I may have to say farewell... Dialysis and camping

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by redjacket, Sep 12, 2012.

1. redjacket

redjacket In memory of Nick Dilal, Sr. 1931-2005

Well, it's time. After 6 months wishing and hoping and praying to delay it, DH has started kidney dialysis. I figured we wouldn't be able to go camping anymore since he can't be too far from a dialysis center, so I am planning to give the pup to my eldest son so he can take the kids camping. I told him I get visitation rights to it! I'm pretty bummed as I would already have next summers big trip pretty well planned by now. Just for my own curiosity, is there anyone out there that does in-center dialysis and still camps?

2. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

Have you looked into portable systems? I have not seen them, but have heard of them and just wonder if that might be a solution

3. Team cmk

Team cmk Member

One option might be to enlist the help of the dialysis center your husband will be going to. They may be able to help you with another center that is in the area where you will be camping. Hate the thought of anyone having to give up something that they love to do. Best of luck to you.

4. pasobuff

pasobuff Active Member

5. PDieter

PDieter Member

I have a friend in my fishing club who still gets out on extended camping trips and uses local dialysis facilities. I guess it depends on how often DH has to hook up

6. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Sorry to hear that. Hope all goes well for him.

7. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I'd agree with PDieter....maybe your current center OR even your insurance carrier, can give you a list of facilities in the area you want to camp. If you plan your trips around that, I bet he'd enjoy camping all the more! [A]

Good luck!!
    [:D]

8. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Sorry to hear this. Hope that there are some alternatives for you so you can at least make short trips. We hadn't camped for 3-4 years as my husband has health/mobility issues. We bought a new PUP this spring, and due to scheduling, having only been able to get out on an occasional weekend. DH has some limitations, and I do most of the set-up. But it was worth it, when after a weekend of successful fishing, he said "This is the most fun that I've had in the past 4 years".

9. jjkach

jjkach New Member

Sorry to hear this! Hope there are alternatives that you will be able to camp around or close to facilities that are near campgrounds.

10. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

I agree this does not mean you have to give up camping. You would be amazed at the number of dialysis centers. Recently went thru a one light town here in NC was surprised by the large brand new dialysis center. There are also home dialysis/portable units.

11. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

This information is really good to have, My diabeties may cause me to have that same problem. I would rather die than give up camping. My wife says I have no love of the trees, grass, flowers, etc. She doesn't know that I'm not looking for a full time job keeping up with our yard flowers, I like going to the great outdoors and letting GOD do the nature gardening. [{}=]She thinks she has to do all that work at home stuff, bah humbug

12. Lauren5280

Lauren5280 Member

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope things go well and you'll be camping again in no time.

13. kdpop

kdpop New Member

Hello and I understand your concerns. My 75 year old father-in-law is on dialysis. He went from 3 days in center to 5 days at home. Its called next stage. When we camp or travel we have the center call ahead and get him a chair/seat at a centerthat is close to where we are. You would be surprise at the people who actually have kidney disease. There are a lot of centers nationswide. Please do not let it deter you from having or giving up what you enjoy. It is a lifestyle change, but it doesn't mean you have to change your style of life. Good luck and ask questions.

14. woodsman1st

woodsman1st An outdoorsman of 78 years no exp w/ pop up trlrs

I realize this is an old topic, but "Chronic Kidney Disease Stage 4 with Renal Failure" is a brand new problem for me and I am in great need of advice.

I went into detail on this a few months ago when I was still in shock over finding out what my problems were; so no detail here again; but will discuss details by PM if someone .

In a nutshell, back in Jan and Feb of this year I suddenly began making 8 to 12 visits to my local Emergency Room; not one of these visits was I sent home. This was for an unbelievable variety of very serious medical problems. One example: I went in with my blood pressure at 46/34, or close to it on 2 or 3 occasions. The other visits for problems simular in seriousness. Don't tell me that Kidney Disease doesn't affect your BP like this please; you dont know the entire story and how they can be related.

Anyway after a dozen or more visits that scared the devil out of me, I asked the ER Doctor: "What the heck is going on with me; why am I having all these close calls with death?
    His reply stunned me. "Well Ken, you have "Chronic Kidney Disease Stage Four with Renal Failure". My GFR was at 24. His reply wasnt exactly as stated, but the Kidney Disease and GFR is exact.

Now for the good news (pardon my gallows humor).
    It turns out that around 2 1/2 years ago my good doctor entered into my medical records that I had Kidney Disease.
    THE GOOD DOCTOR THEN FORGOT TO TELL ME; HE FAILED TO SET ME UP WITH A KIDNEY DOCTOR; HE FAILED TO PLACE ME ON A DIET; HE FAILED TO PUT ME ON ANY KIND OF MEDICINE, AND IN FACT CONTINUED TO WRITE MONTHLY PRESCRIPTIONS FOR MY PAIN MEDS AND ALL 3 OF THEM CONTAIN "ACETOMINOPHINES", THEY OF COURSE DID A GREAT JOB OF SPEEDING ALONG MY KIDNEY DISEASE TO WHERE IT IS NOW!
    A rough definition of the GFR I mentioned earlier means that my GFR at 24 means that only 24% of my Kidneys are functioning and one is dead or dying. Thats how I have been told GFR works.

So here is where I am now; my GFR has improved a tad up to 28 to 32 and it bounces around there consistently.

So my friends I'm fairly devastated by this sudden downturn in my health Oh I forgot....IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS MY WEIGHT DROPPED FROM A HEALTHY MUSCULAR 185 POUNDS WITH LITTLE TO NO FLAB AND 14 1/2" ARMS, DOWN TO 132 POUNDS! That has improved a tad up to 135 pounds but there it hangs.

So any advice or information would be greatly appreciated; presently I don't know squat and all of my Doctors seem reluctant to explain things, I have already gotten rid of one Kidney doctor and of course the idiot with the faulty memory that has put me on a very slippery sloap is no longer my doctor.
    If you have anything tell me; assume I am like i said; I DON'T KNOW SQUAT.
    If it's very personal please use the PM method to communicate; but if not super personal you can answer me hear. I don't mind telling everyone that I am scared to death right now; but at least I can now discuss it without breaking down and making a slob out of myself. It was a shock!

Ken

15. Stanbiker

Stanbiker New Member

No need to let dialysis keep you from camping. I did NxStage at home, and just brought a generator with me when camping. It requires some supplies so space is tough to find, but I didn't let it stop me. Feel free to PM if you want to talk about it.

16. Pill Billy

Pill Billy New Member

Ken,

I work as an Inpatient Pharmacist at a medium size Hospital that coincidentally cares for the HD/PD patients in our area. You can PM me with your questions.

Brian

17. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

My brother had a heart attack while we were out camping with extended family, my wife is a RN and had to attend. My brother was taken to hospital code 3 and then transferred to a trauma hospital that was better equipped. He survived but found out his kidneys were only functioning at 8%. He was already a type 2 diabetic and had stopped taking his meds. He just recently had quad bypass heart surgery in order to qualify to be on the transplant list and they put him on Hemo dialysis, it has now been almost 5 weeks post op and he is trying to wean of Hemo and going back to his portable home dialysis machine. It is portable enough to take camping but he has to be at a powered site to run the machine.

18. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

I was thinking the same thing West Coast....I have a friend who does ALL his dialysis at home. Nothing stopped him from doing his 'chores' at home and he could really go anywhere there is power and he can hang his IV bag!!

If I were in your predicament, I'd sternly tell the docs to tell you WTH is going on and then make plans to live life one day at a time and get the most out of them...which, of course, would be camping!! [A]

Good luck and TAKE CHARGE of your medical care!!

[:D]

19. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

We hope that you will keep camping. It sounds like it's important medicine for you and your family.
    M&K

20. fundus

fundus New Member

I do home hemo and feel soooo much better than I did in center. It's portable but heavy. I just find a center for on or two times if I travel. Did PD for a few years and was great. For camping or travel w/trailer. Just doesn't work as well w/type 1 DM but easy if you can do it. This is the 13th year for dialysis and I definitely plan to keep camping. Good luck