IL- Fulton County Camping and Recreation Area

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by parkyeti, Apr 11, 2015.

1. parkyeti

parkyeti New Member

Just an FYI for those campers in the Central IL area. There is a small campground named Fulton County Camping and Recreation area that I currently lease a spot for my other camper for when we are not on the road. It has roughly 20 electric sites and about the same non electric open to the public. Great place to stop for a night or two if you are passing through. It is about 35 minutes west of Peoria. If you like to fish there are 9 lakes that are stocked yearly. Not much for the kiddos other then to explore nature but thats what camping is all about. If anyone would like more information feel free to contact me. The campground has a new director that is trying to promote growth and advertising so I thought I would bring it up here.

Website is lacking but it does have some basic information.

Current website is http://www.fultonco.org/officials/appointed/camping-and-recreation-director/

2. sswon1

sswon1 New Member

I took a look at the websute but it did not specify any info about hiking trails. Are there any and how long?? Can you mountain bike on them? We live in west central Illinois and are always on the look out for new places close to home. The kids are older and it's just my husband and I. We like to bike, hike, run and the relax. Are the spots shades? We also upgraded this spring to a 29 foot motor home, how big are the sites?
    Thanks

3. parkyeti

parkyeti New Member

Im planning on heading down on Monday to mow my lot. Ill talk to the park superintendent and see if I can more get exact information. I am trying to visualize where the hiking trails are and I am coming up blank. There are about 15 electric overnight campsites. Of those there are 5-6 that are almost fully shaded. The other ones are in a horshoe in an open field essentially with a few trees around the edges. My in-laws have a 35' fifth wheel they have pulled into a majority of the overnight spots so I would imagine your 29' would fit as well. Ill try and get a few pics of the spots and post next week. They also have a facebook page that posts information and pictures almost weekly. It is the best way to find out about upcoming events and information about the park.

4. parkyeti

parkyeti New Member

If the link works, there are a handful of pics I took on Monday. There are a couple of the primitive sites, a couple of one area of overnight electric that are for smaller rigs with less shade, and finally a few pictures of the back in sites that are fairly well shaded. As far as the trails they are actually just farm roads that go around the field there arent actual hiking trails as one would think. You will see a ton of deer and wildlife when venturing the trails but not really what I would call trails. They are more farmers access to the fields that are intertwined between the lakes.

I also took a pic of the new showerhouse they built a couple years ago and one pic of one of the main lakes boat ramps.

http://s284.photobucket.com/user/hutchison83/library/FCCRA

5. sswon1

sswon1 New Member

Thanks for the update, looks like it will be worth a trip!