I need help finding a new music genre

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Other Activities' started by Wrenchgear, Feb 8, 2017.

1. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yup, I'm confused.
    I used to be somewhat of a music guru. I owned, and still own, tons and piles of albums, cassettes, and some 8 tracks.

For the last couple of years, I find myself looking for a new type of music to listen to. I read all these threads on here about people wanting to put stereos of sorts into their Pups, and all I can think of is that there is nothing to listen to anyway, why bother?

Throughout the 70's and 80's, I listened to all the big Heavy Metal bands. From the South you had Skinard, 38 Special, Molly Hatchet, and more. You had the British guys like, Floyd, Dire Straights, Blk Sabbath, Zepplin, Iron Maiden, +++. Canada gave us Rush, Triumph, BTO, etc. Some of the main courses were VanHalen, Bon Jovi, Styx, U2, Journey, Metallica, G&R, Springsteen, R.E.M.
    Australia gave us AC/DC, INXS, Midnight oil, Crowded House, Men at Work,.........

I used to listen to all the 50's and 60's bands, including all the Surf music, did a bunch of Country and Bluegrass listening during the 80's, and even toyed with some New Wave during High School, like, The Tubes, Talking Heads, Platinum Blonde, The Cure
    More excellent music came from Blondie, The Pretenders, Fleetwood Mac, Lee Arron.

OMG, The lists can go on forever!

Those were, IMO, the best days of music ever.

Nowadays I can't even get into the mainstream garbage to try and dig deeper to see if there is any substance there. I hardly even know their names. You have Bieber, Drake, Kanye. All the girls like K Perry, Gaga (she did good at the Super Bowl though), Rhianna, countless others.
    It's all mindless dribble now. As soon as I hear some Rap, I instantly feel like I need to kill something. Holy Crap, get that junk away from me!
    My wife and daughters like Marianas Trench and Hedley and such. Son Stevie listens to absolutely anything and changes preferences daily (it seems).

I truly don't know what to listen to anymore. New stuff is boring, all the old stuff I've heard 20,000 times each and can't get into it anymore, and even a lot of the new country does nothing for me.

I need help, .....

What do you all listen to at the campsite that maybe just offside the mainstream of music?

2. sleach

sleach A short run will get you within walking distance.

With sadness, I have to agree with you about what's available now. All overproduced, homogenized, duplicate images.

Th last group I really liked was Barenaked Ladies.

jnc likes this.
  3. ZPARTY

ZPARTY New Member

There really is no good, NEW music being created. Seems everything has been done, and being rehashed with some new twist that really doesn't make it better in my opinion. Around the campfire (at night) I listen to Floyd, Zeppelin, Yes, CSN, Michael Hedges (amazing guitarist died too young)....etc During the day my music taste is more on the heavier side (Machine Head, Killswitch Engage, Shadows Fall)

4. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

Go to YouTube and type in Stoner Rock
    I think you will be curiously happy.
    If you liked Pink Floyd at all try Porcupine Tree.
    I have also found myself listening to Gangsta Grass made popular by the series Justified. It is a cross between Rap and Bluegrass. I hate Rap but mix in a little Bluegrass now where talkin.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

My husband and I have musical tastes in common, and some that vastly diverge. Makes listening in vehicle interesting. We do have a much larger play list in the TV now, since it has a plug in for the MP3 player. Hit "random" and away we go.

We listen to Celtic, Christian, miscellaneous, and some hard to define; it depends on who is classifying some of them (DH has a good portion of "his" collection listed as "pop" in our database). Loreena McKennitt, Capercaillie, Clannad, Fiona Joyce, James Taylor, Anonymous 4, Al Stewart, Rich Mullins, Chris Rice, Andrew Peterson, Michael Card, and a lot of others. DH has a a couple of separate MP3 players, one at work for his lunch hour walk. He has a lot of 70s-80s or so rock that I don't listen to. He just revamped the collections on those, including adding things only available on vinyl. He commented that some of the older stuff hadn't held up as well as he expected - memory of the music was better than it really was. He now has 5000+ songs on his players, mine (the one we use in the TV) probably only has 3000 or so.

ETA -I don't have a clue as to even what era/genre some of DH's music is - Yes, Five for Fighting, Steely Dan, Styx. According to the database, we have something over 900 CDs - I think there are some that we listened to once and never again.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

I keep the sat. radio in the truck tuned to one of the classic rock channels, or the 50's to 80's channels... Occasionally I venture off into the Country channels for something different...

I would have figured you grew up listening to the Big Bands of the 30's and 40's .. [:D]

7. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Since HS I listen to most of the bands Wrenchgear mentioned. But I also liked Country as well. I know what a mix!!!

Nowadays I listen to mostly todays Country. On Sat radio I listen to The Highway, Prime Country and Bluegrass. But I do like listening to older country as well.

8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I agree there is nothing interesting to listen to anymore. My niece was playing some music that she loved, but I'm sitting there trying to figure out why it is so interesting when it is all repeat. I'm now branching out into some world music, Celtic and Irish being my favorite. My dad found a station called world music on his satellite radio once that is actually quite interesting.

9. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

I took my daughter to the Red Hot Chili Peppers concert last night. If you are looking for something different the back up band was Trombone Shorty. They were really good and different from anything that I have listened to.

10. Redbird

Redbird Member

You're missing out on a lot of really awesome instrumental stuff. Check out Joe Satriani, Craig Chaquico, and Ryan Farish. Spend time browsing the "New Age/Electronic" section of iTunes. Soundcloud is another place to find new and interesting artists. Andrew Applepie (you can also find his stuff on iTunes) is one of my favorites who puts music on Soundcloud.

11. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

Check out Bucket Head for instrumentals.

12. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

[Guitar]
    Totally agree on Buckethead [Guitar] [:D]

13. Redbird

Redbird Member

I'll check them out! :) I'm always looking for new road trip playlists.

14. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Black Keys, white stripes (anything jack white), newer stuff 21 pilots. On Valentine's Day play The Weekend. Won't be for everyone but works for us.

I can listen to almost everything except pop country though.

15. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

I strongly disagree that there isn't good music being made today. Have you listened to any of the following: Chris Stapleton, Steeldrivers, The Devil Makes Three, Keb' Mo', Jeffrey Foucault, Mandolin Orange, Eileen Jewell, Blackberry Smoke, Delgado Brothers, Sturgill Simpson

There is a lot of good music - it's just not played on the radio much. I grew up listening to Steely Dan, Eagles and that style of music (and I still like it) but there is so much more if you look around.

16. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Check out the Drop Kick Murphys. Rose Tatoo.

17. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member

Dusty Road - great song...

18. crackerJack

crackerJack Well-Known Member

Check out some punk and metal covers of everything from classics to pop.

Yes The Weeknd is great for Valentines Day :)

19. MileHigh

MileHigh Active Member