I think I found my perfect camper

Discussion in 'PopOut (Hybrids)' started by Sneezer, Jan 27, 2018.

1. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have been looking over various floorplans for the last year or two. My issues have been overall length to start - I have a max of 27’ available to park a camper on the side of my house. I have mainly been looking at a regular TT with a murphy bed, as that gives me the most living area without going to a full on hybrid. I also didn’t want to go with a hybrid as I found the beds to be uncomfortable, and if I added a topper it would have to be reapplied each time I set up the bed since the mattresses have to fold for stowing the bunk. I also didn’t want to deal with bunks in the rain, even though it is way easier than with a pup, especially with todays designs. My 14 yo son is also 6’1” already, and smaller beds are no longer an option. Thus I was stuck with a U-dinette since those are 85” beds, but then it would need to be remade every night, which my son was not looking forward to. My wife and I also don’t want to climb over the other for midnight restroom breaks, which also makes hybrids less desirable.

While checking for new designs I found the Roo/Shamrock 23BDS. This checks off just about every box I have. Front murphy bed, U-dinette, large curved shower stall, decent counterspace and storage, ducted AC. All this I have found in other lighter trailers in the 23-25’ range. However, what really sets this one apart is the addition of a rear pop out bunk. Now I have the perfect camper. A nice comfortable real bed for me, and my wife when she wants to come, my son gets a queen bed (that I don’t need to worry about when just going solo or going on a trip with my wife) and I get a dinette that is available for use at all times. With the murphy up I get a nice couch to relax on. Bonus, there is a window for the front murphy bed when in the down position - every other one I have found did not have a window, so this was a nice addition.

Now I just need to figure out how to afford a new camper since this is a brand new floorplan. Hoping to find one in person to go look at, but from what I have seen on line I am really excited!

Jorja and Aneemal33 like this.
  2. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That looks like a really nice layout. Too bad my parking constraints are the width! Wonder if the neighbors would notice if I offered to replace our 60 year old fence and accidentally moved it over a foot...

3. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

I actually saw this recently and was very intrigued by it. We are going to a show in 2 weeks that I really hope to see one at. I am looking for a smaller rig that I can easily take out by myself, and this would fit pretty much all of my requirements. Looks like an awesome floorplan

4. Sneezer

We just got back from a trip in the pup, just my son and I. Buddy brought his recently purchased Jayco HTT (2001 model). Wasn't too bad inside. Got home and found out my wife had actually taken the time to look at the models I had been scoping out, and now she is hooked. Hoping finances will fall into place for a purchase next spring! This one is at the top of the list, and the newness appeals to her vs. a 10 year old camper. Hoping I will find a 2018 holdover or a trade in I can pick up at a discount. Can't wait, but until then I still have some mods to get to on my pup to make it a little more comfortable in the time I will still have it.

5. RockyRoo

RockyRoo Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD

We saw the new Roo Floorplan at the show a few weeks ago and it was really nice. The wifely one doesn't want to deal with another hybrid though. Since it is just the 2 of us she really is more interested in the Zinger 211RD.

6. Sneezer

Well, although we still would like to get one of these, finances haven't worked out the way we would like. Looking at college in 2 years for our son, trying to pay off existing debt, and with limited vacation time these days we wouldn't get a chance to use it very often as a family, not even for weekends. DW works a split shift, so Saturday is a workday which knocks out weekend trips unless she takes a vacation day, which are really reserved for the larger summer family trips. Plus I found out today that Forest River has discontinued this camper for 2020, and in the last two years I only found one for sale in TX, and it was 6 hours away. Oh well, such is life.

7. GreyFox

GreyFox Well-Known Member

Look on the bright side - you probably saved yourself thousands $$$$$ by not buying another camper at a time when campgrounds just about everywhere have been closing for an indeterminate time, perhaps even all summer, due to Covid-19. ;)