IA - Lewis & Clark State Park

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by dgarbers, Oct 2, 2009.

1. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

We camped at Lewis & Clark St Park in Iowa for just a quick night in August, but enjoyed our stay. We had a site right on the water, which meant that we didn't have a lot of privacy, but the cg was not crowded, so it was not an issue. We got in after 5 and never saw any park staff, or a host during our visit.

The replicas of the keelboat and flat boat that L&C used on with the Corps of Discovery made the stop well worth the time! The kids enjoyed getting to walk on the boats and check them out up close.

They are in the middle of building a large interpretive center. I was confused, as I thought that was already open for visitors, so we'll just have to go back! We would have really liked to check out the shop that was in a yurt, too, but it was closed when we were there.

http://www.iowadnr.gov/parks/state_park_list/lewis_clark.html

2. EV2

EV2 Member

Glad you enjoyed this park. If you do get back, be sure to travel about 35 miles north on I29 to the outstanding Lewis & Clark center by the Missouri river in Sioux City. It is outstanding.
    Lewis and Clark Interpretive Center

3. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Thank you for that recommendation! We enjoyed traveling through IA's rolling hills. My kids really enjoy seeing Lewis and Clark exhibits, so we just might have to go back to IA in the future.
    Thank you!

4. ScouterWife

ScouterWife Earth is the insane asylum for the universe.

I second the recomendation about visiting the interpretive center in Sioux City, and of course you have to go to the Sgt. Floyd monument. I remeber having our Iowa history in 5th grade, and the Lewis & Clark Expedition [:)C] was probably 75% of what we learned about, or maybe it's just what I remember most. [:D]

5. popup4five

popup4five New Member

We're not all that far from Lewis & Clark so we're hoping to make it there this season still. Sounds like a nice park.