Ideas for using a camp dutch oven at home...

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by dbhost, Jul 1, 2019.

1. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Just throwing this out there to make sure I am not nuts. But I want to get the method of DO baking in particular down before I drag it to the campground this fall. I have a couple of the 22.5" Weber kettle grills, and I was thinking of using one, with a thrift shop pizza pan as a fireproof base from which to set up as a dutch oven table to do my at home DO cooking...

Would this be a good idea or does anyone have better ideas for me to try?

2. billbillbillbill

billbillbillbill Active Member

That would work fine. I cook in the backyard all the time and for many years, I just put a sheet of aluminum foil down on the concrete patio or dirt and cooked right on the ground. Now with little kids running around, I did get a dutch oven table to get it off the ground. Love dutch oven cooking!

3. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I use the DO at home. We have a large fire pit (4'x4'), so using the DO in their is easy. I will make either Apple Cobbler or Chicken and Rice. Both good comfort foods...[A]

When I use the DO down the shore at my MIL house I use a 12"x18" piece of sheet metal on the ground (the yard is all pea gravel). The metal helps reflect the heat back up and gives the DO a place to rest without sinking in the gravel.

dbhost likes this.
  4. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

I use a galvanized feed pan from Tractor Supply when using a DO in my Weber at home. I also use them in camp, on tables, grills, etc. I just can't do all that bending over any more.

5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

The DO is one of the FEW reasons I ever put ANYTHING anywhere near a park grill. I use it assuming the grill has a flip up grate, as nothing more than a DO table...

Do you have a link to one of those, I would think a feed pan would be too big. But you get the idea. I am trying to avoid stooping...

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

We do a spanish rice with fajita chicken thing at camp (guess it comes from living in Texas). I do that with my CI skillet but it has no lid, so I do use a pizza pan as a lid on that... Hokey, but we've had folks from neighboring campsites litereally stop by to ask what that wonderful smell was...

Pre marinated fajita chicken breast from HEB over the grill (We carry a tabletop charcoal grill with us), and spanish rice... Come to think of it, I am getting hungry...

The idea behind the pizza tray is they are often available at my local thrift shop for about a quarter, and the old ones are nice and heavy duty. Just place it on the cooking grate of the grill and set the coals in place. I am a bit concerned though, the cooking grate isn't nearly as heavy as the fire grate. I have non hinged grates I must take my good hinged ones out, and double up the non hinged ones to support it all...

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

That would be my first instinct, however spinal arthritis says no way... I need to get up off the ground where I am not stooping. I can go down, but I might not get back up!

8. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

After seeing this, I get the feeling I have asked about this before, and you answered. Sorry for the rusty memory!

Just a thought, Through drill them in at least 2 places and connect with round head screws, fender washers and wing nuts. Keep them able to come apart easily, but make them secure enough they can't slide apart...

10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I use a picnic table. To protect the surface I use a few bricks and a couple baking pans. One pan holds all the coals and chimney and the other holds just the DO and it's coals. Having the pans on the bricks help protect the table. So unless I'm clumsy and drop a coal I don't have any problems.

dbhost likes this.
  11. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

12. SteveP

SteveP Well-Known Member

Not necessary

13. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

No risk of the 2 halves sliding apart?

14. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

15. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Thanks for the input folks.

As I read your responses, I am thinking about my use. In my first post I think I nailed it...

Weber 22.5" Kettle. The cheap one from Walmart should suffice as I have it, and an older regular one that cooks better. Use the Wally World special as the DO stand. When I got my weber kettles, I swapped the non hinged grates for hinged ones. I have the OE grates no problem ready to go. SO my thought process is...

Set up the OE grates, at 90 degrees from each other so that the openings are squares...

Wrap the pizza pan in HD aluminum foil.

Start the charcoal chimney in the other kettle.

Once the coals are to temp, place accordingly around the DO and get to cooking...

I think this would be a good way to not only get DO cooking done, but also to extend the function of the kettles as I can be cooking the mail meal on the one kettle while cooking desert on the 2nd...

I'm likely to get that feed pan setup though for camping off grid where there is no park grill, or the park grill is part of the campfire ring...