If you have front storage, do you actually use the pull out drawer?

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by bheff, May 10, 2019.

1. bheff

bheff Active Member

I have a 2011 Forest river with a storage compartment on the front. It can be accessed from the top when the beds are in but from the side when the beds are out. The plastic bin and slide must weight 100lbs. I'm thinking about removing it. I just cant see hauling around an extra 100 pounds.

2. Dan Wilson

Dan Wilson Active Member

I use mine for those bulky items that can't be stored inside, a pail, hoses, gray water tote, my outside shelf system. Things that are light but require space.

Garrity likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I have an older Coleman, they dont have the slide. So basicly, after your set up its only the stuff you can reach thats accessable. I basicly dont use it after im set up, my front trunk has chairs, table, hoses, grill, wood for leveling, etc. So , after i set up i hope to not need anything from there. If the slide is not used and your looking to shave weight, or even just add a few inches of space, remove it. Its your pup!

tombiasi likes this.
  4. darrenandmelissa

darrenandmelissa Member

That slide out storage compartment is amazing. I store everything that I need for the exterior setup in that drawer. One side has my arms for the beds, tools for lowering stabilizers, wood to put under the stabilizers, arms for weight distribution bars, axe, fire poker. The other side has my extra 30A power cord and my water hoses.

5. dbhost

dbhost Active Member

Is there any way to remount the pull out drawer on a ball bearing compound slide system to make it easier to pull out? Or is it the weight in the camper itself you are concerned with?

6. Aladin Sane

Aladin Sane I'd rather be camping

We like the slide out drawer in our starcraft about as much as any feature it has. It gets used multiple times a day on every trip. I would not buy another pup without one.

7. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I also have an older trunck with no drawer system and honestly I rarely have to dig far once I pull what I need for set up out. Occasionally I need my tool box but I keep that at the front hatch so it's never been an issue. Everything else that's stored in there is taken out during set up. So if it's an issue for you I don't see why you can't remove it. Personally I'd think the extra space would be more beneficial. That's assuming your like me and only access it during setup.

8. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

We don't have a slide out drawer in our front storage trunk. just the lid that opens, but you can still get at it even with the bunk out (although not as easily). When we stop and set up, we get all of the things out of the front storage trunk that we need such chairs, grill, poles, table cloth, ground mat... We usually don't need to get in it again after we have set up. It is fantastic for all it holds, especially the bulky items.

9. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Our Coleman didn’t have a slide but had a pass thru to the inside and the side door. Never had a problem getting anything. I think the slide would take up space

10. bheff

bheff Active Member

I took the drawer out and the slide it sat on. It did take up space and weighs about 100 pounds. Now it sits in my garage taking up space..lol

11. Garrity

Garrity Member

I use ours for exactly what they said. I also have our outside screen room and flag pole in there.