I need a different food

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by jayco1997, May 7, 2014.

1. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

I know how you feel. After a while hot dogs and hamburgers does get old. Don't get me wrong, I like them but I'm with you, I like something different. I'll mix it up and cook Kabobs, Bar-b-que some chicken halves, grill pork chops, fry a pan of potatoes, make tacos, loaded hash browns, make fresh cut french fries, baked beans, chicken fried steak, steam some shrimp, fry fish or make sloppy joes, just to name a few. The possibilities are endless. This is why I have an outdoor kitchen set up every time we camp. Cooking is part of the fun camping for me.

Campit

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We have made chili and froze it in Ziploc bags and reheated it at the campsite. Also, a simple chicken and rice dinner in the DO is very simple and takes 45 minutes. We have done spaghetti and meatballs, steak on the grill over a campfire. Chicken on the grill on the campfire as well. Even made BBQ corn on the cob!!

For lunches we will bring stuff to make sandwiches, no cooking required!!

3. scout48

scout48 New Member

fajitas or quesadillas and stir fry come to mind. not hard. one skillet. Also, I keep a half a dozen chickens as pets and have tons of eggs. you can do so much with eggs. Check out food network's page and look up Alton Brown's refrigerator pie. So versatile and uses the breakfast left overs. Don't tell folks its a quiche and they'll go to town on it. I have a coleman camp oven for my camp stove, but it can be done in a dutch oven.

4. HappyFamily

HappyFamily Member

If you truly want a new variety of foods, try switching your cooking method. It could be as simple as new skewers for kabobs, a stand up chicken roaster, charcoal grill, dutch oven, pie irons, or an adjust-a-grill.

I bought for myself a 10" electric fry pan to do "one pot" meals when it is raining and it cleans up fast and easy so I use it more often than that and can cook right on the picnic table. When the boys are older I want an adjust-a-grill but I am too afraid that they will touch it now.

5. rinrat86

rinrat86 Member

Hot dogs and smokies over the fire are the standard start to our campout. Kids dont like burgers so that isnt an option. Anything goes! We have done stir fry, thai curry, beer can chicken. We have cooked chili and stew both by making it at home and freezing, and from scratch over the fire. Indian tacos are great - pan fry bannock for the shell, precook and season the beef at home.

6. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

We will brown 5 lbs. of ground chuck at home then freeze them is in 1lb. zip locks. That way at the camp ground I can open cans of sauce for spaghetti or cans for chilli or just heat and eat with ketchup of what ever. Don't have to deal with the grease.

7. sweetpea2331

sweetpea2331 New Member

One of our family favorites is cheese tortellini (buy Butoni refrigerated or even dried if you can find it) For sauce, we use a tomato bisque soup from our grocery store's deli section. After boiling the tortellini, we drain it and pour the soup into the empty pan. Heat the soup, add the tortellini back in and serve. One pan to clean instead of two! We add grated Parmesan, a bagged Caesar salad mix, and garlic bread that we wrap in foil and heat over the fire. Yummy!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. tsc

tsc Member

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this site

http://papadutch.home.comcast.net/~papadutch/dutch-oven-recipes.htm

Some of the recipes are labour intensive, but some real good ideas and starting points.

We like the "Hungarian Goulash", but we've modified it to our own needs.

For example,

we use butter instead of olive oil (we don't bring olive oil with us camping--not sure why, but we don't)

instead of ground beef, we use chunks of stew meat or cut up a roast (there is a dual purpose here. Left over chunks of raw meat, we marinade in garlic, soy sauce, sugar and put them on the marshmallow sticks and cook them over the fire--makes a nice evening snack or lunch the next day). Kinda like a shish-ka-bob.

we use garlic powder instead of real garlic (it's in our dry goods tub, so we don't forget it at home)

canned mushrooms instead of fresh, if we're not having it the first few days

We also cook it with different methods. At home, I use briquettes or in the oven. Camping it sits on a grate above the fire or on the gas stove.

Another thing we do, is have all the veg and spices prepped and labelled and the meats prepped and labelled (separately) in zip top bags. Then at camp, it's open packets, dump, simmer and done.

9. _chs_

_chs_ New Member

Here is what I do before we leave for an outing. This will feed 4-6 people. The day before I put 2 frozen, boneless chicken breasts in a crockpot. I cover with a can of medium enchilada sauce and cook on low all day. Meanwhile, I sauté an onion and add red chili powder. I drain and rinse a can of black beans and a can of corn, add that and a can of refried beans to the onion mixture. Add diced jalepanos, cilantro, olives to the mixture or whatever you like and set aside. About 7 hours later, I remove the chicken and shred it in a bowl. Add chicken to beans and put in a Tupperware. Bring flour tortillas, shredded cheese and another can of enchilada sauce. Add a small amount of sauce to Dutch Oven, Roll the enchiladas, place in dutch oven, cover with sauce and cheese. Bake until your ready to eat.

10. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Hobo dinner varies from recipe to recipe. It requires the least amount of work.
    http://goo.gl/NCEANk

11. ricknpeg1

ricknpeg1 New Member

That sounds like something I would love. I can do that.. Thank You...Rick

12. Jimbow

Jimbow Active Member

One of the best search terms is "one pot meals".

We also try to have several no cook meals planned on our summer trips. There are times when we don;t want to quit what we are doing to get back to the pup and cook dinner.

13. J Hynes

J Hynes New Member

Cedar plank salmon is good as well

14. BigJake

BigJake New Member

I cut up chicken into 1 inch cubes along with an onion and 3 bell peppers and marinate them in a tupperware container on the trip to the CG. once we arrive and set up, all you have to do is skewer and grill... i use the mcormick marinades... chipotle i think.. they are all pretty good.
    Also made small burgers and put them on hawaiian sweet rolls for nice little sliders...

15. bols2Dawall

bols2Dawall S.W. Ontario

Chicken Ceasar salad wraps . Real simple and real good
    Chicken , Bacon , Romaine lettuce , ceasar dressing , cheese

16. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

The other night, I made hamburger stroganoff. While we were eating it, I told DH that the last time I made it was last summer while we were camping in the PUP. It's easy to make:

Brown:
    1 lb ground beef
    1 onion, coarsely chopped
    with salt, pepper and parsley flakes

Add 1 can cream of mushroom soup with 1 soup can of water
    1 can of mushrooms. Bring to boil, and simmer for awhile.

Add 1/2 to 1 cup sour cream which has 2 tbsp. of flour added to it. Stir and cook until creamy.

Serve with prepared egg noodles.

Another thing that I do is cook baby back ribs at home (Place in roasting pan, put in about 2 inches of water, and bake at 325 for about 1 1/2 hour or until you can put a fork in the ribs and the meat flakes. Refrigerate and store in large plastic zip lock.

At camp, you simple coat with your favorite BBQ sauce and grill until heated through. This is a quick meal that works well for set-up night. I'll make these when it's just DH & I camping. One time I did this when we camped with another couple and their 2 teenage boys. I made a couple of boxes of shells and cheese and had heated up a big tub of my homemade beans. I had made 3 large racks of ribs. Deb and I each ate like 3 bones, and the 4 guys ate like it was their last meal. At the end of the meal, there was nothing left but bones.

Another meal that's easy, if you have a large pot is Low Country Boil. You fill the pot with water, add old bay seasoning and add kielbasa sausage, cut into chunks, corn on the cob (break in half), and baby red potatoes. I'm not giving amounts, just judge what you need for each person. Bring to boil and cook for 20 minutes. Then add uncooked shrimp and cook for another 5 minutes. I don't eat shrimp, so I take my portion out before the shrimp is added. It's a fun meal - I take a large serving tray lined with newspaper, place it on the table and let everyone dig in.

17. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

If you can stand another recipe or two, I haven't done these in a Dutch Oven but I think it would work.

Arroz con Pollo

Saute chicken (either cut up fryer, legs/thighs or I use boneless/skinless breasts) in fry pan or dutch oven until chicken is no longer pink.

To fry pan/dutch oven add a package of Vigo Saffron Yellow Rice and add water according to directions on package. Cover and simmer for 20 to 25 as directed on package.

Another version, I made while on a walleye fishing trip, so I call it Mille Lacs Chicken & Rice

Cook chicken as above, and use a package of Uncle Ben's Long Grain and Wild Rice (how appropriate as Mille Lacs is a wild rice lake) and cook according to directions on rice packet.

18. sallugo

sallugo Member

The last 2 camping trips we did, we cooked salmon. We prep it first before we leave. Inside of tin foil we will lay some green beans seasoned with salt and pepper. Next a slice of butter on top of that, then finally the salmon goes on top with some yellow pepper seasoning and a Slice of lemon. Just wrap it up...once it's time to cook, put the foil packet on the grill for 15 minutes and good to go. We'll usually make minute rice to go with it. Easy, fast and delish!!

[​IMG]

2014 Flagstaff Mac 228d
    2004 Ford Expedition 4x4 5.4L
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

Love to do the foil veggie packets, but do the meat separate so there's even cooking. After baking biscuits in the DO one Saturday, I threw a bunch of smaller red potatoes (in peel still). Covered with some coarse salt. Covered with lid and left the the DO where the fire (coals) was warm, but not flaming. Later in the day, the potatoes were delightful.