I-Pass and E-ZPass questions

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by Rhconcepts, Apr 8, 2019.

1. BigAl

BigAl Member

Depending on your destination in MN, the northern route through Michigan's UP isn't a bad option, especially if time isn't as much of a factor. Or you can take one of the car ferries across Lake Michigan - The Badger runs from Ludington, MI to Manitowoc, WI, and the Lake Express runs from Muskegon, MI to Milwaukee, WI. They're not cheap but you get a break from driving. The Badger charges $7/foot for trailers, in addition to the vehicle fee plus the passenger fee.

https://www.ssbadger.com/

https://www.lake-express.com/

HappyTraveler likes this.
  2. rexlxg

rexlxg Member

I live in Florida and use the sunpass and one time I got a violation notice that showed a picture of the rear of my popup, and said that I didn't pay the toll.
    I checked the records and the TV was charged but the popup was not. only happened once but I added my pup tag to the list of tags associated with my account.

3. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

I-Pass here in Illinois does not have a monthly fee. Also last year we were through Indiana, Ohio, Penn, Maryland, Virgina, New York and the same I-Pass worked in every one of those places. Only place it did not work was coming back into the US in Port Huron Mi. Go figure.

4. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

PA has been having equipment issues and people are getting some crazy ezpass fees. Keep an eye on it if you pass through. I have the pup listed on my EZ pass account. Never had a problem in any state I travel, but for sure the costs can go way up with the extra axles.

5. Balthisar

Balthisar Active Member

Michigan doesn't have any toll roads, so I'm rather glad that it didn't work for you!

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

The bridge itself has a toll.

7. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

International border crossings are different.

8. tdiller

tdiller Active Member

Yes they are but the crossing from New York to Canada at Niagara Falls took the I-Pass so I figured the entry back would to. The difference is that the toll is from Canada to the US so it is a Canadian thing. Leaving the US in New York was a US thing.

9. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Capture.JPG We use our EZPass all the time with no trouble going to and from Canada at the Lewiston-Queenston Bridge.
    What our EZPass pays for is the toll ($3.75) going into Canada. Coming back into the US there doesn't seem to be a toll.
    I'm thinking the toll we paid went to the US and Canada doesn't have a toll. But I could be wrong.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  10. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Ipass and EZpass seem to work on either system reciprocally. Our Ipass works in Indiana, NY state, Mass and crossing the Ohio River in Louisville.

This thread inspired me to check my Ipass history from our last trip through Chicago to Michigan. WHOA!!!!
    https://www.illinoistollway.com/tolling-information#TRI

That Waukegan plaza, which is the largest and normally dings us for $1.40, hit us in the Odyssey and TT for $7.10!! I don't know how they concluded we're a medium truck - whether the open road tolling does it by weight (in road) or size (with cameras) - but good luck to anyone who wants to call and ask them about their methodology.

I tell you one thing: I'm glad we took 94 through Chicago ($11.85) and not 294 around Chicago ($30.60). Prices are each way. That would have cost us an arm and a leg. I also notice there is no price break between cash and transponder when towing. I guess something to consider when making travel plans.

11. BigAl

BigAl Member

HappyTraveler and rjhammetter like this.
  12. rjhammetter

rjhammetter Husband, Dad, Engineer & Camper

Nice find BigAl! Makes sense.

I forgot to mention in my first post that my Ipass works whether I'm towing or not. Clearly, it charged me appropriately for my Odyssey + Jayco based on axles. There should be no need for anyone to get a special transponder. And in fact, I had not added my trailer or its license plate to my Ipass account before driving through the open road toll plaza.

13. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Here in NY we did get the blue transponder for towing b/c it does give you a little bit of a discount over using cash when towing.
    Have no idea whether or not we would have gotten that discount using our regular white transponder when towing or not.
    Not sure if there was any discount in Ohio.
    As we live and learn. ;)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2019
  14. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

We seem to get a discount with the trailer in PA, WV, OH, NY, NC, FL.

We have the WV ezpass.