I let some friends borrow our popup...

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by Andy G., Jul 16, 2020.

1. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

We have some good friends at our church. They wanted to try camping for the first time, and we let them borrow our pup. I went through everything with them, and they were very excited and looking forward to their trip. On the second day, they had a huge rainstorm that collapsed the awning. Bent and broke two of the three roof rafters, and bent the pipe that runs across the end of the awning. The awning itself was not damaged. Fortunately, the pipe across the end was just a piece of 1/2" galvanized pipe with some holes drilled into it, so I fixed that easily. I was able to fix one of the two broken rafter poles by combining parts from the two broken poles, and I got lucky and found a replacement rafter pole on eBay. End result: all is good, and our friends had an otherwise great time. They were upset about the awning, but I know it could have happened to anyone. I certainly wasn't mad about it. To me, knowing they had a good time made it totally worth it, and I'm hopeful they will become campers. Moral of the story is to slope the end of the canopy, and keep an eye on those awnings for water pooling.
    Andy

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020
  2. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

Forgot to mention that I didn't show them how to set up the awning. I just talked about it. My bad.
    Andy

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    akriot likes this.
  3. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

You're a good guy. Many people are too protective of their popups to share them. Glad you're able to get it fixed!

4. akriot

akriot Active Member

You are a good guy! Hopefully they will continue to camp!:D

Andy G. and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Your not kidding, I wouldn’t even trust my own family with mine. Well I can trust my parents but that’s the extent. If I was supervising, sure. Part of it is I’m only marginally handy I’m Always learning on the fly, my popup manufacturer has discontinued so parts are harder to find and shops refuse to work on it. Top it off, It took me 5 years to save up for my popup. So I’m kind protective.

to the OP glad you were able to fix and find parts. You are a good person.

Alan, sandreas, Andy G. and 3 others like this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Glad things worked out ok... I, personally, have been burned too many times. There isn’t much I loan out anymore. It’s too bad, but that’s what happens I guess.

7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

I think it is OK to let folks borrow it. My advice would be to help them do a full set up and take down in their driveway first and then have them do a camp driveway overnight. That way most all of the questions they might have should pop up and you can assist them before they are out on the road. For sure the awning thing can happen to anyone, same thing happened to me with my own awning, similar pole issues and emt to the rescue along with a visit to the Jayco store because a few of the end pole tips got sheared off.

8. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I like your attitude Andy. :) You the best! Best way to introduce people to camping, is to help them get out.

Andy G. and James Rucker like this.
  9. tzmartin

tzmartin Well-Known Member

Did they like it? If so you'll be grooming a new camping buddy.

Andy G. likes this.
  10. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Maybe the awning part was a blessing....I think they are more hassle than they are worth.
    But at least you did your part in introducing them to camping.
    Your a better person than me...To many things can happen to screw up things on a pop up
    for me to loan one out to first timers.
    Glad it worked out for you though.

Andy G. likes this.
  11. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

That is excellent @Andy G. , precisely why we refer to our Popup as a Kingdom Camper (with apologies to Larry Burkett) and our boat as a Kingdom Boat, etc. It ain’t mine, it’s just my name on the paperwork. I have had to repair the boat trailer, and my old truck came back with a bent bumper one time. So far, people have been too intimidated to tow/setup the Popup. So, I have taken it to the lake and set it up for a family. It convinced them they wanted a camper, but not a Popup :). Keep up the Good Work.

artwolf, Andy G. and Nani2 like this.
  12. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

no way would I loan out a contraption with so many moveable parts, electrical systems,etc.

Alan and Spridle like this.
  13. Mitchell Porter

Mitchell Porter New Member

Maybe I'm a weinie, but I would take them camping the first time rather than say "Here's the steak, there's the lion. You'll figure it out."

Jack Sprat likes this.
  14. bronsta

bronsta New Member

I loaned my pup once! My brother-in-law borrowed it for a week long trip in Pennsylvania. Two days into his trip, he's back without my pup. He says there was a bear outside the camper during the night, so he put the family in the car and drove home -- without my camper.
    He ultimately went back to get it but... NEVER AGAIN!

the-one1, Andy G. and Rik Peery like this.
  15. artwolf

artwolf New Member

Where did you get the replacement parts for the canopy poles? Are they called "rafter poles?" I've tried to find parts for mine (the latches are all messed up and don't work) but I haven't been able to find anything. Canvas is good, but needs new poles. Any hints? What did you search on in eBay?

16. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

17. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

I searched "rafter pole" and found the pole on ebay. I had to saw two inches off the end, and it fits perfectly. Under $20 too!

artwolf likes this.
  18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I don't loan the PUP nor do I loan my truck. Granddaughter ask me to borrow my truck to move recently, I asked her if she had bumped her head. I did haul some stuff for her, but I'm not even fond of DW driving my truck (she wrecked it once).

Rik Peery likes this.