I knew it would happen sooner or later ...

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Buckmaster81, Jul 25, 2019.

1. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Active Member

just got home from a trip and the %#*|?* lift broke when I tried to open it and empty it out. I’m so aggravated!

What can you tell me? I gotta get it fixed by next week because we’re leaving again for another trip plus I need to unpack the thing!

I took off the sprocket cover and the whiffle tree cover off and it looks like whatever is built into the cable carriage with the threads to match the lift rod are either stripped or no longer attached to the carriage. What are it options here? Argh

2. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

Does the crank handle spin freely when you try to crank? ...but the roof just doesn't go up?

Can you pull out the brass piece that the crank anndle slips into?
    (as in if you pull it with your fingers, will it just slide out?)

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Check out Coleman Guy on Youtube and do also do search there for Coleman lift system. You will find lots of tutorials.

HappyTraveler likes this.
  4. Buckmaster81

And it’s spitting out ball bearings..

5. Buckmaster81

It all works except the carriage does not engage the threaded rod.

6. Buckmaster81

Sorry not the carriage but the draw bar. I had to invent a word for it as I haven’t read up much yet.

7. Buckmaster81

Whiffletree drawbar is broke and irreparable. The bearing retainer is chipped so the bearings let loose and ran out of the threads. New and improved one with no bearings and a finer thread on order.
    I’d like to talk to the engineer who designed that one. I just can get my head around why they would over complicate such a simple system and introduce so many points of failure.

On the bright side, it should be much easier to crank with the new system.

megcabra and HappyTraveler like this.
  8. SHFL

SHFL Active Member

I am glad you were able to determine what was wrong.

9. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

It sounds like you already ordered the new wiffletree, which is also what I did (and I'm happy with it). But if the only thing broken is the "draw bar", for others, there may be another fix: it looks to me that if you put _any_ kind of nut on the wiffle tree screw, "below" the draw bar (towards center of camper), and make sure that it can't spin as the wiffletree screw turns, then as the wiffletree turns, the new nut will walk its way up the screw and push the draw bar along as it goes.

It looks like some later Coleman campers used a "delrin platic nut" instead of a metal nut with bearings in the drawbar. There's a youtube video called "Coleman Camper Wiffle Tree Lift Fix" where the author fabricates this nut: he cuts a block of delrin in half, clamps it onto the wiffletree, then heats the wiffletree until the plastic melts and cools to become a single "nut" wrapped around the wiffletree (no need to "tap" the plastic with proprietary threading).

I'm happy with the $140 wiffle tree, but a block of delrin is only $5-$25!

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  10. Buckmaster81

I saw that video too and it’s a good idea, but I looked at this as an opportunity to fix a design flaw. From the day I bought this thing I hated the way it cranked up and down. I am hoping the new unit will help. Can/do you use a drill to open yours? Mine was so difficult/heavy a drill wouldn’t work. I’m hoping the newer thread pitch will make this battery powered drill possible. I mega loathe cranking up the roof.

11. SpecialGreen

SpecialGreen Member

Yes, I can confirm that the new "alternate wiffletree" has 1/3 more threads-per-inch than the Coleman original, and I can pop-up with a cordless DeWalt DCD777C2 ($100 at Lowes). I have a 10' Coleman SantaFe with heavier ABS roof, but no A/C unit. I didn't try a drill on the old wiffletree, so I don't know how much of this is due to the drill, the wiffletree design, or to just having new smooth metal packed with fresh grease.

Buckmaster81 likes this.
  12. Buckmaster81

Well it’s installed and it works but
    It’s absolutely zero percent easier to crank and yes It’s very well greased. It does go down much nicer though. It doesn’t jump and drop anymore which is good.
    I’m looking into that Dewalt drill... any others I should check out? Corded is probably best, I’m almost always going to be near power. I hate harbor freight power tools but for this purpose I may just give them a look. I can’t see spending more that $75 on a drill when I don’t need anymore drills, and I could probably properly fit on an electric lift motor for $100-$150 more.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2019