I got my Winegard MP1 satellite dish yesterday

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by mrootes, Mar 15, 2011.

1. mrootes

mrootes 2009 Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD

After hearing the feedback from a couple others on this site, I bought the Winegard remote satellite dish.

I set it up last night at home and it took me 4 minutes to find the signal. It really is a sweet setup. Aside from renewing the debate on why such an item is needed for camping, I'm really looking forward to this for a few reasons:

1. our three young girls (youngest is 4) like a little TV in the evenings - the 4 year old isn't to crazy about sitting around the campfire for more than 3 minutes.

2. We use our PUP in place of hotels when we travel to vacation spots. Saves a ton of lodging money. So the satellite makes our "travelling hotel" more pleasurable!

3. I take the PUP on my fishing trips - will be nice to watch some TV at night when it's just me.

http://www.amazon.com/Winegard-GM-MP1-Portable-Satellite-System/dp/B0031XSH7Q

2. Yellowkayak

Yellowkayak Popups.....when sleeping on the ground gets to you

What are you paying per month for service and who is it thru?

JJ

3. mrootes

mrootes 2009 Rockwood Freedom 1940LTD

We've been with Directv for 15 years.
    We have three receivers in our home, with Hi Def service.
    We don;t have any movie channels.
    We pay around $94 a month.

4. mike1wade

mike1wade Want to Dark Side

It's not on all the time, but for news, some sports and bad weather entertainment the sat dish beats the FTA by tons.I have a small dish and a homemade tripod, and it takes about 5 minutes to setup. This may not be for everybody, but it works for us.

5. Highway Hilton

Highway Hilton New Member

I have the same Dish for my camper and it works very well. It's the only way I can get the wife to go camping.

6. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Got a Roadtrip and installed it last week, works great. Service will cost me $5.00 per month with Direct TV, as I am a current DTV customer. Will have card deactivated this fall, and reactivated next spring.
    I mounted it on the roof in front of the A/C, looks like it was made for the Pup.

7. EV2

EV2 Member

You probably know, but for others, you do not want to ask for deactivation, but seasonal suspension. There is no cost, and you do not have to pay to replace the card. Directive will accommodate 2 seasonal suspensions for a total of 6 months.

8. Bonniy

Bonniy arizona bred and born

just asking, if you have directv, why don't you just take one of the box's in your house, thats what we do when we go camping, all you have to do is unscrew it from the tv and cable, then screw it to the camping tv, very easy and no extra charge or having to turn it off
    just my [2C]

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Too much trouble, as after Memorial Day I will leave Pup at the farm, (farm is in mountains) to save pulling it an extra 300 miles. Don't want to take a chance of leaving box in Pup...just $5.00 per month

10. starcrafty

starcrafty Guest

I've got a few dishes from when we last moved. The buyers of our house intended on going with another company, and told us to take them if we wanted them, so I don't think I'll be spending $170 on an only slightly smaller one. My question is about trees. Everywhere we camp is quite wooded, and we prefer the shade. What about the signal?

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

So far I have not had any signal issues, not saying I won't

12. Highway Hilton

Highway Hilton New Member

We just got back from camping at Edisto Beach SP. It was very wooded where we were at. Could not get a signal at all. Glad we brought some DVD's to watch.