I need help with removing plywood from aluminum

Discussion in 'Roof/Floor Repair & Maintenance' started by AJDRAGON, Sep 5, 2021.

1. AJDRAGON

AJDRAGON New Member

Hi

I am trying to replace the plywood on the rear aluminum sheeting, the old stuff is half rotted away, I am down to the last layer of the plywood, and the rotted stuff is coming off with a drill and wire wheel, but its the stuff that is not rotted that is putting up a fight. The wire wheel is taking ten times as long to go threw the good wood.

Does anyone know of a better way to de-laminate the wood from the aluminum sheeting?

IMG_5047.JPG

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

If the panel is completely off the trailer, a blow torch and a garden hose might work.. blow torch the wood.. or heat gun the aluminum..

3. Tarkus

Tarkus Member

If that was mine, I'd leave the good wood alone.
    I'd get some thin hobby plywood (like 1/8" thick) and glue (Gorilla) it to the section where the wood has rotted off.
    The glue will expand filling any gaps.

After curing for a couple days, sand the new wood to perfection. If done right, it should blend in nicely. You can also build up layers of thin plywood to perfection.

4. AJDRAGON

AJDRAGON New Member

Hi

I'll remember that for when I'm redoing the front one, I got a lot removed using a belt sander with a 50 grit belt. I'm at the point now where I just need to spend a couple more hours with the wire wheel and it will be done.

5. Overland

Overland Well-Known Member

Paint scraper with a nice sharp edge.. i did my entire camper and beside the wire wheel/drill the scraper was the most effective.

6. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

Sometimes an oscillating tool, with a scraper blade, works. A heat gun can be used to soften the adhesive.

7. nitrohorse

nitrohorse Active Member

Be careful using any type of tool, especially a powered tool like an oscillating type. It's easy to damage the aluminum skin when using tools. I simply removed the rotted wood, squared off the undamaged area, and put a piece of exterior Luan in the space. I then used fiberglass cloth and epoxy resin to strengthen the butted joints. It turned out stronger than the original back wall.