i never had a idea they came one bunk

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by HYDETHERAT, Sep 15, 2015.

1. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

2000 Starcraft meteor

Attached Files:

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Yes, there have been several pups with one bunk end over the years. Our first one was a 1984 Palomino Shetland:
    [​IMG]at the Canyon April 2010 by Andrea Vaughan, on Flickr

IIRC, PopUpSteve's pup is also a one bunk end version

3. LadyWolf

LadyWolf Member

Oh wow, I didn't know Starcraft had one like that. Viking used to have two models that had only bunk, but I can't seem to find them on their website any longer.

Viking 1804GS is one of them. The other model is a 1604 GS, which is a little bit smaller. Hopefully you can get a feel for what they look like in the pictures.

I really wanted to look at the 1804 GS when we were looking for our PUP but we don't have a Viking dealer anywhere around us. I did find one Viking dealer that also had Viking PUPs and actually had the 1804 GS on the lot. Unfortunately, that's when our tow vehicle started having all sorts of problems, so that put a temporary stop to camper shopping till we got a new TV. Mr. Wolf was wanting a PUP that only had one bunk to set up. I wish Viking still made those models.

For that matter, I wish Starcraft still made their single bunk PUP.

4. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

That's a nice pup

5. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

Some interior pics

Attached Files:

6. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

the 1604 looks very similar

7. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

8. HYDETHERAT

HYDETHERAT Member

That looks sharp

9. travisma

travisma New Member

There was an old Coleman with just 1 bunk end.

It looked like it was about the same size as a Columbia model.

10. rabird

rabird Howdy!

11. edh

edh Active Member

I'm rebuilding mine now and am leaving out the second bunk as it's almost always just my wife and I now, and the dinette can be made into a bunk for a third person if our son or daughter go with us. I am toying with the idea of doing away with a pull-out bunk altogether and just having a foldout couch on one end. Not worried about resale value so see no need for features I won't use...

12. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@edh - look at your space & the supplies you keep inside before eliminating pull-out bunks altogether. When we had the one bunk Palomino, it required more work to deal with our clothing duffels and the like. We sometimes ended up moving the duffels from bunk to dinette bench and back for night and day; other times the duffels were stacked on the dinette benches so each of us had just enough space to sit.
    We had not thought about the space issue before we bought the one bunk pup, we were used to lots of space in the ground tend (bed in the center, duffels lined up along each side). It was a shock to have to figure out how to manage the clothing duffels we kept inside. In that tiny pup there would have been no option to completely eliminate a bunk, but I can't imagine how we would have handles being able to have clothing inside the pup with us. Having the extra bunk in the second pup made for a much easier time, since we used it as a storage space for clothing, the small table we used in lieu of the original when we wanted it out of the way, etc.

13. edh

edh Active Member

Thanks for the tip. We usually camp pretty light and keep most clothes in the TV, but will be contemplating longer trips after I retire so may need more room.

14. Lugnutz

Lugnutz Member

Have a Coleman Acadia 1991,am planning on dumping the second bed.I hope to make a trip to where they make the canvas and see if they have a cover for that area in back. (it does have zippers on both ends, its the base I have to think about.)

15. sallugo

sallugo Member

Very cool!!!

16. 61cubby

61cubby New Member

At the state fair here in Mpls this past month, there was a pup with NO slide out beds. Just can't think of who it was that mfgd it. Old age setting in. Very easy to set up and take down on I believe a 14ft box. It was odd being inside and not having the bed ends.

17. edh

edh Active Member

Boy, the camper without bed slideouts sounds interesting. I checked the Minnesota state fair website for vendors and the only RV vendor listed doesn't seem to carry anything like that. If you or anyone else can identify the manufacturer at some point please post it!

18. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

19. edh

edh Active Member

Boy, Storm Trooper, thanks for posting that! It's very much like what I've been planning in rebuilding my old palomino, and it's nice to see images akin to what I've only been able to imagine up till seeing this one. I had been familiar with Apache hard siders but not this one, and I like this floor plan a lot. This is the only hard sider I've seen with this much window area. Very nice! But it's a big puppy: the 8x14 box dwarfs my 6'4"x10.

20. papa and gram

papa and gram New Member

Palomino makes a 14 ft with no slides that is nice.