ideas on adding extra support to the sliding beds

jujtacoma2010

Apr 8, 2015
I noticed that on one of the sliding beds, the 2 metals poles that supports at from the bottom was a little bent. These are the 2 round metal pipes that you have too hook either to your bumper and underneath the bed. I guess my kids are getting heavier. What can I do to add more support?

BelchFire

I speak fluent vise-grip
Mar 29, 2012
SE Georgia
Not sure what p'up you have, but most slides are rated around 1000 pounds. Do you have a manual for yours? You can download one here on the portal if you don't.

As for a bent support pole, I would see about replacing any that are bent because even though the setup "may" be rated for 1000 pounds, anything bent reduces that capacity (whatever it may be in your case).

If it weren't bent, I'd say don't worry about it, and after you replace the bent pole(s), you should be good to go unless you have another outstanding issue.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
If it's like my Jayco you can make new supports from 1/2" EMT from any good hardware store. Cut it to length and squeeze the ends with a vise.

Beecoach

Jun 13, 2014
SteveP said:
If it's like my Jayco you can make new supports from 1/2" EMT from any good hardware store. Cut it to length and squeeze the ends with a vise.
Good idea. Also if you have a fence company nearby they could make some, possibly stronger.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Orchid

Sharp Shootin' Grandma
May 8, 2011
Florida by way of WV and MD
Mr Zip said:
Those bunks hold 1200 lbs.

They do, but when people damage the poles, in other ways, I imagine it compromises the integrity of it. If a bent one gave, there would be much more damage to deal with.

On our Coachmen, it was obvious the bend was not from using the bed. The pole had been used for something, not related to the camper, at some point.

mikracer

Jul 28, 2015
I recently purchased a pup and the previous (original) owner installed some extra support bars that attach to the end of the bunk ends and have bars that fold down to the ground. It's basically a bar that covers the width of the bed and is attached with heavy duty velcro. You then attach the support bars to the crossbar and the support bars go to the ground. The crossbar and support bars do not stay on the bunk end when the trailer is folded up, they are stowed in a carrying case he also added.

XKPin

There's no situation so bad it can't be made worse
Oct 28, 2016
Gloucester, Virginia
The support poles were hollow, so we put lengths of rebar in them, to keep the bend from worsening.
I had a similar issue. First problem, the factory rod inserts were waaaay too close for the rods to be inserted - even with the help of another adult lifting up the bed! Second, I've been road hard and put up wet for too many years and it has taken a toll on my back. It's a tough position to be in while lifting & forcing in a crouch. I used threaded rod. You don't need to add the adjustment nuts for your back, but you can set the support rods to the exact distance required, even cut out a bent section while adding structural reinforcing to the support rod. 1st pic: modified support rods: 2d pic; placed in position loosely. 3rd; spun nuts up to take up the preload.
APartModified.JPG ARearLoose.JPG ARear Extended.JPG

DJS12354

Super Active Member
I had a similar issue. First problem, the factory rod inserts were waaaay too close for the rods to be inserted - even with the help of another adult lifting up the bed! Second, I've been road hard and put up wet for too many years and it has taken a toll on my back. It's a tough position to be in while lifting & forcing in a crouch. I used threaded rod. You don't need to add the adjustment nuts for your back, but you can set the support rods to the exact distance required, even cut out a bent section while adding structural reinforcing to the support rod. 1st pic: modified support rods: 2d pic; placed in position loosely. 3rd; spun nuts up to take up the preload.
View attachment 34898 View attachment 34899 View attachment 34900

Still able to crouch under the bunk and lift on my shoulders, but can see this idea being useful in the future. Thanks for sharing!

scubacamper

Super Active Member
Mar 19, 2013
Jacksonville, FL
I created one support for both sides by using three pieces of threaded pipe (cut to size at Lowe's) and 2 elbows. It makes a "U" that I put onto the nipples on the tongue and it gave excellent support to the bed above.

UKDiamond001

Aug 5, 2006
Suffolk UK
P1020692_zpszpvgrens.jpg

These extra supports have been added to my Starcraft by the previous owners, I can see no reason why as the bars attach to both top and bottom of the trailer creating a triangle that the bed sits on. Anyway, these are bolted to the knuckle end and have screw thread plates to adjust the height. I suppose they would make a sturdy frame to curtain off for under bed outside storage.

emoney

Super Active Member
Jul 7, 2018
The very first time I set up my p’up I knew even less that I did now. My wife says I’m a “big boy” so when it was time for me to cut and place the anti-fatigue mats in each bunk, I got nervous about both my inexperience and my size so I happened to have a rather sturdy shower curtain extension rod. Just so happens that when it’s closed it’s the exact height of the bed so I put it under, even purchased a 2nd one so there was one for each corner of the outer edge of the bunk. If nothing else, it gave me (her mainly) piece of mind.

roybraddy

Super Active Member
Mar 23, 2016
King George, Virginia
We sleep in the front tent bed end on our STARCRAFT 14 R/T.. This end has the front deck under it and uses a real sturdy set of 'short' support poles... being short gives much more strength in the support poles.

Vyiijdv.jpg

Google image

My rear tent bed uses four rather long support poles and I'm sure is not as strong as my front support arm sets...

vwCFXsv.jpg

Roy's image

Since there is only the two of us the rear tent bed is only used for day time storage of things behind our wrap around seating area. We normally have the curtain pulled hehe...

rm8iBb5.jpg

Roy's image

Roy Ken
SoQ6BfGm.jpg