I hate mice.

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by mpking, Oct 17, 2016.

1. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Sunday I'm winterizing the PUP. I flip the radio on, and listen to the game while I'm doing it.
    I just finished the water system, and the staticyness of the radio is getting to me.

I flip open the electrical compartment (where the radio/converter/electric cord storage is) and start wiggling the radio antenna, to see if it's seated all the way.

A little "zzzt" noise, and the radio cuts out. I look at the (powered) antenna cable, where splice for the power is, has exposed wire. At the factory, they stripped too much wire, and rather than trim it, they just left the exposed portion exposed. It hit the radio, and shorted.

I check the fuses on converter. All are fine. I check the fuse on the radio. That one is fine. Great..... I have a hidden fuse. I hate the factory right now.

I pull the plywood box that the converter is "protected" by out of the compartment. And there is the 3amp inline fuse that they put in. Why? Why inside a compartment I need a drill to access! Especially where there is a fuse on the converter not inches away, and another one on the radio about a foot in the other direction!

Anyhow, while getting ready to button it back up, I find this:
    [​IMG]

That is the main line from the battery, before it goes into the converter!

Little ******* had chewed that up (but not all the way thru), one of the speaker wires (which is why I only had one speaker working I guess), and part of the Wirenut for the AC Power neutral.

I was actually finished winterizing at this point, only having taken about an hour. This extended my time commitment about 3 hours while I drove to the store to get supplies, and fix this problem.

It had to have happened with the previous owner (I've found other indications of mice damage in the PUP while using it this season).

When the spring comes, I'll open it up again, and figure out if I can remove that 3amp fuse safely, or at least re-locate it to an accessible portion of the camper.

2. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Any thoughts on what to replace the wirenuts with?

3. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Acorns? [LOL]

Sorry

4. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Already have those...... (Next to the green white wire in the top left)

[​IMG]

Sad part, this is after I vacuumed it out. There was 10 or 15 of them in there.

5. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Lol

6. radioman7

radioman7 New Member

Try a product called Wago 's they work well got to know size of your wireing

7. Beecoach

Beecoach Member

Probably ought to find were the mice are getting in and seal it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

That would be my second order of business, after cutting and splicing that wire. I may be tempted to wrap the entire bundle of wires into one big cocoon with electrical tape, after doing so.

On the bright side, be glad it was just a mouse and nothing something worse. Could be roaches, which are nearly impossible to get rid of and may as well just junk the camper at that point. Or carpenter ants, that completely eat away the entire PUP, from the inside out, before you even know you are there. One day, you just walk out to a pile of metal and plastic laying in the yard.

I've near dealt with roaches in a camper, but know someone who had them on a house boat and it was a nightmare. I did have ants in a TT once and ended up turning into a flatbed trailer. Probably could have been saved, but I was too traumatized to ever use it again after seeing an ants nest.

9. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

I've always found the best way to deal with mice is a little bait, glue boards (don't do so well in cold climate, glue isn't tacky enough) and giving them somewhere else to go. Attract them to a wood pile, pile of bricks, something other than your pup. Ounce of prevention type of thing. I'd rather deal with a dead rodent than clean up after a live one. Or get yourself a kitty [}:)]

10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Tom Cat poison bait blocks in bait stations place near your camper, but not in it will eliminate your problem.

11. mpking

mpking Well-Known Member

Already did that. The gravity fill passes thru this compartment to the water tank underneath. All of the foam sealant had deteriorated, leaving a nice 2 inch hole in the floor of the camper. That got filled as part of the winterization.

12. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

The mouse is not locked inside your camper now, is it?