I finally installed the water filter

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by silvermickey2002, May 30, 2010.

1. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Well, I finally had time to install our new water filter. Got the bracket from Camping World. Now the filter media is for reducing Chlorine (for taste & odor), Lead, Cysts, VOC (Chemicals), MTBE, Mercury, Asbestos, sediment and rust. It might sound like overkill, but according to the DW it is something to consider with all the ground water problems of today. She used to work for a pharmaceutical company and she dealt with water treatment. The filter is designed to last about 6 months with everyday use. That should take a few years while camping. It does not interfere with the bunk end support pole!

Got everything from the Home Depot except the filter bracket
    Filter housing (GE - GXWH04F) $17.98
    2 - 2"x3/4 brass pipe nipples $9.30
    Female garden hose connection $4.41
    Male garden hose adapter $3.43
    Water filter (GE - FXUVC) $40.00
    RV housing bracket $15.00

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. jabntam39

jabntam39 Nothing like the smell of a campfire....

Very nice...Where does that hose run into? Is that your main water line, or is it into your storage tank?Great idea though...

3. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

Nice job. I still use the blue hose filter ($25 ish) from Walmart. My coffee maker has a filter, and I have a Brita pitcher for drinking/cooking water if needed.

4. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

The hose runs to the city water connection on the pup. Of course the other connection is from the CG connection. I placed a "Y" on the output side so I would have somewhere to fill a pot or bucket for water. Will get to test it out on Fathers Day weekend.

We used a blue Walmart filter last summer and this spring and the filter put a smell and odd taste into the water. When we removed the filter the odor and taste disappeared. It might be a little on the pricey side and a little more setup time, but to us it's worth it.

Thanks...

5. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

This is not only a great idea, but I love the way you executed it. Yep, I'm bookmarking this mod for later use.