IA-Volga River Recreation Area

Discussion in 'Iowa' started by EK41, Aug 5, 2013.

1. EK41

EK41 Member

Spent one night at the Volga River Recreation Area this past weekend. Only spent one night because I had my nephew and we found out he doesn't enjoy camping very much.
    This is a very large park with 5700 acres. It has 22 miles of mixed use trails. There are two campgrounds the equestrian one is on the south end of the park along the river and the other is about 3 miles north near the lake. It's called Lake View Campground but because of the dense forest there is no view of the lake. Almost all sites are full hook up, there are a few w/no hook ups in the equestrian campground (on the far end where horses are not allowed). Although the park is wooded the campgrounds are not. For me this was the only negative. Site 11 looked to be the best site. It was the most private, with trees and brush on three sides. The campground is well maintained the showers and toilets were very clean and well cared for. There is only one shower.toilet facility and for some sites it can be a very long walk. There is not a swimming beach at the lake and there is no playground in the park. Not a problem for me, but maybe not the best for families with children. There were a few families with children, however this weekend there was mostly an older crowd.
    I really enjoyed this park and will spend a lot of time here in the future. I will go during the week when there are less horses on the trails. I can't wait to see this place in its fall colors.
    Because this is a recreation area rather than a state park hunting is allowed in season.

2. Jeni Ann

Jeni Ann Member

Thanks for the review! That is close enough for a weekend for me - I believe I'll check it out :)