ILL. COUNTY CAMP GROUNDS?

Discussion in 'Illinois' started by ill.plainsman, May 27, 2013.

1. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

Just wondering how many little camp grounds are around,county owned not private in Illinois? i have seen a couple and they are real nice. one was bare boned a bare park with no amenities. lodge park by Monticello is bare although i have not camped there. mature trees and a pond overgrown with moss,sorry. Friends creek by Cisco with a few trails and a mature tree campground mowed like a city park and also has a pretty park for picnicking. saw one in southern Illinois that i didn't get to investigate. so the question is who and where and what have you seen in the county parks of Illinois?

2. Yooperwannabe

Yooperwannabe Active Member

We have only camped at two county parks, Comlara and Friends Creek, preferring Comlara because of the huge Evergreen lake. Friends Creek is a beautiful park, but not much for kids to do, making it great for the older couple.

I would love to know how many Forest Preserves are out there in Illinois. I know there are four in Winnebago County, we have stayed at one, Hononegah and loved it. We have also been to Forest Glenn Forest Preserve, in Westville, which is near Danville. Once again, great park with water side sites. Then there is Middle Fork, of course, which is our family favorite. I am sure there are many more out there and would love to find them. The Forest Preserves seem so much more "forested", more peaceful and less populated, even when they are full.

3. WadeT

WadeT New Member

Out of curiosity IP why just county CG's? We found a great no frills CG in Carmago off of 36 that we are going to go to fathers day weekend. It has 20 amp svs and a dump area and drinking water and a decent bathhouse.... From what I found out you just take a site and the "old man in the red pickup" comes around a couple of times a day to get money from folks...

Hope all is going good fer ya IP!!!

Hope to see ya camping soon [SUN] [SUN]

Wade

4. ill.plainsman

ill.plainsman happy, happy

wade we were just thinking of small CG's. i thought if it's small it would probably be a county CG. you say by camargo. have hook ups? oo[p's missed a part. any amenities? trees or trails nearby? creek or river in or near? sites big or on top of each other? would be great to get away. i should be camping by then. go in next week for anouther xray. should be good. finally slept last night for 6 hours without waking up 2 or more times. well have fun, we might invite ourselves down.

5. WadeT

WadeT New Member

Woods wood has no real amminities or trails and the river looks like it would take a rope to help you get to it. We may try this one on a impromptu overnight but for now I think we have all agreed on Middlefork where we had the rally as out CG of choice!

6. bagobutler

bagobutler A bad day camping is a good day living.

Just now came across this topic. We live in Winnebago County in the northern tier of the state. A previous poster commented on one of our County CGs, Hononegah. We frequent the one called Seward Bluffs in the south central part of the county. It is in an awesome oak forest, the campground is quiet, pit johns (very clean), electricity, but no water hookups. There is water available, just no hookups. We have tent camped there probably 15 times, and two weeks ago in our PUP. The people are great, the atmosphere is incredible. I call it Winnebago County's best kept secret.