I got one!

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Evan Gaffney, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Evan Gaffney

Evan Gaffney Member

Hi all,
    I've been interested in building a custom teardrop for over a decade now. I have blueprints, schematics, saved shopping lists, the works. Recently though, I've begun to realize that this trailer I've fully constructed in my brain and on paper doesn't actually meet my needs any more. For starters, I'm 6'3", so I don't know who I was kidding in the first place. But I also have a daughter now, and by the time I finished such a monumental project, she'd be too big to fit in it with my wife and I.

To curb these urges and prevent myself from spending thousands and wasting years on a project that doesn't fit me, I decided to bite the bullet and get something a bit more familiar: a pop-up. I grew up in the mountains of Colorado, and my family always had one. So many of my childhood memories are of amazing vistas, late night rummy games at the dinette, and absurdly cold nights, and I'm super excited to share that with my wife and daughter. I found (I'm hoping) a steal of a deal in middle of nowhere South Dakota. A 1981 Coleman Columbia (at least I think it's a Columbia... if it were a Colonial XL it would have a porcelain sink and stove, yes?) for $600 dollars. I live in Aurora, Colorado, near Denver, and everything of similar condition and vintage around here starts at $1200 and up. As an added bonus, it's right near Black Hills National Forest, so the trip to pick it up has an inaugural camping trip built in! Worst case scenario, if I don't like it, I'll haul it back to Denver and double my money.

67289567_10156617942912898_5397732730869907456_n.jpg
    The Camper in Question

I'm sure it has an issue or two, but for $600, I'm not going to ask a lot of questions. Besides, I inherited my father's inability to buy something and just enjoy it, so even if the thing were showroom condition, I'd end up tearing into it anyways. I'm planning to fix it up and add some extensive mods, but not in a super cutesy, all gloss white everything, pinterest-worthy way. I just want it clean and functional with a few more creature comforts than were standard in 1981.

The plan is to do all of this, in no particular order:
    • Paint, inside and out (elastomeric for the top)
    • Floors (I have some lovely pergo laminate left over from my home renovation)
    • A new 100ah battery and power system (I'll be posting some separate questions about that)
    • LED lighting inside and out
    • New memory foam mattresses and seat cushions with new covers (probably not in loud, orange and brown plaid)
    • Stereo
    • Furnace (I don't think this model has one)
    • a boondocking portable solar setup
    • Axle flip (yes, with the proper kit and hardware. I'm no dummy) to allow bigger wheels.
    • and a few other odds and ends.
    I recognize that's a lot of money to sink into a $600 purchase, but the market here in Denver is crazy enough that I'm confident I can always get back what I spent in parts if and when I decide to get rid of it.

So yeah, that's me and my new project! Looking forward to learning from y'all!

WannaTravel and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. Bigantlers

Bigantlers Active Member

Welcome from the Buckeye State! Eager to see how it goes.

3. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Sounds awesome, congrats on your deal! Can't wait to see some inside pics and remodel updates.

4. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina.

5. bobinfleet

bobinfleet Active Member

Hello and Welcome from Hampshire UK[GBR], and good luck with the pup

6. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

Welcome from Oklahoma. Good luck on the mods.

7. IDezine

IDezine New Member

My cousin lives in Lafayette! Beautiful out there! We're from Massachusetts and just bought a 2001 Jayco Heritage for $500. We are completely redoing it as well. Already have everything we need, including a new canvas, and have gutted her! So excited! Look forward to your progress!

8. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Welcome to PopUpPortal

9. joet

joet Well-Known Member

Welcome from the mountains of West Virginia

10. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Greetings from the Connecticut shoreline

11. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum from Midway USA.

12. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

That sounds like you're going to have a fun time! Welcome from southern Maryland (the western side of the Chesapeake Bay).

13. roybraddy

roybraddy Well-Known Member

Welcome from the gateway to Northern Neck Virginia...

You will have fun for sure haha...

We were avid tent campers from the 60s-70s living out West... Then after moving to Virginia we got our POPUP in 2008...

Now we mostly camp in the area behind Harrisonburg VA along the wooded Virginia/West Virginia State Line inside a Natl Forest.

We still continue to Tent Camp as well... Lots of great Tent Camping sites up and down the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway Trail... One of the best Tent camping places we found is at Sherando Lake Campground just off of I64...

Roy Ken
    [​IMG]