If you've never done this, you're probably lying. :)

generok

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 7, 2013
Anchorage, AK
Yeah, I did it once in the garage to clean the PUP...just cranked it up quick and forgot the stabs... it just rocked back and came down hard on the jack.

NMroamer

Super Active Member
Apr 21, 2016
Albuquerque NM
I have been fortunate to have a sales person repeat at least 10 times during the walk thru STABS down first up last. Not firm just enough to barely touch the ground. Then later adjust as needed. Never had a problem.

bondebond

Super Active Member
Aug 14, 2008
Doing a little at-home repairs where I just wanted to set it up and do a quick task, I did not put down the stabilizers, nor did I pull out the front bunk very far. I walked to the back of the PUP and felt gravity doing a thing. Time to about-face and run towards the front. Thankfully, no permanent damage.

Dingit

Super Active Member
Mar 8, 2017
Nope. Once I did get out of our old Apache after popping it up and cleaning it and noticed I'd forgotten the stabilizers. So it should have happened...guess it was tongue heavy.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
Not as bad. With my old camper I had it stored in off-site grass lot storage tongue high I was trying to give it a slight sponge bath so I stood on the back bumper to reach the back roof when it felt it move a little. I jumped off within seconds. So no crashing down. Never done it when open but that's probably because I was around popups since growing up. So it wasn't new for me.

campagain

Jun 24, 2017
Doing a little at-home repairs where I just wanted to set it up and do a quick task, I did not put down the stabilizers, nor did I pull out the front bunk very far. I walked to the back of the PUP and felt gravity doing a thing. Time to about-face and run towards the front. Thankfully, no permanent damage.
Feels like the Titanic when it happens :)

bluespruce

Jul 6, 2011
Not that yet. But our second trip out on our first PuP I forgot to chock the wheels. lot sloped to the back where there was about a 5’ drop off to a 10’ wide creek. In my haste to set up with anxious wife and crying newborn I put the wheel on the front jack and started unhitching. Once the hitch cleared the TV ball I immediately realized the flaw in my poor planning.

it started rolling, I started digging in my heels and screaming like a 10 year old girl who saw a spider. Fortunately we were camping with some friends and my buddy was quick to react. He grabbed a piece of firewood and threw it under the back of the wheel.

almost lost a brand new camper in the creek that day. When camping with that same buddy he always asks if I choked the wheels before I unhooked. its Been 18 years since that incident and we still laugh about it. Seems to come up around the campfire too if someone new is around who hasn’t heard the story.

and I am now paranoid about choking the wheels. Triple check every time.

Spridle

Super Active Member
Jun 6, 2011
Nearly did that in the old Coleman. The Niagara is 4000#. I can jump on the rear pumper and nothing happens.

Latest posts