I go camping to get away from all these

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Mickeyrv, Apr 4, 2017.

1. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

I go camping to get away from electronic equipment, especially the telephone. Why do you go camping ?

2. 4xMeteor

4xMeteor Active Member

Get away from everything - electronics, work, DWs todo list, life and especially other people:) We like to get away, enjoy nature and just be alone - quite time. Before we relocated to GA, most of our camping was boondockin in some really secluded places -Cell phone coverage stopped about an hour before we got there, watch out for bears kind of seclusion.

Now, we are not complete hermits, we do take other trips to CG's with people and we socialize and have a great time - but when we go "camping" its to be alone.

3. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also go camping to get away from electronics, but mainly to get out of the city to get fresh air, get away from the constant noise of cars, sirens, helicopters. To get away from the office and it's demands. I also go camping to see and experience the natural wonders of our country.

4. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I don't go camping to get away from anything, unless you count work. I go camping to have fun

bob barnes, Hawkester, Orchid and 2 others like this.
  5. Deesko

Deesko Member

I tend to work about 80 hours a week and wife is a real estate agent which means she basically works around the clock 24x7 so we camp to get away from the routine and to spend time with our kids going on adventures.

Luckily a lot of our work can be done on the fly so camping doesn't mean getting away from it ALL as much as it means getting away from what we can and doing the rest by a campfire.

Phones, iPads & laptops come with us with no explicit restrictions for the kids but honestly, they stay entertained enough that they don't get used much except to watch a movie before going to bed.

6. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

I go camping to spend time with my wife. We both work a lot, and if we're not working, we're constantly distracted by things that need to get done around the house, family responsibilities, friends, etc.

Camping is the only time we ever find ourselves in a position where we're both in the same place and neither of us have anything pressing to get done.

SEIPS and ptthefanman like this.
  7. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Active Member

I go camping to spend quality time with my DW and kids.

8. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

I go camping to get to be able to wake up in the morning at a creekside spot somewhere off-trail to a big fire going and watch the fish jump.

About three days of this and then I can meet the real world again for a while...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]

bob barnes likes this.
  9. inthedirt

inthedirt Active Member

Moved from Boise to SW Montana last summer and my new house is on a secluded, tree-covered 5acs (had a moose in my yard last weekend). I feel like I pretty much live in the ideal location for "getting away from others." My area only has about 650 people. That being said, we have a cabin near Yellowstone that is only about 2.5hrs away, but I still choose to camp out in nature. I love to go remote and get to scenic areas away from campgrounds. I almost exclusively boondock. To me, there is nothing more peaceful than sitting lake or creekside with a nice fire, a cold Corona, and plenty of stars.

10. Novarich

Novarich Active Member

I use camping to spend quality time with my kids and grandkids and nephews. The DW doesn't camp. I usually go a night before or after by myself to wind down.

11. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

I go camping to get away from things I probably should be doing around the house, lol. I don't go to get away from electronics though. I still frequent the portal on my phone at the campsite, listen to the radio while sitting around the campfire and catch the evening news at night. Most importantly it is to relax and enjoy down time.

12. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

For me it's all about relaxation. I've spent entire weekends not doing much more than sitting in a lawn chair enjoying the view. It's wonderful. I always get a little bummed out when we start hitting the suburbs coming home. [:)C]

13. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I go camping to get away from the same view out the front door every day. It's funny how most of us work hard to buy and own a home, decorate it up to make it ours, and usually take great pride in it.... Then turn around and buy a tin can on wheels to use to get away from our castle as much as we can.

inthedirt, Redbird934 and exploreco like this.
  14. Merlin14

Merlin14 Active Member

Camping used to be for grandkids and way back when for the kids. Now it is surprisingly difficult to get away, and the nest is empty. Last summer to Colorado renewed my desire to get "out there" and be there more. Working to see that happen again this summer. Maybe 3-4 weekends a year. That's about to change..."BIGLY"!

15. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

We camp for several different reasons.. We use camping as way to visit new places and get out and away from normal grown-up life.. We also camp as a way to hang out with friends, swap stories, consume several beverages, share a few campfires and chow down on some good food..

16. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

We go camping because we need to concentrate all our energies on doing absolutely nothing.. but we do it in style.
    It's impossible to be a world-class layabout at home, too many chores and distractions

Ian
    The Layabout from Scotland

17. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

The only reason I work is to get away from camping.....

Natureangel likes this.
  18. Hawkester

Hawkester Hawkesnest

We camp to get away from the inside....just love being outside.

We have three camp grounds (2 state parks and 1 county park) that are less than 40 minutes away so we found camping during the weekday is better as there are less people. We still go to work but rather than going to the house each night, we go to the pup.

19. Jenkamus

Jenkamus Active Member

My phone background says "Study Nature. Love Nature. Stay close to Nature, It will never fail you." - Frank Lloyd Wright

The forest makes my soul complete. We camp to get away from work, chores, extracurricular kid activities, normal life in general. Show my son the beauty of nature, see cool new places that should be explored with his eyes and not just looking at a picture.. I want him to grow up loving to explore so we have to show him ;)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
    Redbird934 likes this.
  20. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

I go to spend time with my family and enjoy the outdoors. We like to hike, swim, and cook over a fire.

There are some occasions when we use our camper in place of a hotel. In those situations we like, and bring, plenty of electronic entertainment.

Redbird934 likes this.