I Need A Tiny Part...Help!

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by NJDrummer, Oct 11, 2017.

1. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Hi, folks --

First, I apologize in advance for using what I am sure will be the wrong terminology and nomenclature. I'll do my best to not call things "the little thingy that connects to the big thing." (Which drives the DH nuts, of course!)

We had our 2010 Coachmen Clipper 126ST Sport up in the driveway to dry out after a trip last weekend. Once it was dry, we went out to pop it down. I removed the shepherd's hook from the front/queen bed and one of the rails on the big U-shaped bar at the end of the tenting fell down, as in fell through the opening at the end of the tenting and down to the ground. I heard something clatter on the driveway pavement, so I knew there had been a break of some sort.

We found a black sheath-type thing and what looked like an aluminum washer on the ground. You can see that the bar is supposed to be held in place by what looks like a rivet with the black sheath over the end of the bar(presumably to protect the fabric from the flanged end of the bar) but the flat end (so, not the head end) of the rivet has sheared off.

Any idea what this is called and where we can get a replacement? And/or, can we put a small nut and bolt in there?

Thanks in advance for any help anyone can give me!!

Leslie

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

I think a picture would be nice.

3. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

A picture! Of course! (It's been a while since I've been on and this process is far easier than it was before so I just ruled it out. But clearly it's easier now because I have managed to accomplish it!)

This is NOT my camper -- it's closed and I didn't take a pic. But I found this on the Internet and have circled the part that broke/sheared off the rivet. The photo below that is the actual rivet from my camper.

Bed End.jpg Rivet.JPG

4. JPBar

JPBar Well-Known Member

Take you plastic piece with you and get a barrel bolt that will fit,you can get at any home improvement store. Just my opinion though. Good Luck!
    [​IMG]

5. chambo

chambo Active Member

Check out the other side and see how/where it us supposed to fit.

6. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

I'll give it a try!

7. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Thanks, Chambo! I do see where it goes and how it fits together -- it's actually very clear. What I don't know is what the part may be called or how to find a replacement.

8. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

I am not sure what you are talking about when you talk about a black sheath thing.
    But the Bed Bow assy attaches to the bed bow bracket on the bed extension slide.

9. chambo

chambo Active Member

Ah, I see. I think JPBar was on the right track. Might not be the original equipment but as long as you get something sturdy that fits and provides the same functionality you should be fine. Good luck!

10. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

They sometimes call these Chicago screws in case you deal with an old timer.[:D]

pasobuff likes this.
  11. NJDrummer

NJDrummer Member

Thanks, all! I will try to get a bolt and give it a try.