I just want to say Thank You.

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by cma7777, Oct 1, 2014.

1. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't read that person's posts, either.

2. generok

generok Well-Known Member

I keep coming back to this forum too. In general, I find it positive, but I do know what you mean... if you post about a SPUT, you are very likely to hear about how you could have killed everyone around you or how everyone else checks that particular item every 15 minutes... it's frustrating, but I still post my SPUTS. I even take time to COMPLIMENT folks who post THIER SPUTS.

The only issue I seem to have is I've noted two schools of thought here:

1. Conduct everything by a factory trained certified mechanic according to the manufacturer's recommendations

2. Get 'er done

I see a lot of folks ask "how can I fix this" and being of the engineering AND mechanic persuasion, I see plenty of ways to get something back on the road. But warnings and predictions go out that I think scare newbies to death. Sure, some threads get out of hand (BAL vs. Wood vs Lynx and just about any generator thread) but in general, I find inspiration here. I HAVE learned though, when I go on a "get 'er done" project for the PUP, I don't post it.

But, by in large, this is a great forum. Most folks are genuinely trying to help, or post their good ideas. In fact, though I resisted initially and wanted to stick with my trusty old single stage trickle charger, I DID just buy a 5-stage smart charger based on the evidence I've seen through the years here. So, it converted me.

I too would like to say thank you. Sure, I have my frustrations on here, but I keep coming back. I don't visit the Ford Powerstroke forum any more... too much hostility.

Good thread! I feel better now! [LOL] [LOL]

3. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Great thread.

I tend to be opinionated at times, but I try to make it clear that it's just my opinion.

I don't *get* why people would want to camp with satellite HDTV. But hey, it's you're life, your camp season, and if that's what makes you happy... I have to admit that whenever I see a thread about how someone added a new TV to their pup or some such I want to reply with an opinionated remark, but 99.9% of the time I restrain myself lol.

I can't imagine people arguing over the best type of campground. Go where you like. I tend to prefer state/county parks... but if others like a resort-style with pool and mini golf I'm not gonna complain, heck I wouldn't mind staying in one of those once in awhile too. I've not yet tried boondocking as we're not set up for it (no toilet facilities, etc) but it's something I'd love to try eventually.

4. Customer

Customer Well-Known Member

I may be different than some. I LOVE dissenting opinions provided comments are tasteful, polite, well written, and without malice.

If everyone thought the same there would be nothing new to learn. I love the exposure to different ideas and new ways of doing things.

I only came to this forum recently after the moderators of another pop up forum refused to reign in a rude and inconsiderate member of that forum.

5. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

x2

6. wapwap

wapwap New Member

I agree with tfischer on his points I quoted above. And I truly enjoy reading the thoughts others post about their ways of camping, different kinds of camp sites, etc. But I usually just read those threads and move on because I've got nothing to add to the conversation.

I think the last part of your sentence is the key to it - tasteful, polite, well written, and without malice. I agree with your thoughts about everyone thinking differently. I think it's in how those thoughts are expressed that makes all the difference. I think PopUpSteve and all the other admins on this site do a wonderful job of "policing" the threads and those who can't keep things at least civil, while still maintaining the information and conversations that are being had here. :)

7. 1951 bear

1951 bear Active Member

I find that I quickly tiew of whining and complaining. I also tire of self proclaimed "experts" spouting selected facts (many of which are of questionable origin) in order to advance thier camper/camping style/equipment as the only real option. I'm one of those folks who are blessed with mechanical skills. I like to fix it myself. I have many friends who are not so blessed, but possess skills and talents that I do not have; doesn't make me better or make them better. Variety makes life intresting. We're not clones and should not be mind numbed robots drummed around by "experts." Ideas from knowledgable, level headed folks is always welcome as long as it's not a lecture or a rant. Your convictions belong to you and you should be willing to share them and be adult enough to agree to disagree with folks when you can't compromise. Listening to other's ideas and convictions promotes learning and causes you to reflect on your own pet opinions andif you're honest with yourself you just might find that your convictions are modified in a positive way. There are plenty of things wrong in this world that are worthy of your ire rather than harping on a fellow camper. [2C]

[PU] [PUT]
    BEAR

8. tanyaewa

tanyaewa New Member

I agree with the OP. I enjoy reading, but wonder why some threads get so testy.
    We have had our PUP for 2 years and I have learned so much in the past 3 months since finding this site.
    My hubby originally found it what he needed to do a front box repair on our Coleman Yukon. Since then, I read frequently and share with him.

Thanks too for the explanation of stabs vs jacks. I shamefully admit when I camped last in mid september with my boys and hubby stayed home, I used them to level completely. AND I tried to lift the roof while it was to level. I get it now. Bad bad bad. But it was an honest mistake. We are very clever and conscientious but didn't think that we needed more than common sense and experience with our pervious RV.

I have been combing the forums and have learned so much now. My huge thanks to all who contribute.

I bought a BAL leveller on the way home as well as lynx blocks. A gift to hubby that we will try out on out last camping trip of the year for Thanksgiving.

9. Ktamsor2

Ktamsor2 That which doesn't kill me..........should run.

[​IMG]

10. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Personally I think it's somewhat entertaining to see that someone is getting seriously angry at a computer screen. We've all got opinions, we've all got our thoughts, we all take action differently. Communism blows and we all know it. Welcome to the wonderful world in which we live. Here on the portal is no different. We are like minded folks with different capabilities and levels of knowledge
    I'm a chance by trade, but there are many here who have brought things to my attention many times, yak is a perfect example of that,and this is how we as humans learn....through mistake and correction.

I actually enjoy everyone's opinions, no one is ever right or wrong, but you as an individual have the power to choose which path to take. In the end, regardless of what you do with your pup, collect in your time, or buy with your money, you aren't taking any of it with you when it's all said and done. And no matter how much someone thinks they're better than you, I promise your grave will be just as deep as theirs.

11. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Count me old and perplexed???? [:!] [?:~{]

12. JetMech

JetMech Member

Thats why I have been a member on here for two years (as of yesterday !) and I only have like 40 posts. People on other forums totally made me feel like an idiot and I have just felt like I'll keep my opinion to myself. I posted under Checkout my Rig a picture of my new camper being towed by my Yukon Hybrid. My title was "Can I use a Prius to pull a camper?" It was a joke subject to get people to look at my rig. However I was not surprised when someone wrote out a long reply to me about how I shouldn't even attempt that. No duh.... did you even READ my post? [:(]

Anyhow "HITTING LIKE BUTTON" now

13. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Chance=mechanic, sorry auto correct.

14. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

THANK YOU [:D] ; just so you all know, conceit a fault ,i have no faults and i'm a lot better looking than i think I [;)] am. or at least a friend of mine always told me that. but you are all so without any big problems, truly a great place for opinions :wink: and even when they are different they show how humanity is special. i appreciate all the ideas i read every day. and without any conceit at all thanks to all these people out here who keep us going. thanks, moderators, and 10,000 plus post members to members who are just signing on for first time. thanks all who post great adventures to those who have cast iron skills i have learned. thanks for those with like type campers and those who have totally different ideas of camping. thanks for you all. :)

15. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

I believe the saying is..."Opinions are like A$$holes, everyone has one."

I really don't care about what people think about me. I've posted my camping pics in other forums and gotten replies about how having a popup isn't real camping.
    Yeah, let me just march my wife and 3 year old twins 20 miles out in the woods, that'll be a BLAST.

16. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I ignore opinions. You think people will sway the way they camp because you offer an opinion? Fat chance. Boondocking, KOAs, electronics, no electronics, T.V., no T.V., generator, no generator, ... People will explore and find how they like to campe. I can't agree more
    If you want peace, stick to the facts. White wire goes to negative. That is a fact, not an opinion. Can't run AC on 12v. That is a fact, not an opinion. If you want a fight, offer an opinion. There is always someone who will oppose it.

Well, that is my opinion.

17. hr@thepod

hr@thepod Member

Since getting our vintage pup this year. This site has given me all the instructions with pics of all the work I plan to tackle in the coming winter/year. Roof brace, roof paint, wheel bearings, lube whiffletree, and other convenience mods. I have good mechanical skills and all the info I've read here has made me positive I can handle it.
    And I love seeing all the mods people come up with.
    Keep up the good work

18. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We are grateful for all of you and this awesome community! We love it! Popup Portal is the best there is.
    M&K

19. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

Even though I do not reply or post very often I thank everyone for their posts on problems that they have had which at times have helped me avoid having the same problem.

20. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

LOL my mom was in town this past weekend and she told me that her pastor informed her that I wasn't really camping as I was in a popup lol.

Some think I'm not really camping because I'm not in a Winnebago