If the forecast calls for thunderstorms and rain (60% chance)...

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by meggie_meah, May 27, 2015.

1. meggie_meah

meggie_meah New Member

Do you change plans?

We were planning on camping this weekend, and my parents rented a TT to camp along with us. It's been raining for weeeeeeks it feels like and rain is in the future through the weekend. We will be in Branson, MO and will be going to a show one night and Silver Dollar City the next day. So really not a lot of time at the campground.

I think we are going to get a hotel. Pop up + rain + mud + kids... Does not sound like fun. My parents have invested a bit of money with their camper reservation though and don't want to change plans. (They can be difficult when things don't go exactly how they envisioned ). So now the plan is they are going to camp and we are going to hotel it. I'm bummed that the weather isn't looking great, but I don't want to be miserable either. ;)

2. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

I would still go and make the most of it, especially since your parents rented a tt to join you.

3. spatter1

spatter1 New Member

I would go, too. For me it is about family and creating memories. Sometimes it rains. I can tell you that if I didn't go camping every time if !right rain, I would never go camping.

4. kennedyfamily

kennedyfamily New Member

We never cancel for weather. That is why we have a pop-up! We have two boys and very hairy dog. I think it rained every camping trip last year and sometimes it was pretty heavy. We have enjoyed some quiet family time in the camper and rainy adventure walks. I honestly think some of our best trips have been rainy trips. It really is in your expectations, attitude and being prepared!

However, we are prepared for the rain with the following:
    Awning
    Ez up for over the picnic table
    Ponchos
    Rain boots (even my husband)
    Clothes line or dryer to put under awning or bulkhead to keep wet ponchos etc. outside
    Extra dry clothes especially if you have a little guy-if the weather is warm and rainy we let him puddle jump in his poncho and underwear to save on wet clothes. No one can tell!
    Extra indoor activities-books for everyone, audio books (we have really enjoyed playing games inside while listening to the rain fall and Harry Potter audio book)
    Art supplies-not to messy-tape, crayons, paper, scissors etc.
    Cards and games
    Sometimes we have brought an old (heavy) TV and DVD player to watch some family movies when staying with hook up. We might do that again or just download a couple movies on iPads
    Towels-lots of towels!

Also research some dry places near by. We have been to a movie, an outdoor adventure area that was open in the rain, and even j its walked around a mall for some dry time).

Good luck!

5. froggie

froggie New Member

Main thing to worry about is flash flooding.

6. whitecastleman

whitecastleman Member

I certainly prefer the sun over the rain as well, but I would still go even if rain was predicted. Even if the weathermen's predictions are correct (which seems rare these days) you still can make tons of family memories by being flexible. Let us know what happens!

7. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

You forgot to mention the PONTOONS! [:D]

8. VonValterstein

VonValterstein Member

If it were me, I would keep the plans and go stay at the campground with your parents, especially with them putting so much into renting the TT to be with you. Even with the rain - you will make some great memories! Like others have said, just prepare for the worst. If you end up in the camper whenever you aren't out and about, make sure you have games, activities, and such to keep everyone busy. I, personally, love hearing the rain on the roof of the pop-up - it is very relaxing to me [{}=]

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Nope I'd camp in the rain if I had reservations with the reason backing out being a chance of rain for any trip.

Did your parents rent the camper to come camping with you? The family time they may be expecting will be gone if you hotel it instead.

Your line of they can be difficult when things don't go their way could be exactly what the are thinking.

Not to be harsh but please check with your parents on their expectations of hanging out with you first. If it were not for them coming it would be strictly personal preference as you could find a really neat hotel with an indoor pool and have a great time with that too (I do my share of hotel trips). If they are cool with it (really cool with it) than what we would do is irrelevant.

Checking your parents expectations for this trip is all that matters - not what we would do...

10. bondebond

bondebond New Member

My plans change to include extra shoes, extra clothing, maybe some more towels and possibly throw in a tarp or two. [{}=] [KK] [{}=] Otherwise, it's full speed ahead and hope for some [SUN]!

11. niagarafam

niagarafam Active Member

It always seems to rain at some point. Go for it!

Keep On Poppin' In The Free World!

12. jman1200

jman1200 http://i529.photobucket.com/albums/dd340/jmanotas/

There is a 40% chance it won't rain !

13. exploreco

exploreco Active Member

Nope, not at all. We go pretty much regardless. We just plan on a messy camper. Plus the weather is not always accurate, lol. We spent all day inside Sunday because of rain. Got a good nap, had some good family time. Rain let up for long enough for a fire Sunday night. That is just the nature of camping.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S4 using Tapatalk

14. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

We usually cancel. DW doesn't like running in and out of the camper when everything is wet. It is not fun enough for us to deal with the hassle of wetness and mud.

15. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

I would go, after I had made the plans and arranged everything. As I used to tell my son and daughters, " I doesn't have any soap in it"
    Enjoy the trip. Ma nature will do whatever she wants to do.

16. egapylime

egapylime Member

It rained 2 of 4 days last weekend for us. My kids ran in the rain, got muddy, filthy, and stinky but they had a BLAST! I am OCD about cleaning but I worked really hard to let it go last week and I am so glad I did. Weather doesn't always cooperate, but it was still so much better than being home!

17. gruss

gruss Active Member

Go man go, after spending 24 hrs straight in heavy rain ( I swear it was like lake effect rain) one time in our old leaky camper, a 60% chance wouldn't make me think twice...if I thought about it at all.

Some spotty showers are nothing...we bring some cards and monopoly and make the best of it.

18. Luvin Life

Luvin Life Member

We camp rain or shine! We let the forecast guide us as to what we pack, but not what our plans may be. We had 36 hours of rain last weekend which made a mess of the kids, dog, & camper. We used a lot of towels, had a filthy camper by the time we got home, and had some quiet down time with our kids. I am still doing laundry to get the muddy camper back together! Keep your plans, rain is part of the bargain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

19. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

We camp. We have a screened room to go around our awning. Makes a HUGE difference in rain. Kids can peal off the clothes out there. We camped in a pasture last weekend and the axles we're sinking to the ground just getting in. Kids had a blast and camper is no more dirty than if it hasn't rained all weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. camp dad

camp dad New Member

I agree with most of the comments. If my parents had made the effort to rent a TT and we all already had reservations we would camp. Its just mud, it will clean up. Sounds like your parents will be headed to the campground regardless,
    I wouldn't send them out there by themselves. Go make some memories!