IL-Rock Cut State Park

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by Yooperwannabe, Mar 26, 2010.

1. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

We are about to leave on our Maiden Voyage in the NTU Jayco. We are headed to Rock Cut State Park, near Rockford, Illinois. This will be our first time at the park and can't wait to see how everything goes. We will take and post pictures so you all can see the park.

So excited.

MrBill12 likes this.
  2. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

Cool Robin [A] Enjoy yourselves. thought sure you'd do a Weldon Springs trip before going anywhere else!

3. MWR00 55

MWR00 55 Cherry Valley, IL

Hey I only lve about 15 mins from there. Was thinking on maybe going Sat night. What Night are you going to be there?

4. Yooperwannabe

erich, we will be going to Weldon Springs when we leave here on Sunday. If not for getting the chance to visit with my granddaugher, the Springs would have been our first trip.

Scott,We are at the park now, very large campground. We set up directly across from the playground and will be leaving Sunday. It is very chilly, maybe too chilly for my taste in camping. Thank goodness we have the furnace.

5. vnconn

vnconn New Member

I'm so jealous that you are camping already this year! We were on the interstate today and saw dozens of campers, I assume people getting them out of storage, bringing them home and getting stocked up. We'll be doing that in about a month and I can't wait!

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from your trip!

I've been away from the portal for too long, it's good to see you guys again :)

6. Yooperwannabe

Hey vnconn, good to see you posting again, you are right, you have been away too long. I will post some photos soon.

7. MWR00 55

MWR00 55 Cherry Valley, IL

Sorry I missed you guys this time. I am sure we will run into each other soon.

8. Yooperwannabe

Scott, I was wondering what happened to you. It was rather cold for camping, IMO anyway. We stayed inside more than we ever had in the past. We will be back to the Rockford area for visits with our Granddaughter. Much easier to stay in Rockford for the visits than to bring her all the way back to Clinton and then drive back to Rockford in two days. That would 12 hours driving every two or three weekends.

As far a review of the campground... I just don't have much to report. As I already said we spent most of our time indoors. The park itself is very large and the seemed to be very nice. The shower houses were closed and only had pit toliets open, but they were clean and odor free. I suppose with all of the swimming and boating oportunites, it would be a fun place in the summer months but for us, I am not sure it would be worth the premium price. As far as we are concerned we will be going to the forest preserves in the Rockford area, if they are open for the season. I will update with photos as soon as we get home, my signal is very weak here at Weldon Springs.

Oh, BTW, one of the neat things about the park was the large amount of wild turkeys that roamed the park. We got nice pictures of them. Pretty cool.

9. erich0521

erich0521 New Member

Sounds fun anyway! Valerie, did I see you post on this little portal!?!
    That furnace idea is a good one isn't it? [;)]

10. Yooperwannabe

I finially got around to uploading the pictures we took of Rock Cut campground. As I said before, the place was next to empty, but there were wild turkeys everywhere. Click on my photo link if you are interested in seeing the campground.

11. mspontiac

mspontiac Member

It looks like a nice place! Seems you had your choice of spots when you went. [:D] The turkeys were very neat too...I love watching wildlife. Thanks for sharing, it's always helpful when others from my state give their input on a CG near us.

12. Yooperwannabe

Not a problem, Michelle, that is what the forum is all about, helping each other out.

13. Yooperwannabe

14. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

Man those sites look awful. Is that what the majority of rock cut is like? I was planning on going there this year but not if that's what most of the sites are like. I want to actually feel like I'm in the woods.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

15. Yooperwannabe

If you want to be in the woods, try Hononegah, it is one of four campgrounds in the Winnebago county Forest Preserves. I did a review of it under Illinois Campground Reviews. I will update photo soon.

http://www.wcfpd.org/preserves/hononegah/

16. ghacker

ghacker Active Member

Thx. for posting those pics. Thought a few times of trying Rock Cut but think I'll pass. I like more woods.

17. Yooperwannabe

Unfortunately I can not find my photos of Hononegah. If you want a 'wooded" campsite, in the Rockford area, I would highly suggest one of the four Forest Preserves in Winnebago County.

18. CamperMike

CamperMike Member

ghacker, Another park near Rockford that _might_ interest you is Lowden state park in Oregon. They have nice wooded sites in their "primitive" white oak camping area. No electric at those sites though. The electric sites at the main campground in Lowden are more open and not as nice.

19. chinolofus

chinolofus New Member

Thanks for the suggestion. I look forward to the pics.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

20. triskal

triskal New Member

I know this is an old thread but I thought I would put in my 2 cents since I live near this park and know it well. The pics in this thread show an older section of the campground where the sites are closer together. They have a newer section with several loops where the sites are more separated, many with trees and shrubs between the sites so you can find many that a fairly private and more wooded.

it is close the thigh highway so you will hear highway noise at night in addition to wildlife sounds. They have great mountain biking trails throughout the park with part of the trail cutting right through the campground. The main lake is Pierce lake with lots of fishing and boating options including rental canoe's, paddle boats and kayaks. They have a second lake that has a swimming beach - not exactly the soft sands of Florida but it is decent.