If you Can't Salvage the Pup, at least salvage the camping trip!

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by volkster, Oct 31, 2011.

1. volkster

volkster Member

Our last camping trip was a great one, but it was very trying towards the beginning.

First of all, another manager at my company quit unexpectedly, so any spare time to get ready was lost, and our early Thurs-Sun trip became sometime Fri-Sunday.

So one night after work that week, I started to pop up our tired old Rockwood. It's had a hard life. I never did find a way to completely seal the roof, and every attempt made it heavier. The canvas is about gone... Everytime we use it, I think maybe it's time to retire it or do a complete rebuild. Anyway, as I'm cranking, I hear an all-to familiar snap, crackle, pop.... CRASH! the rear end went back down. I know I don't have time to fix it and I already don't ever want to see another lifting spring... EVER!

OK, so I disconnected the shaft to the rear. On our trip, I'll crank up the front and manually lift and prop the rear... The Lord knows I've done that sort of thing in the past.

We're meeting about 15 friends on this long anticipated trip. Usually, we're the first to get there and be set up. This time, it's nearly dark when we get there. I have trouble disconnecting the trailer. I have trouble levelling it out. I prop the top enough to pull the bunks out, so I can go in there and lift the roof, and the bunk comes off track... Grrr! Then, I start to crank up the front half. It wasn't a "snap, crackle, pop.... CRASH!", more of a snap, and then slowly rolling down.

At that moment, I was seriously considering just jumping in the van and leaving the pup there, never to return. If all of our stuff wasn't in there, I really might have. As I'm deliberating, my wife says, "We keep that old tent in there, we can just sleep in a tent." I am NOT sleeping in a tent after dragging this thing out here!

The gears were a mess... probably not going to fix this in the dark with few tools and the top still down.

Finally, I went to Home Depot and got 6 2x4's and some long screws. SCREW IT! I disconnected the lifting arms. Then I had my friends hold the roof up and I screwed 2x4's onto the outside. That roof was more stable than it had ever been! I even thought about leaving it up for the trip home.

That old Rockwood has probably seen it's last campsite, but the rest of the weekend was a great one!

2. volkster

volkster Member

3. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

For $350 it doesn't look too bad. Needs some roof work, tenting has issues, and some repair because of leakage. But overall looks pretty sound. And I like the hard sides. Hope you got a winner.

4. volkster

volkster Member

Got it home yesterday and we are very pleased. Roof repair will probably wait until spring, but doesn't look too difficult.

Setup is much faster and easier! the thing goes right up. The door is already in place- no folding it down, unzipping windows to get the canvas to stretch enough to fit into the extrusion.... it just goes into place on it's own!

Other than that, I'm sure we'll eventually be re-arranging things. I find the built-in drawers to be pretty useless. Also, this thing has a fridge... that you have to go in to the far corner and get down on your knees to use, and the door opens backwards! I doubt if that will last long.

5. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

So, where is the Rockwood and what are you going to do with it?

6. volkster

volkster Member

I've got it here on Warsaw, IN 46580. I was thinking of making a cargo trailer since it has good surge brakes.

Are you looking for any parts?

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

No, I was just curious. I'm sure you'll be able to sell some of the parts, though.

8. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

I see the photo of a what appears to be an installed ice chest. Can you tell me, is that stock or was it a modification by the PO.

9. volkster

volkster Member

It looks to be stock. There's even an access door for the drain.

10. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Now that Ice chest is not something that many Popups have. Very nice!