I hope the return trip is better

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by grcooperjr, Aug 26, 2011.

1. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Well... What a trip so far to Idaho for the Idaho Star Party........ We left the house at 3:00 am for Idaho... Got to Throutdale Oregon...(30 miles from home) Left wallet at home.couldn't pay for gas.... Used internet connection at Truck stop to transfer money to wifes account to pay for gas..... Went back home to get wallet. Hit the road again.. Had tread delam on the right trailer tire....(110 miles into trip) Changed tire at rest area in The Dalles Oregon... Found a les schawb store bought a new tire.... On the road again... 20 miles east of Arlington Oregon, the other tire blows out....(150 miles from home) Change out the tire on the freeway. Drive to Pendelton Oregon to another schawbs and got another tire. on the road again at noon, arived @ the campground @ 6pm... 103 degs outside.... but we made it.....

So much for Coopers assurance that our tires were not involved in the recall....

2. Penny Logan

Penny Logan The traveling teepee in her Dreamcatcher

Just think, the remainder of your trip has got to be better :)

3. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

It can't get much worse...can it? Did you keep the old tires? I would have and marched them right into the dealer that told you that they weren't involved in the recall! If they did the same thing as the recalled tires did you may be able to get replacements out of the deal.

4. Mosbyranger

Mosbyranger Onward, thru the fog...

Mosbyranger recommends a tall cold adult beverage and an easy chair and a campfire.
    MR

5. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

X2 [8D] Have Fun Now [:D]

6. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Wow, what a start. Might explain why I always feel a little anxious before a trip. A few things can go wrong along the way.

7. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I like Dr. Mosbyranger's prescription.
    Sorry to hear about your tires. Sounds like the blowout(s) didn't damage the trailer, so that's good.
    Excuse me for a second while I pat myself on the back for getting those tires off my e-2. I was worried about that same thing happening, and damaging the trailer.
    What kind of tires did you replace them with?

Greg

8. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

That's horrible! A lesser camper might have given up.

9. papachaz

papachaz New Member

oh my hacksaw!! i learned a LONG time ago, don't ask what else can go wrong, you will most certainly get that question answered! [:O]

10. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

papachaz - Ditto! It can always be worse. [:D]

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

This is the second person I have read of recently with two bad tires on one trip!! It was another brand of tires involved in the other incident. Are there any decent trailer tires out there????

Anyway, I hope the rest of your trip makes up for the bad start. [:D]

12. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope the rest of your trip is better.

13. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Well... The Starparty is allright so far other than the temps out side. It is just slightly cooler than the surface of the sun in the day. But, the POPUP GIZMO"s work GREAT. at least it allows the AC to cool things off.

I'll post a few pic's as soon as I can of the area and the remains of the tires. The only trailer damage is both mud flaps and their hangers were riped off. So I'll have to fab something up when we get back home next week.

As to the new tires... It's a tire labled by the Les Schwab brand so I don't know allot about them. The are the same load range "C" 15" tire and the max weight is a little higher than the Cooper Durango 15's that failed.

The WDH made the handling really a non event other than the bump of the tread going away. I can imagine what it would have been like at hwy speeds with out the sway control.

14. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Left side tire shreaded....
    [​IMG]

15. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

Ouch!! Like UT said, way to tough it out and not give up. About the sway control, I think an added benefit of the gear rack on E2's and E3's is getting those trailer wheels further back from the TV. I think that adds a lot of stability. The previous owner of my pup used to tow with a Jeep Wrangler, and someone else on here was recenty planning on towing an E3 with a wrangler. I don't know about that short wheelbase at highway speeds, sounds a little sketchy.

Greg

16. grcooperjr

grcooperjr Lunatic

Well... the H3's wheelbase is not the longest either but it is a bit longer than a wrangler....

Anyway.... here is a link to the rest of this years trip to ISP. This trip really wore me out this year. Between the tires and the heat, it took 3 days at home to recover. But it was fun see old friends again. The heat ( 107 to 112) kept me sequstered in the trailer alot. Thanks to Popup Gizmos and AC but I did manage to get a few pictures of other than the tires.
    The older I get the harder it is on me to deal with the heat and fire smoke from the forest fires....