Ideas for mounting a small lcd tv

Discussion in 'Campsite Electronics' started by luv2camp0314, Jul 25, 2010.

1. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Came with the Coleman easy install. 2 brackets to the roof and a retaining clip. On eBay now and then.

2. JungleJim

JungleJim New Member

Some of you are spending too much time doing things to your camper instead of taking it out camping!! [;)]

I purchased a little 7" LED TV from Radio Shack. It has a rechargeable battery, and can also be pluged into either 12v or AC.
    It has a telescoping antenna, or an antenna with a long cable that can be magnetically mounted. This little guy really pulls in the stations!! It's convenient because it can go anywhere.
    If our son wants to watch a video, we have a Panasonic DVD player with it's own screen we travel with.

It's cool if people want to mount one somehow in their popup, but please keep the volume down so the rest of us can enjoy the daytime and evening sounds of nature :)

3. thegeorgefamily06

thegeorgefamily06 Member

ok, old topic, but i just totally thought about doing this and then found this thread looking into it.

So I have the same question that I think has been brought up here, how do you screw the mount into the ceiling? Is it strong enough?

Here is the quote from Forest River's website about my camper:
    "Fiberglass Vacuum Bonded Radius Roof w/ No Center Seam"

So, can I install a mount into my ceiling? What say you?

And on another note, I see there is a warning about using old threads, what is protocol around here. Should I have started a new thread or because this one is exactly what I was looking for it is ok to post on it?

Thanks for all your help!

4. dcel

dcel New Member

Excellent questions GeorgeFam. I'd like to know how to mount to the ceiling too.

5. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

Watching this one for ceiling mounting suggestions, too.

6. austinm48

austinm48 http://s1174.photobucket.com/albums/r604/austinm48

The flip down ones that go in vehicles aren't too heavy and mine stays mounted to the roof .... All the electronic stuff is in the cabinet all I got is one plug

7. higginskatie

higginskatie Member

8. Sumoman

Sumoman New Member

Just me though with advances in Tablets I'd think you could get a decent sized tablet to do what you are wanting. They run on batteries, can hold movies, etc. easy to install and move. Just idea

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

We no longer bring the big screen. Our kindle 8.9 do the job just fine.

10. CamL48

CamL48 New Member

First of all, thanks for using the search. Well done.

Here are my thoughts on old threads, keeping in mind that I'm not a moderator or administrator here.

Mixing new questions/answers into a thread that is 4 years old creates a bit of a scattered collection of ideas. The utility of this type of forum is that it houses (permanently?) information about PUPs/camping which is then available to recall as a resource. It becomes harder to extract salient pieces of info, if that info is wound around older, non-current stuff. So, it's probably better for you (you'll get more pointed advice) and others (easier to search and follow) to go ahead and post a new thread.

For example, your question is less about mounting a TV than it is about the structural integrity of your particular ceiling/roof and how much weight it can support. Answering that question will help lots of people, regardless of whether they like TV or not. Hanging wardrobes, organizers, shelves, hooks, radios, etc. So, rather than wrapping your question into this thread, I'd always recommend two things:

1. Start your own thread (you can always reference the older one)

2. Be descriptive about what you're really asking. In your case, a thread title of "Mounting to PUP Ceiling -- Fiberglass bonded roof" would be a good title, and there are presumably many other good, descriptive titles you could use. Titles such as: "I have some questions," "Help me with my TV please," "Scratching my head ..." and other similar titles don't help much (though, you'll see them here all the time). They may not draw in the expertise you want and they end up being useless when others search for information.

If someone answers your questions in your new thread, those answers will be current, will be tightly focused on your specific issues, will likely help others who are looking at ceiling mounts of some sort, and will be readily searchable. Few of those things will be true when adding to a 4-year-old post.

Again, just one person's opinion ...

Good luck.