I guess using some car tires are okay?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by NH-popper, Mar 30, 2010.

1. NH-popper

NH-popper Boldly going camping!

Based on the Trailer Life article, it seems that if I were to upgrade my trailer's tire size from 185/80R13 to 205/70R14 - There'd be a 1/2 inch diameter difference which shouldn't present a problem for clearances - and then use properly load rated car tires, it would be okay - is that correct?

If so, these tires should work for me - they're load rated for 1521 pounds at 44psi; my Rockwood 1260 XL's GVWR is 2400 pounds, with an empty weight around 2000 pounds, giving me plenty of leeway.

Kumho Solus KR21

There are also some Yokohama tires with a lower load rating of 1433 pounds at 33psi that would probably also work and I've been pleased with Yokohama products up to now.

Thoughts on this?

2. Island Ranger

Island Ranger New Member

3. ColemanBayviewMoneypit

ColemanBayviewMoneypit New Member

Big NO!NO!!!!! Unless you use tire that are rated LT (light truck), staw away from
    passenger vehicules tires. I know they sometimes are tempting ($$$), but you will save much more using trailer tires than having to put your car and pop-up back on it's feet after an adventure of a lifetime...(granted you get out of there alive)

My 0,02$

4. Flyfisherman

Flyfisherman New Member

Two thoughts ~

(1) using car tires on a trailer is not recommended:

(2) I've seen times where someone was upgrading their tires to a higher load rating thinking this would give them more weight carrying capacity for the trailer. However, the suspension components are still the same, i.e., the springs and axle, and this could result with something like a broken spring (while tooling down the highway!) ~

5. jeepjunky

jeepjunky New Member

ok my pup has some ultra small (9" rim 17" tire)4 bolt rims and tires. What Ive been told is that they have a tendency of getting too hot when in tow and failing. is this something I need to worry about, or can I upgrade to a larger rim and tire, still having a load rating needed.
    Thanks

6. Dusty82

Dusty82 Active Member

I've seen a lot of debate on this issue but never any substantive data. A lot of tire manufacturers will tell you to stay away from passenger car tires, and they'll give you lots of reasons why. What they neglect to tell you is that EVERY front wheel drive car on the road is subject to the same things they tell you is bad for a tire.

Do I have the answer? Nope. Neither does anyone else. We're repeating what we've been told. Will you have a catastrophic failure? Maybe - and that doesn't depend on the tire you're using. Your TV will have one too. Can you protect yourself? Yes, you can. How you do that is up to you.

7. awsandlin

awsandlin Active Member

To the original post, one issue with car tires is the sidewalls are not stiff enough for trailer towing which can create sway issues and also the flexing of the sidewall causes the tires to run hotter than they are designed for.

8. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

You should also check into your State laws.. I know here in Ontario it is illegal to run car tires anything other then small (4x8) open cargo trailers.... don't lets just say I did not get a fine of $500.. and no it wasn't on the pup .. it was on an old TT (which actually came stock with passenger tires) I was moving for a friend from one cg to another.

9. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

I wouldn't.

10. NH-popper

Fair enough then! I'll stick with trailer tires.

11. EV2

EV2 Member

I have not figured out how the tire knows it is on a trailer so that it can malfunction. Weight carrying capacity is the key. Many of the large off-road pups come with a 15" LT radial tire from the factory. Obviously sidewall flex is one component of heating, but if you have that kind of a sway issue, you have more problems to resolve than the tire. [}:)]

12. bpolwort

bpolwort Member

Stick with the trailer tires!!!! Passenger car tires are cheaper.......until one shreds to pieces taking your inner fenderwell with it!!

13. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

It isn't just about weight capacity. As mentioned trailer tires are built with stiffer side walls that reduce or eliminate roll. In addition they are made to be run at max PSI regardless of the weight they are asked to carry (ie 1/2 or all their weight rating).

Passenger car and light truck tires are designed with a certain amount of flex and roll. This increases traction and makes for a smoother ride.

Nothing wrong with going with a larger trailer tire if your trailer has the room in the wheel well opening just stick with a trailer tire.

In a pinch you could use a car tire (if you could find a tire the same size as your trailer tire) as a temp replacement like you would with a donut spare on your car.

14. bcrewcaptain

bcrewcaptain New Member

it's a discussion that has been beat 300 different ways...I WILL run only trailer tires on my TT and on my car hauler, I have however run pop ups as long as I can remember on car tires if they needed replacement. With a decent quality tire you won't see any issues(I can only speak for a single axle as a dual WILL see more sidewall twist/scrubbing) if you see anywhere near the sidewall force on your pop-up that I do in my car every day, then you need to stop pulling a trailer.

15. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

I have gone both ways with this issue. After a long suffering relationship with crap bias ply trailer tires on my boat trailer, I put radial car tires on it. I have never had a problem since, and I have been running these tires for at least five years now. When I got the pup, I had the same trouble with crap bias ply trailer tires, including a blow out that shredded my inner fender well. I did end up putting radial trailer tires on, and have not had any problems since.

I think as long as your tires are rated for the load you will put on them, you will be fine either way. I do advise you to go with radials however.

16. NH-popper

I'm thinking these Yokohama LT tires might work, if I upsize the tires (and I'll need to check clearances to see if the 3/4 inch radius increase (1 1/2 inch diameter increase) will be okay). I don't plan on doing winter camping.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Yokohama&tireModel=Y356&sidewall=&partnum=975R4356&tab=Specs