I think I may have gone overboard!

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by egapylime, Jun 24, 2014.

1. egapylime

egapylime Member

So next weekend will be the longest trip and the most people where we don't share responsibility thus far. (It will be my parents, my kids, maybe hubby and me.) I've been trying to create a menu for the weekend (starting Thursday night through Sunday morning.) Here is what I came up with, I still feel like I am missing something!

Thursday Dinner:
    Cowboy Casserole over biscuits
    Hot Dogs, Hamburgers, chips

Friday Breakfast:
    Pancakes
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Toast

Friday Lunch:
    Chicken salad or deli meat sandwiches
    Chips and/or potato salad

Friday Dinner:
    Hobo Dinners
    Fried Green beans
    Grilled cheese

Saturday Breakfast:
    Biscuits and Gravy
    Cereal

Saturday Lunch:
    Pie Iron Tacos
    http://twomaidsamilking.com/2011/08/pie-iron-tasty-tacos/
    Children’s choice

Saturday Dinner:
    Spaghetti and garlic bread
    Caesar salad

Sunday Breakfast:
    Bacon egg and cheese biscuits, hash browns

Need to Buy:
    Cowboy casserole (I will make ahead of time and bring to reheat)
    Biscuits
    Hot dogs
    Hot dog buns
    Hamburger buns
    Ketchup
    Mustard
    Potato chips
    Mayonnaise
    Head of lettuce
    18 Eggs
    1 Lb deli turkey
    Chicken salad
    Potato salad
    10 lb. bag russet potatoes
    Green beans
    BBQ sauce
    1 gallon milk
    Cereal
    Flour tortillas
    Taco meat
    Shredded cheese
    Sour cream
    Refried beans
    Peanut butter
    Jelly
    Spaghetti noodles
    Tomato sauce
    Lawry’s spaghetti sauce mix (I have)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Seasoned salt
    Caesar dressing
    Croutons
    Ground beef
    Cheese slices
    Pancake Mix
    Bacon
    Eggs
    Bread
    Pop Tarts
    Granola Bars
    Crackers
    Fruit snacks
    VODKA! (BIG!)
    Crystal Light
    Captain
    Diet Coke
    Carrots
    Spanish Rice
    Sausage
    Flour
    Parm cheese
    Nacho cheese
    Butter

2. Heady

Heady Active Member

Nope....looks good to me....lots of leftovers! :)

3. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Wow, that's quite the menu and grocery list! Looks like you've thought of everything!

BTW, f you're looking to replace a complicated, labor intensive meal with something quick, simple and tasty, "Taco in a bag" is a huge favorite of ours and it's super easy if you prepare the taco meat at home before you leave then freeze it.

Everybody loves building their own tacos just the way they like them, so it's pretty hard to disappoint.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/taco-in-a-bag/

4. egapylime

egapylime Member

I am one of those people who LOVES camp cooking. I try to do as much as possible over the fire. It appears most of what we will be doing will work, depending upon weather conditions.

Thank you for the taco in a bag suggestion! We are going camping this weekend too but just the boys and I so our menu will be far less complicated. (They are 5 and 7 and are happy eating the same thing over and over!)

5. bjmcginnis

bjmcginnis Member

Dang can I come camping with you lol. We usually do burgers, dogs, sausage English muffins, pb&j. I don't have pie irons they disappeared along with my hot dog/marshmallow forks.

6. Ziggs76

Ziggs76 Member

As long as it all fits in the coolers, you can never have too much food! I like to eat like a king when I'm camping. Btw, I'm stealing the Pie Iron Taco recipe, they sound awesome!

7. Campit

Campit EAT SLEEP CAMP

Can I go camping with you! [LOL] It looks like you love to cook while camping. I love to cook also. You have your list down. I always tend to bring along a little too much but hey I don't have to run to the store all the time. Just make sure you give the dish washing chores to the other campers that are with you. If there are leftovers, let them snack on it during the day. Happy camping!

Campit

8. Xiongmao12

Xiongmao12 Member

I use Numbers on my iPad to plan all our camping trips. All the necessary info is included as well as menus. We've found that we were bringing too much food and made some changes. I no longer plan for lunches as we're usually out and about during the day. Instead we bring healthy snacks along to keep us going. Our coolers are kept in the tow vehicle, so if anyone wanted something left over from dinner they could eat it as well provided that it doesn't need to be reheated. The other thing we started doing last summer was experimenting with dry ice in one cooler. I can freeze leftovers and take them home to use.

9. egapylime

egapylime Member

This camping trip for us is a little different than we normally do. We will have the PUP and a huge cabin. It's at a Yogi Bear park so we stay in the park and swim, eat, drink and be merry :)

I work for a food distributor so food is my life. Literally. I buy in bulk for a lot of things and take small amounts of each thing throughout the summer. It usually amounts to one big shopping trip that lasts all summer long. Just yesterday I bought a case of 102 biscuits and a #10 can of green beans and a #10 can of baked beans :)

I have never used numbers before, though I do have it. Is it the same as Excel? I work on that all day long at work.

10. mschepac

mschepac South Jersey

With the large breakfast you have planned, I think lunch will be a "are you hungry?" type of proposition...

PS. Please let me know where you are going and your site number so I can get reservations next to you! [:D]

11. Xiongmao12

Xiongmao12 Member

Numbers is Apple's version of a spreadsheet program. I have excel too, but for my needs Numbers is great. I think Excel is more powerful, but Numbers has some features that Excel doesn't.