I need to improvise. Outdoor shower, portable hot water heater.

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by dbhost, Aug 9, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

So as I continue to make my steps toward fall "glamping" with my wife, most particularly for the Renaissance Festival which we both have a good time at with extended family, I am finding that after a long day watching people faux jousting, and playing dunk a wench, We tend to feel nastly by the time we get back to camp. Time for a shower, but no shower in the tent, nor in the truck cap camper we are rigging up, nor in the pop up I am working a barter for. (long, very long story...), so I have to make my own bathroom facilities in the campground as the campground only provides toilets and sinks...

Up goes the privy tent, out comes the Zodi instant hot water heater, which works by heating water from a source bucket of some sort, in through its heat exchanger, until it has become sufficiently hot, and then back out through the shower head.

This requires a source bucket of some sort.

Now the Zodi typically comes with a 2 gallon bucket / propane bottle holder apparatus, but when I got mine, I was an idiot and ordered a Zodi Hot Tap with bag, which at the time, was nothing more than the Instant Hot Shower with a standard round propane bottle holder, and a gear bag to hold it in lieu of the bucket / container because, well I'm an idiot.

Fast forward to too many years later, and the 5 gallon bucket I have always used is just annoying me to death, and I am needing to downsize my storage to get it all to fit properly.

So I have a couple of not so great options.

#1. Order an accessory / replacement bucket for the Zodi. However Zodi seems to be having some business troubles as finding their products to buy is getting harder, and harder to do. Their ecommerce on the website is insecure so that isn't going to happen, and Cabelas is out of stock on them. Plus they cost something like $29.99 for a plastic bucket. Between the loss of retail outlets, and the serious issues I am seeing on their website, it would not shock me to see Zodi go under in the short term. It's downright difficult to buy their products. Plus the water capacity of the bucket / container is more like 4 gallons, when I really need a bit under 2 gallons for a good Zodi shower...

#2. What is more likely to happen, is I have several 2 gallon paint buckets with lids left over from painting projects in the house. I am considering sizing up to see if the Zodi will fit in one of these buckets with the lid on.

#3. Continue to use the 5 gallon bucket with lid but also stow additional related items in it, such as toiletries bags. Shampoo, conditioner, soap, razors, wife required products etc... This would also be a good place to stow the towels...

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Where does the grey water go?

3. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

27 gallon tote is used as a shower pan of sorts, this gets emptied into a 5 gallon flexible / collapsible water carrier.

4. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Thanks

5. joet

joet Well-Known Member

I had a 45 gal. water bladder and used a sur flo pump

6. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

You can get smaller buckets. I prefer the 3.5 gallon buckets, which are the same diameter and use the same lids at the 5 gallons, for some uses. But they are harder to find and cost the same as the 5s. I have seen 2 and 2.5 gallons with lids.

Do you have a Firehouse sub shop nearby. The one I used to eat at before I retired sold several sizes of plastic buckets with their logos. The proceeds from the bucket sales goes to support programs for first responders.

7. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

That's a lot of water!

8. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

And that didn't work... I was hoping for a smaller packed up footprint... Another option would be going with a 5 gallon bucket and just packing more accessories in...

9. uploon

uploon Member

I use the 5 gallon water cooler that we take to hold drinking/cooking water from the well water.jpg

10. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

So as with so many of my other camping related stowage issues. I have resolved the problem via creative packing and resource utilization.

My concern was with my interim / pre Pop Up arrangement which will be sleeping in the truck topper. I have options here

1. I put an air mattress straight on the floor of the truck bed which is great for headroom, but lousy for the requirement that everything comes out of the truck for us to set up the bed.
    2. I use a spare roller bed frame I have banging around in the attic, use some iron pipe as risers to put the bottom of that frame at 18" from the bed floor giving me 1" clearance from the top most point of the toilet to the bottom of the bed. Lay in 3/4" plywood (which I already have) as a platform, and put a short queen mattress on top of it. (Coleman Queen single high airbed works fine.).
    With the platform rig I will have room for 4 @ 7 gallon Aquatainers, 3 27 gallon HDX heavy duty totes, the toilet, 5 gallon bucket, privy tent, chairs, cooler, and dry goods box in the bed of the truck. The Hitch Haul is getting an epoxy painted plywood locking box to house the generator, AC, and fuel cans. Hoping and praying I don't get rear ended and go all Pinto...

Anyway, back to the Zodi and privy tent. I have done some fitment testing, and I found that I can put the pump fully down the open mouth of an aquatainer, and run the Zodi shower head back into the aquatainer to let the water cycle through until it warms up sufficiently. So using the AT and just stowing my Zodi in the factory storage bag will work.

I could still stow the zodi in the 5 gallon bucket, and stow other items such as toiletries bags, and towels in there, put that space to good use instead of being a waste...