Ideas for Toddlers/Pre schoolers

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by EmilyC, Aug 22, 2018.

1. EmilyC

EmilyC New Member

What do you do to keep toddlers and pre schoolers entertained while cooking, cleaning etc?
    I did a couple crafts
    Just looking for some new ideas.

2. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Hate to say it, tv with a DVD player. At least they will be sitting for a bit while you clean up. Not the most wholesome activity but sometimes necessary. Crafts are good, but then after cleaning and cooking you will need another activity so you can clean up the crafts!

3. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Sorry. Anything but electronics. Get them outside. Raised my kids camping and we have never brought any electronics. Since we never have they never ask. There has to be one place and time to leave that stuff behind. Easy? Nope. Magnifying glasses, bug catchers, gold pan. Anything but a cellphone.
    My 2 cents.

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I always just let them play in the dirt at the campsite. Worked with my kids (back when we didn't have any organized activities because nobody had thought of it yet [LOL] ) and I do the same thing with my grandchildren.

I've never had a problem with kids being bored at a campsite. So much stuff on the ground to play with.

Also, give yourself a break and don't clean while you're camping. Obviously, you'll have to from meals, but don't aspire to have the most organized, perfect campsite. Take it from me, I regret spending so much time making things perfect when my kids were growing up. I mean I REALLY regret it. You can clean the camper when you get home. Other than food or trash, let your site be "lived in."

5. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Buy a small tent and stock it with their toys so the have and area all their own to play, just use these toys and tent when camping, (upgrade toys yearly) They will look forward to camping so they can use these special toys.

6. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Bug catcher or a lightning bug container, shovel and pail, crayons and paper (although my side kick couldn't sit still long enough for that). I had to tag team with my mom when we took the kiddo out at that age, she would cook and I keep the kid occupied at the playground or vise versa. The kiddo always had to be on the move so we hung around the playground, or pool, or a beach ball kickball on a field somewhere. I saw on Pinterest where you can make outdoor bowling using water bottles. I never tried it but looked like fun thing to do. You can probably use the beach ball as the ball while they are young and use a smaller ball as they age.

Orchid, Rik Peery and EmilyC like this.
  7. EmilyC

EmilyC New Member

Bordom isn't a problem. Its chaos in the extreme (twin 4 year olds that are wide open at all times when they are awake)

MaeKay likes this.
  8. Sjm9911

Lol you can try that with my kid, it's like she has 4 esspressos the second she wakes up. Bugs die, small animals and deer run for there lives. She mounted and rode a bull mastive once, ot wasnt leashed, and was a srrangers. If there is a sharp implement around she will make a craft project, weather you like it or not. Dolls will be so chopped up, and covered with nail polish that Chucky will turn his head and hide. She's six. The new world is you tube and lots of grown up stuff that they souldent be exposed to. Kinagarden was reading, writing , math and 1 and a half of homework. I played with blocks at that age and badly at that. They force them to grow up and there minds race........

Rik Peery likes this.
  9. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

One of my older grandsons was like that at 4. He's 9 now and thankfully calmed down some. When he was younger, we had to put invisible caution tape around the site that he wasn't allowed to go out of. But he did make chaos within the site. [LOL] Not sure what the outcome would have been with twins of him ....

So, yeah, electronics may be the answer after all. [;)]

Redbird234 likes this.
  10. EmilyC

EmilyC New Member

I have 4 teens. Ages 17, 16, 14 and 13 and then 4 year old twins. The teens are very capable of helping. And doing crafts or bike rides etc or making dinner for everyone. I just wondered if anyone had any good ideas.
    We just did glow in the dark bubbles last time we camped. It was a pretty big hit.
    All we did was broke glow sticks and cut them open and add to bubble solution. Pretty cool.

11. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Have them help. Bring a small broom and let them sweep off the picnic table or sweep the dirt ground around the site, let them "make the bed" by zipping up the sleeping bags, etc. Don't worry if they do a lousy job of it - like Orchid points let your campsite be lived in. Young kids love to help and when you're camping who cares if they're not that great at it.

Give them tasks when fixing dinner. Things like tearing lettuce into smaller pieces for salad. Let them plan a meal - make it a campfire foil meal - so they can put all the ingredients in the foil for each person and get it ready to go into the fire.

Go buy a couple cheap used digital cameras. Let them use them only when camping. Give them a photo scavenger hunt - "take a photo of wood" and let them use their imagination. Encourage unusual takes on the subject - like a camp sign or a twig for wood.

Have them make up stories and tell them to you while you fix meals or do the dishes.

Sotovoce, Bamabrat and EmilyC like this.
  12. EmilyC

EmilyC New Member

Love the digital camera idea.

Toedtoes likes this.
  13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

How about we give you a dog?? Some would like nothing better than lay and play among the kids. :) 4.jpg

MaeKay and Rik Peery like this.
  14. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Some of the pictures they take are hilarious. I was Going through the little side kicks camera pix once long time age and it turned into a game of "what is it". Had one, a VERY close up shot of my dogs nose. [LOL]

Toedtoes and EmilyC like this.
  15. EmilyC

EmilyC New Member

We have a drawer full of smart phones that we dont use anymore. They all have cameras on them. Definitely doing this next camping trip.

Bamabrat likes this.
  16. chadster

chadster Member

We camp with a 4 year old and a 16 month old. We usually do bug catchers, a bucket with a shovel, play doh is a hit, coloring, and we also allow them to each bring a toy from home. But for the most part the bug catcher and the bucket are the big hits.

Sotovoce likes this.
  17. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

I did the photography with my nieces for years. I remember taking one to a historical site with a small cemetery. We made a competition for best photo of a gravestone. Winner picked the restaurant for dinner. My 9 year old niece was jumping up and down while taking her photo to get a "spooky" photo. It was hilarious watching her so intent on getting that photo.

Another time, she spent the day running up and down a hill taking photos of her and her stuffed animal using the timer and a tripod. I ended up getting a shot of her at the camera and another with the toy and merged them into one photo. She took it to school and told her classmates and teacher that she was a twin.

18. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Used to have jr dude make little forts w/ kindling, rock piles etc, look for stuff around the camp site & name 'em, & had him close by to explain the cooking/cleaning process, simple things...we were dang fortunate he was geared low lol...

19. happybooker1

happybooker1 New Member

Cleveland TX (north of Houston in East Texas)
    Water guns, glow sticks, bubbles — these were our standbys.

Draw a circle in the dirt, one per child — about 18” across. Boys make forts or racetracks inside — girls make fairy castles or houses. They use all things they find outside to decorate: sticks, twigs, leaves, flowers, acorns, pieces of bark, rocks/pebbles, etc.

20. Sjm9911

I used the tv. Lol it worked great while I cleaned up and cooked. I let the 6 yo cook a bit also. That worked out nlt so good. She did enjoy hot dogs and beens over the campfire and the deserts in the pie iron. She also did play a bit as mentioned above, she made campsites for the lols.

Attached Files:

gladecreekwy and Rik Peery like this.