I think my Husband is scared to drive the TT

Discussion in 'On The Road' started by stacey short, Jul 10, 2019.

1. stacey short

stacey short Member

We recently purchased a TT and everytime I asked him to move the TT to our camping spot he gives me a lame excuse. We keep our TT at Sunset Beach camping grounds and our pop up is in our garage. We have to pay $25.00 for our TT to be move from storage to the camper ground. I told him he have to get use to hooking it up to the truck and taking it loose from the truck. I told him about the break controller must be used or you won't know how it feels. The excuse is I'm on vacation and I don't want to fool with that right now. We watch dozens of YouTube videos on how to hook the TT up and take it apart. How the break controller works. We haven't tried it yet. My husband work as a landscaper and he is use to pulling Trailers but I think he is scared of pulling this one. I believe I will hook it up myself or attempt when he isnt looking and drive it around the camp grounds if it isnt too busy. I just feel it is very important to put your hands on things after you watch the videos to see how it feels. If something happens and we must evacuate the beach he will be clueless. Another thing is he doesn't want to help do the maintenance work on the pop up. I'm thinking since he has been in that TT he dont want to be bother with the pop up. The pop up has 2 trips this year one in October and December so far. My Husband is 58yrs old and he is working my nerves and I'm 48yrs we have one son 12yrs and he loves the camping life. Do anyone have any advise for me to make this situation a little bit better. I already see paying someone to do my maintenance on the TT because he isnt going to do it. Help

Attached Files:

2. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

I think your idea of hooking it up and pulling it around is a good one. Having just moved from a pop up to a TT, I can tell you it feels different in many ways, and you should at least get used to it. My wife has yet to pull the TT, but we've only had it out about 4 times this year and always short trips. I think she's a little intimidated by it. I figure she'll eventually take a hand in moving it, but I'm not gonna push the issue.

Sjm9911 and stacey short like this.
  3. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I agree... I say give it a go on your own! It is much different than a popup, but gets easier each time you hook up. After a little while it just becomes second nature. You can do this!

Sjm9911 and stacey short like this.
  4. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Go for it!
    As a woman, I know I would have no problem learning how to do all aspects of hitching up, driving around, backing in, unhitching.
    Who knows, you may find you're better at it than he is?

5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Stacy, i remember when you bought the TT! I say , dont wait for anyone, do it yourself. I know you can do it!

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My dad was the same way when they bought their 25’ TT it was so much bigger than their popup that they gave to me. May dad hated how the Tow vehicle drove with it, hated the heavy WDH required, and really hated how he couldn’t see around the camper. So their camper is now on a seasonal site at a campground and does not move. Mom wanted this camper but she is terrified to drive, period. So it’s all 100% on dad to do. When I was considering getting a TT that was when dad showed me how to hook up and gave me the keys to drive theirs around. Hence the reason I bought a larger popup. We both felt that a 4 runner really wasn’t the greatest tow vehicle for their size TT as the wheel base is much too short and felt dangerous to us if the camper did anything other than going straight. Although I do eventually feel I will upgrade, I want to upgrade my vehicle first.
    I agree though, practice does make perfect, so get out and try it yourself. Always best to have multiple people know how to tow in case of emergencies. Who’s knows maybe towing comes easier to you than your husband. My aunt and uncle are unique. My aunt is an ace at backing up where as my uncle is a more patient driver so when they tow they each do what comes natural to them. Their skills are absolutely amazing when they take their horse trailer out.

7. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

Plan a pull thru spot and go it alone. There are far more folks driving these things with false confidence. At least you know it's big and you need some practice, so you are ahead of the curve already. You guys can do it!

8. 1380ken

1380ken Well-Known Member

If your husband is a landscaper and is used to pulling trailers then he doesn't need any videos to know how to hook up the camper. Also you could move the camper around the campground without trailer brakes. My advice would be to pay the 25.00 and leave him alone.

Fless, Spridle and stacey short like this.
  9. Shaman1

Shaman1 Well-Known Member

I recommend you become the expert. After putting the WDH on/off, you'll do it like it's nothing. In fact, your 12 year old can do it. As far as towing it, practice, practice, practice. Cardboard boxes and an empty/abandoned parking lot are great aides. You can do it.

stacey short likes this.
  10. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

Your 12 year old - is old enough to do maintenance - he has websites and Youtube to learn from. None of it is "rocket science" and everything you will run into has been written up on the web already.

Milemaker13 and stacey short like this.
  11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Do it. If he sees you doing it, he may feel less intimidated. It's not that hard. If you need to, add some trailer side mirrors to your tow vehicle. That will give you better visuals.

Towing a TT isn't that difficult. Going forward is easy - just watch for folks trying to merge between the TT and tow vehicle. Stay in one lane and watch traffic behind you - then you will have a better idea of when it's safe to move over.

Backing up a TT is a learning curve. But if you can back up a smaller popup, then you should have no problem. A larger trailer is actually easier to back up than a small one as it has a gentler lighter response to turns.

As for maintenance, most is really easy. No reason you all can't learn to do it. Just take it one step at a time. Ask questions. Ask around your campground for someone to show you how to do it - there's always someone willing to help out. And your son can do a lot of it. He can also help setup the popup. Splitting out tasks will make it less work for everyone.

In the end, don't hassle your husband about it. That won't get him to change. Just move on yourself and let him see you doing it. Sometimes men don't want to have to do all the work - so if you show that you are willing to do some of it, he is more likely to be willing to pitch in himself.

stacey short likes this.
  12. Spridle

Spridle Active Member

$25 bucks sounds like a bargain to me! I'd pay that to avoid moving the thing around.

Beyond that, time to test the waters towing on your own.

1380ken likes this.
  13. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

If you're going to be sitting at a seasonal site and just moving between the site and storage I'd say pay the $25 and be done with it. If your're planning to tow the trailer to other sites then you need to learn the wdh setup and get used to towing it.

14. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If he's not comfortable doing it, split up your chores another way so that you do it. If neither of you want to do it, well, then, hire someone. :)

Snow and stacey short like this.
  15. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

I say bring the hub on here & we hear his side of the story [8D]

Snow and HappyTraveler like this.
  16. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

How did it go, Were you able to hitch it up and take it for a spin. I love that you are not intimated and want to learn and get comfortable doing it

17. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

I told my wife the TT is something i have to learn to TOW... You know what she brought it from the dealer home while nearly taking the mail box out. She towed for a 2 months before i even attempted to do anything like towing. Now i tow it a bunch but last friday . Worked all morning, towed 5 hrs in heavy traffic. We got a hilly spot where i had to back into between trees we did it. But it was smack in the middle of the spot and i just could move it over a few feet . my brain by then was fried. told her could she do it and she took care of it. Even though i tow most of the time i know when to toss the key. Especially when we are on the road all day.

We are in early 40`s but i we sort of work as a team more as i hurt my back and cannot do stuff requiring bending so she does the whole stablizer down etc .

We got some strange looks as she is moving the trailer over and me standing holding the dog :) . U will be surprised how much motivation it gave me when she was towing the TT to learn .

neighbormike and HappyTraveler like this.