I want to boondock near water in FL/GA

Discussion in 'Boondocking' started by Orchid, Jul 12, 2011.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Does anyone know of any places? It must have a body of water (swamps don't count [LOL]) and be in the top half of FL or bottom half of GA. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks in advance!

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

National forests are common places to boondock. A check of the map shows me that Florida has the Apalachicola NF (near Tallahassee) which has a river running through it and the Ocala NF (near Ocala) which borders on Lake George. Google these NFs to get their web pages. Those will usually have contact phone numbers so you can call and find out about "dispersed camping" (boondocking) opportunities in those places. I also see that Georgia has the Cumberland Island National Seashore. Contact them and see if dispersed camping is allowed there.

Also check with the DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) in both states to see if they have any state forests or state recreation areas where dispersed camping is permitted.

3. Orchid

Thanks Unstable!

We are right next to Osceola NF where the only body of water has established campgrounds around it. We're also not far from Ocala NF but I never realized they had a lake ... will be checking into that for sure!!

We love Cumberland Island but no vehicles are allowed, only hike-in campers. If we could take the camper over there, I'd be all over it.

Tallahassee is a bit further away, but worth checking out. I didn't even know that NF was there!

4. bearman512

bearman512 Well-Known Member

5. papachaz

papachaz New Member

how far into GA are you willing to travel? maybe some plans could be made where we could set up 'the twins' side by side, [LOL] [LOL]

6. FC

FC Central Florida

Ocala national forest.

7. heathdavis

heathdavis New Member

Try contacting the Suwannee River Water Management District and/or the St. Johns Water management district.

The water management districts own land for watershed conservation purposes and I know they allow tent camping in some of those areas. I don't know their policy on popups, but you could ask.

8. Orchid

We are going to have to do that some time for sure! Maybe not boondocking, but just camping. Out twins are fraternal now since I stripped down the exterior. Pretty soon it will sporting Mickey Mouse in some form or another. I'm leaning toward fishing Mickey or Musket Mickey.

Since we're from WV, we're always homesick for the mountains and want to camp in the mountains of GA sometime anyway.

This is a great suggestion, thank you! I am absolutely going to do this.

9. johnlely14hw

johnlely14hw New Member

Taking notes, thanks! [NTBK] [CP] [;)]

10. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

taking notes also never did any boondock camping looking forward to trying it bought a generator yesterday just for that purpose

11. StarCamper

StarCamper Member

Just finished out first boondock trip of 16 days. We used one full tank of propane and we recharged the battery once, it finally died the night before we left. We used the lights each evening and had to turn on the heater for three nights. Couldn't figure out how to use the fridge on propane (will have to look that up here) and have no hot water tank. We were pleasantly surprised how long it all lasted. We brought a generator with us but neither CG (NFS) we stayed at allowed them so you may want to check ahead of time.

12. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

i figure if i find the right spot shouldnt be anyone around to complain dont think i could do without ac the whole time its been near the 100s down here

13. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

If you're truly boondocking, it won't make a difference as you are not actually in a designated/developed CG. It sounds like StarCamper was technically "dry camping" at a NFSCG....which is actually good practice for hitting up the boonies. I will often stay at a NFSCG when I'm exploring a new area to boondock, simply for the sake of convenience.

14. robctry69

robctry69 New Member

yeah i was thinking if im boondocking there wont be anybody around one of the reasons i have the jeep is to get away from everything and get way back in the woods

15. papachaz

papachaz New Member

just let me know! there are SOOOO many great CG and State Parks in the mountains here. we're hoping to get back to cloudland canyon this fall when the leaves are changing...two water falls on the creek, lots of hiking.....maybe we can make some plans!