the allure plank vinyl won't. I have actually used them in my house and can vouch for them.

Thanks for posting the great pics...nice looking camper and nice work!

14. hollywood703

hollywood703 New Member

I like the color, will help keep the dirty look down too during the trip.....This is the color I want when i replace mine down the road.

15. bradnailer

bradnailer New Member

Nice work!

16. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

The floor looks great! I'm hoping to get my floor redone soon. May I ask what the approx sq footage of your pup is?

17. CHart6283

CHart6283 New Member

Nice!