I wish it was ajoke

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by speckhunter80, Apr 1, 2013.

1. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

This weekend we had a get together of local (Eastern NC) campers at Cedar Point CG in the Croatan NF near Cape Carteret, NC. Met some new people and realized that accidently one of them is a Facebook friend. (I know his dad and they both have the same name.)

So here goes the not so funny...got there about 11:00 Friday morning and proceeded to set up camp. I normally take care of outside stuff while wife does the inside. I crank up the top and she cranks down the stabilizers. Al is fine and she realizes we forgot the pillows. No problem as home is only 10 miles or so away. Off to get pillows and some firewood. Stop at stop sign leaving campground and here a loud thump. Ask DW "What was that"..."I don't know"..I get out and walk partially down side of truck to make sure tail gate had not come open. All is well and we go (BTW, got a great deal on 25 pieces of split oak for $10) Sunday it is supposed to start raining about noon...6:30 start hearing rain drops. Just a few but figure it is a harbinger of worse to come. Soon as possible we start breaking down camp. Ready to raise the stabilizers and I ask my DW what she did with the crank......(ding, ding, ding) guess what that thud was on Friday....the crank she left on the truck. Looked all over for about 2 miles of road and nothing. Check with fellow campers and their crank won't work, check with Camp host and no one turned it in. Used a tire iron to get the roof down and then used a 4 way spinner lug wrench to get the stabs up. Come home sun shines bright, temp gets up to 63 and no rain until after dark.

Today, I get to order TWO (2) new cranks. 1 goes in the truck and does not come out and one goes in the convenient specially designed holder that Coleman/Fleetwood made for it. $75/80 [V]

2. bigdad

bigdad Active Member

At least it happen close to home and it did not rain on you taken it down.

3. PATMD

PATMD SOILENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!

At least you are ok! I thought maybe you were rear-ended or something. I'd go back and walk both sides of the road to see if it bounced somewhere, even if i could only walk a mile or two every day. what are the chances someone found it and kept it? not all cranks fit all trailers.
    PATMD

4. IGYPup

IGYPup New Member

That will teach you, [{:)]next time don't forget the pillows [LOL] [LOL]

5. Sterman

Sterman Member

That's too bad that none of your fellow campers had a coleman/fleetwood crank handle when you needed it. Seems like they'd be pretty common.

I, too, have purchased an extra off ebay and keep it behind the seat in my truck.
    The other I keep in my stepper door compartment.

6. Indy

Indy Member

That's a bummer - so sorry to hear it.

We had a similar incident. We were camping at Crater of Diamonds over Spring Break and made a day trip to the Talimena Scenic Drive and Queen Wilhelmina State Park. We followed the GPS directions on the way in, but it seemed there was a better way so we took an alternate route on the way back. It was dark by this time, and we were cruising down a small deserted FM road with a speed limit of 65-70. Every once in a while it would have a turn and a yellow advisory speed limit of 45 or so... no problem. We're cruising along and suddenly see an advisory speed limit sign of 15 but the GPS shows no bend in the road and we can see that it is straight ahead. Huh? Dh slows down a bit, thinking what is this about? He doesn't come anywhere near 15 mph - he's probably going 45-50. Then, out of nowhere, there is a gravel patch in the road with an enormous bump. We pull some sort of Dukes of Hazard move and hear a "clank", but nothing major. Holy crap - next time it says advisory 15mph, we're going 10mph!!! He checks the tires and all seems well until it's time to pack up.

Oh, NOW I see what's missing. The ball and the smaller connector for the sway bar! He went back and amazingly he found all the pieces for the sway control, but had to buy a new ball. Not so bad.

Loud thuds are never good.

7. camper2009

camper2009 New Member

My rig came with Two (2) cranks. But I still take care in keeping them where I know where they are...
    G

8. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

Envision the crank falling off, bouncing back up and taking out a brake line...or wiring...or a hug chunk of paint. We blew a camper tire on day and took out a gas line. Think of it as getting off lucky.

9. Dale Boudreaux

Dale Boudreaux New Member

I drove off from a campsite with the crank still attached to the camper. About a mile or so down the road from leaving the CG the car behind me starts flashing his lights at me. Im wondering whats with this guy. We stop to get gas a couple of miles furhter and I walk around and see the compartment door still open. I knew exactly why the lights were being flashed at me. Only took me two trips of walking in the ditch to find my crank. Live and learn.

10. joelmyer

joelmyer Member

My first PUP was a Coleman Taos.

The first trip I put the crank someplace secure so nobody would steal it. Like to never found it!

After that, the crank stayed in place from crank up to crank down.

Joel

11. froggie

froggie New Member

I feel your pain. A broken lift cable aborted our trip (4 + hours from home). We got 2 new mules when we got home. Everything works out, sometimes.

12. BigBaron

BigBaron Dreaming of Tommy's chili cheeseburgers...

Glad it was that easy. I'm just waiting for the time our electric lift doesn't work. [:O]

13. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

Always carry a backup. A 5/8 spark plug socket with a slot cut in it will work perfectly for a Coleman. Both crank and stabs. If you are not handy that way, get a socket genie available from most trailer supply stores or PUX trading post.

Here is what I primarily use, then the manual crack s a backup.

[​IMG]

Happy Campin'

J

14. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

New crank arrived in the mail today.

15. Ken Mc

Ken Mc Member

Lessons hard come by are most often thoroughly learned.

Happy Camping

16. Ted S.

Ted S. Member

I just added a extra hand crank to my accessory list for 2013. I don't want a "thud" experience.

17. TX_F2

TX_F2 New Member

At least that's not as bad as arriving at your campsite and when you go to start cranking up the roof, realizing YOU left the crank sitting on the workbench in the garage at home......... 400 miles away, and you are the only popup in the campground.

[B)] [:I] [XX(] [EEK]

Thankfully I had a tire iron, it took longer than using the roof crank but it still got the job done. [8D]

18. Mountain Mondo

Mountain Mondo New Member

That happened to me with my favorite sun glasses set them on the cowl of DWs truck walked the road to find them Smashed (crap) Glad I don't have to crank anything on my Pup.

19. Hoomi

Hoomi I write everything the voices in my head tell me.

I took an old 5/8" spark plug socket today, and dremeled out the notch as well. I picked up one of the Milwaukee power ratchets, but discovered it's torque setting is too low to crank up the Coleman Nevada roof. Oh well. It does work great for cranking down the stabs quickly.

For now, I may keep a decent ratchet in the P'up along with the stock crank, just for back-up purposes. Typically, when we go on a trip, I carry my toolbox with us anyway, but probably not a bad idea to have something devoted to the trailer.

Though the Milwaukee power ratchet will work as a standard ratchet to raise the roof. It's just the power function that is limited on the torque, probably to keep from shearing off bolts in normal use.

20. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

This is sears C3 line. It has two settings. It raised the roof on my niagara on low just fine. Although if you have a weak battery it will fall short. My Avalon as a power roof but it raises and lowers on manual with no problems. I do need to build a long rod to adapt to the crank since I extended the frame in the rear 2'.