If a campground says no acoholic drinks. Do you not go there or use cups

Discussion in 'I Smell Something Cooking!' started by Whiskeyme, May 20, 2009.

1. NatureGirl

NatureGirl New Member

I've found that if you're discreet and show no signs of intoxication, no one cares if you drink. We were at St. Andrews State Park in Florida back in March. The rules say no alcohol, but when we got there we noticed the recycling bins were overflowing with beer cans. DH mentioned it to the ranger and was told that we could have alcohol if we were responsible with it. DH went straight to Walmart for a case of beer. I, on the other hand, came prepared. I always pack my vodka in the cooler for drinking discreetly in a plastic cup. [;)]

2. 01YZF6

01YZF6 Dothan, AL

we have found 1 or 2 that are amazing parks, and have "no booze rules". 99% of our reason for camping is so I can spend quality time with the family, and have some well earned R&R.

as was mentioned above, all kinds of CG have policies on alcohol, and as long as it goes unnoticed due to responsible acts, you should be fine....

I think the main reasons for the NO BOOZE RULES is due to belligerent persons who decide that the fireplace and surrounding areas is the best place for them to dispose of unwanted items.....including defecating the woods and bushes with bodily functions.......

3. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yeah, been there done that, been on both sides of the fence as well. Might "smuggle" a couple tomorrow, haven't decided yet.

4. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I'm with rcjsmom on this one, in that I prefer no alcohol campgrounds. All of the NC state parks have a "no alcohol" policy. But it is my understanding that they won't bother you if you keep it discreet and behave yourself.

The bottom line is that if people behave themselves, it doesn't really matter to me. We've camped at a NY state park CG (Green Lakes) on July 4th weekend, and at our local state park CG on July 4th weekend. What a difference! It was a loud party with lots of drunkenness in the evenings at the NY site. The rangers would park in a dark area and watch everyone for hours. But here locally, it was quiet the whole weekend, other than some kids playing, which I enjoy hearing right up until quiet hours time. But not after!

5. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

I too do like the 'no alcohol' policy as I've camped next to 'drunks-r-us' several times in the past.

I'm not much of a drinker, but do occassionally like a nightcap when camping. If I so desire a drink, I will do so without advertising the fact. Might use a plastic cup.

Our group behaves when consuming alcohol, so have yet to have any issues.

6. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Doesn't matter much to me since I am not much of a drinker anyway.

7. dmaerz

dmaerz New Member

I camp with my kids and they watch what I do. If the rules say no alcohol, then there will not be alcohol. I do not want any mixed signals or fuel for arguments they might use later in life [:O]

Looking into the campground rules is part of the search. If we want quiet and family time, no alcohol is nice. If we are with friends and want to let our hair down, then we like a CG that allows alcohol.

8. jhami

jhami camper from ohio

I was camping at tapen lake which is an ohio state campground where alcohol is prohibited, as we where enjoying an adult beverage around the fire the park ranger stopped an said "can you please make it less obvious please"

9. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

Rusty not drinking!!!!!  Thats a good one!!!!!
    [​IMG]

Not that its a bad thing, the more "loosened" up Rusty gets, the more entertaining and funny he is!

10. Jean

Jean New Member

I agree. I don't drink, dd watches all that goes on. And, after listening to the "campers" in the site next to us arguing with their friends about who was drunk, I would definitely prefer one where alcohol is not allowed. Unfortunately, I don't know of one, or expect one, in Oregon.

If you drink, I don't care unless I know about it. If I know about it, it bothers me.

Jean

11. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Pa. State Parks prohibit alcohol. In my experience, if you're not irresponsible or obnoxious, they will overlook it.

No need to be derogatory. You're only inciting trouble with a statement like that.

Also unnecessary IMHO. The OP never said that he couldn't camp without drinking. He only said that he enjoys a drink or two with the fire. If he isn't drunk or obnoxious, how would you even know he was drinking? How would it affect you at all?

Not all people who take a drink are alcoholics or drunks. Let's reserve our criticism or denouncement for those who deserve it. The Portal is a special place because of it's diversity and sense of tolerance. Let's work to preserve that.

12. BiXLL

BiXLL Chippewa Twp., Pa.

Great post Joe, Thank you!!!!!

13. nhcaveman

nhcaveman Barrington, NH

Well said sir!

14. mouse6196

mouse6196 New Member

My DW is 5 months pregnant, and I have a 3 year old girl...they do all the drinking.... [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

They have to do what they can to put up with me...I can't deny them of that. [:D] [:D]

Seriously...I don't pick my sites by a drinking rule. Everyone can do what they want in my world...just be responsible. If it's not allowed, then I won'[t drink, but at the same time, I could care less if others do, if they are mature about it...

15. WV Hillbilly

WV Hillbilly Terra Alta, West Virginia

I would still go but....red cup all the way! [:D] [:D] [:D]

16. Big_kid

Big_kid Virginia Beach, VA

Discretion and responsibility.

'nuff said.

17. slyspyder

slyspyder Lake Saint Louis, MO

I would still go and have a few adult beverages in either a cup or a coozie. I don't drink to get drunk and am quiet about it, but there is nothing wrong with me having a beer sitting around the campfire.

An alcohol ban to me is silly, quite honestly. There are so many other things that can cause noise and disturb other campers.....are we going to outlaw them as well?? I am sure some would enjoy a pet-free campground to stop the barking.....some would enjoy a child-free campground to avoid the tricycles, shrieking, and screaming that go along with small kids....some would enjoy a music free campground where no one can hear anyone else's music.....the point is that anything can be a problem if people aren't respectful. I say go ahead and be quiet about it! [2C]

18. nico6196

nico6196 New Member

To answer the specific question, I wouldn't care if drinking was allowed or not and would not avoid such a campground because alcohol isn't allowed. I personally would follow the rules. As you can tell, I'm not a big drinker. If alcohol isn't "allowed" and my fellow campers were drinking but in a responsible manner, I wouldn't care.

19. Pugs in a PUP

Pugs in a PUP 1997 Niagara, 2003 Nissan Pathfinder, Wife, 4 Pugs

Please read the header, "PopUpPortal > Campground Cooking > I Smell Something Cooking! >"
    Not about whether we should or should not drink while out camping,.....
    ,,,,,,,,,,Who Cares,,,,,,,,,,,,

20. dcj070454

dcj070454 New Member

The no drinking ban is not focused on the person or persons that can socailly have a few beers and or cocktails. It is focused on the loud drunks that build huge bon fires and cause others distress. I will be soon and have fished at a local private CG, no drinking ban supposedly inforced. You walk around the lake and camping areas and look into the garbage cans, and bingo, beer cans and bottles. Use common sense, just don't be stupid.