I may very well be done with pop ups after this ....

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Buckmaster81, Jul 31, 2019.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Not to start a "thing" but Starcraft was built a lot better before Jayco bought them out. Not sure how it all went down, but 70's, 80's and 90's Starcraft were built like brick s@*t houses... maybe they slid before the buyout.... by 2000 they were using a really cheesy lift system - the same as my '14 Jayco.

2. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Our is a 97 and the PO didn't maintain it well at all. It needed a lot of cosmetic work and some modern upgrades, but usability was and is fine. The lift crank was missing and they were using a homemade one that didn't work well at all. Went online to order one and everywhere showed a square one for a Goshen system. According to every site I found our PUP and all after 94 had a Goshen lift system, it does not! Confirmed with VIN plate that it is a 97, but it has a Starcraft lift system that uses the oval shaft in a hole through the side of the frame near the back on the curb side. It works great except being so low I have to get on my knees to raise and lower the roof. Herniated disk at L4-L5 doesn't allow bending over for more than a couple seconds.

3. daveo1289

daveo1289 Active Member

I always wondered why I had many many, tough repairs on the machines I worked on during my career as a mechanic. I had the exact same theory as you do. It's nice to know I wasn't nuts!!

Be-Ce, J Starsky and HappyTraveler like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hope it gets fixed, and that is the end of your problems. Your luck has to turn around.

5. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Actually they were overbuilt for the market at that time and couldn't compete on price. I don't remember the actual timing, but Starcraft went under and disappeared from the market for a short time, until Jayco bought them out and resumed production. I think the recent changes are more due to the buyout by Thor.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2019
    neighbormike and rjhammetter like this.
  6. Buckmaster81

Buckmaster81 Active Member

Thanks

One way or another it’s getting fixed. I can’t use a broken pup and I certainly can’t sell one if that’s what I decide to do. Some of your posts have pulled me back from the ledge a little but I’m still going to need see this thing function reliably before even consider hanging on to it.
    At this point It may be a few weeks before I get to it. I’ll be sure to update when possible.

J Starsky, xvz12, BillyMc and 4 others like this.
  7. Buckmaster81

After going through two whiffle trees from RV workshop I gave up on them and their product. Until right now I doubted every pulley, cable and lift post in this camper.
    I just installed a brand new OEM whiffle tree and it went up and down flawlessly with one third of the effort as the aftermarket one and twice as fast.

I really wish I bought the OEM one first. It would have saved a camping trip, saved the money I spent on a cabin rental, and my kids would know far fewer curse words.
    I would need a keyboard and desktop to even have a chance at writing what I went though with them and it camper this month ( and maybe I will ) but the bottom line is, there’s nothing wrong with the lift system on this camper and RV workshop won’t honor their warranty and refund my money for their trash. I’m so happy this thing works and equally as furious at RV workshop. Buyer beware. If you have a 12’ box with AC, you need to avoid this product. It may work great on smaller pups but not mine.

8. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Glad you finally got it to work! Man , life sometimes is hard, and you had a rough go at putting in whiffle trees.

Buckmaster81 likes this.
  9. BillyMc

Glad to hear you got it working. Now go make some great memories with the family. Sometime in the next couple summers we will be making a trip to your neck of the woods. DW never been to the Big Apple and wants to go. I have been (work) a couple times, and being the country boy I am, I wasn't impressed. I'll brave the concrete jungle for a couple days if it makes her happy. She want to see Grand Central Station, Times Square, and art. I know it's basically a parking lot, but Liberty Harbor is at the top of the list. It's location looks like we can park, setup camp, and not have to drive anywhere.

10. Buckmaster81

I never thought of going camping to a city. That’s like the Opposite of what I think of. Sounds like a fun trip though. Squeeze in a broadway show too if you can.

11. BillyMc

Yeah, we use our PUP for camping and a mobile hotel room. Brought home some very unwanted pest once. Several hundred dollars and some new bedroom furniture later I vowed I would do everything in my power to not stay in a hotel again! She wants to see one of those too. The plan is to spend two nights somewhere in the mountains about half way there. Then three to four night to see NY. On the way home two to three nights near Norfolk Va. to spend time with DD and the other grandkids.