I need some HELP! Creative ways to remove decals.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Repairs & Maintenance' started by jberreth007, Oct 15, 2016.

1. jberreth007

jberreth007 Renoing our 91 Palomino TXL-LB!!! So much work!!!

So, I'm In rhe process of removing the decals from my1991 Palomino TXL and as you can imagine they are weathered and brittle. I was able to take the center stripe off with a blow drier but I am having major problem with the rest. I have tried heat, a rotary disk eraser (which kind of worked but I used two discs on a two foot section), a product called Oops which removes the paint but not the decals, have also used combinations of all three! What ideas or suggestions do you guys have? There are a lot of stripes and lettering left and I need a technique that works!

2. jberreth007

BTW, the aluminum siding on my pup is textured which makes it difficult to use a scrapper and I suspect is what ate up my decal remover disks. It was like making shredded cheese.

3. wastric

wastric New Member

get some 3M decal remover spray. It is available at Auto parts and paint and body supply houses. It is what the pros use to take off weathered decals and stripes off of cars. It softens the glue and helps the brittleness as well. It is safe for most paint types but always best to spot test it in an out of the way place 1st.

4. oldcold

oldcold New Member

I used a pressure washer to remove the decals on my 12 year old Jayco Baja, peeled them right off.

5. jnc

jnc Welcome from New Hampshire

How about a wire wheel on a drill.
    [​IMG]

6. fastlane

fastlane Race cars, Boats and campers Oh my.

i see you tried the strip it wheel. i have used them in the past with great success.

7. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

Any PSA remover should work. I like the citrus based removers. Let it sit and soak in for a while and they should come off. You may need to wash again with the remover to all of the residual adhesive off, but they should come off clean and leave the paint intact.

8. link81

link81 New Member

i second this idea

9. noahnsteph

noahnsteph New Member

10. jberreth007

This is the method I went with. It also stripped the paint but as I am repainting it is t that big of a deal. May require an extra coat to cover but was worth seeing the decals come off with ease!

Attached Files:

Ruikee likes this.