I'm A Campaholic!

Discussion in 'Jokes And Campfire Stories / Songs' started by PopUpSteve, Oct 16, 2021.

1. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I'm a campaholic, I don't just camp for one night. I don't understand people who go camping for just one night. I don't understandt people who leave the campground on Saturday morning after getting there Friday night. I don't understand people who say one night of camping is enough. How can you have enough of feeling like this? How can you not want to feel like this longer? My brain works differently.

2. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

@PopUpSteve... We love camping and wish we could stay longer. We like four day trips once a month for now since we’re still working full time. The guys at the station know I’m heading out on my once a month camping trip when I’m off. I can’t wait to go on a road trip to the east coast when I retire. I want to camp along the way. I’m so jealous of folks able to go camping for weeks and months. It sounds so wonderful and relaxing.

We see lots of newbies out camping for their first season on one nighters. It’s either that or they’re on a road trip and just stopping for the night. I don’t recall how many times I’ve lend out my LED lantern to newbies. We don’t need it since we have the LED light strip on KODI and LED headlamps. But I always keep the lantern stored inside the cargo area in case it’s needed.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Ha! that reminds me of a really funny story. We were at a remote primitive CG in AK, and we watched a P/U truck roll into a site. The truck was a cliche "hillbilly" truck, stuff piled up over the cab, strapped to the tailgate, etc. So they set up a massive tent, pull out their full-size gas grill, lawn chairs, canoe, fire pit, generator, bunks, you name it. Family of five. They are complaining the entire time, and they start the genny at 2pm and it runs on the WORST governor ever; surging and nearly stalling until 2 minutes before quiet hours at 10pm. The night ensues peacefully.

The next morning at 8am, the packup begins, and they roll out at 9:30am. I was gobsmacked! My mind paused for the entire trip on that whole thing.

So, I hear ya' man. I don't get it either.

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I'm a campaholic it if for that reason I camp on the weekends and if I tent camped just for the night. My job isn't very flexible so I take camping anyway I can get it. Sure I would love to be able to camp for a week straight or even longer but unfortunately I'm stuck with one week long trip a year and many weekend or long weekend trips. I found I can almost always get away with taking a Friday off but there are times I can't. So If I'm able to find a site I will pull in after work and stay the weekend. I can squeeze in many many many camping trips that way. Sure it's a pain but I'm camping. Only once was I able to take two weeks off but that took the act of god to get it accepted by my boss and even her boss above her and even then the amount of recovery work I had to do to catch up I had to do was nearly impossible in the short deadline they gave me. Now if I lucked out and found a campground with awesome wifi access I may just be able to go camping but unfortunately those type of campgrounds are really not my style and I'd rather stay home anyway. No, unfortunately our company computers do not allow hotspots.

5. Beatrice

Beatrice Member

I don't understand "those" people either... I'm usually a Tuesday to Thursday camper, with at least 2 week long trips thrown in per season...
    As far as the "hillbilly" wagon...I don't get that either...how much crap do you need?

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Some are forced by a spouse to "camp" out for a night...please show some mercy [LOL]

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Lol, ok im in the i take everything with me camp. Im getting older and my kido wants some conveniences. And while not rich i can afford some stuff. But im also with rick perry. My kid wants things , and if i xan make rhe experiance a bit more enjoyably for her i will. Mostly so we can go camping. I do go for 5 to 7 days almost every trip though. If im planning, and packing, and driving, im definitely staying a bit. Getting to a campground at 2 or 3 pm, setting up , then packing up in the am to me is not relaxing. If i do it , its to get to a better destination. But i also have a TT, so less to set up on an overnight.

8. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

We frequently take 2 week road trips and overnight at campgrounds along the way. We get to our destination, stay put for a few days, then roll home the same way.

9. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I think the longest we've [DW and I] have gone is 10 days... that's "Camping" mind you, NOT "destination camping" [meaning NOT using our Camper as an an alternative to a Hotel on the way to somewhere.]

Now, as for me, the longest I'VE been camping is about 6 months.... back in my "Hippie" days, I thought I wanted to live in the woods... all by myself... be a hermit.... ended up living in a ramshakle cabin.... summer was great but, let me tell ya, the winter was rough!!! [hygene became "problematic"].... cured me of the "hermit" vibe real quick!!!

As much as I hate to admit it, I DO like people ... I can just only take them for periods of time [edit: and I'm SURE they feel the same way about me] and then... I HAVE TO GET BACK into the woods... campfire... campfire coffee... a good hike... maybe get my line wet.... maybe a good paddle... just the sights and sounds of Nature and The Good Lord... peace... serenity... [SERENITY NOW!!!! LOL]

Camping restores my soul!!!... I NEED IT!!!... it's my "drug of choice"....but, when it becomes a chore and I get enough of myself, I head back into society and let the cycle start all over again.

One night doesn't do it for me.... mostly because of the chore of setting up camp... it's the second day when my spirit starts to let go... has to be a minimum of two nights around a campfire for me to breathe that sigh of relief

Happy Trails!

Last edited: Oct 17, 2021
    Amy G, jmkay1, Susan Premo and 7 others like this.
  10. Mark CASTELLANI

@Rik Peery

[LOL]... and a big Thumbs Up.PNG

Happy Trails!

DiamondGirl, Rik Peery and Sjm9911 like this.
  11. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Generally we do two or more nights, but prefer three or more. On rare occasions there has been a one nighter, but I'll take what I can get. I see a lot of one nighters in the mountains. Usually they are on motorcycles or camper vans. Next year we are planning a trip to the Grand Canyon for spring break. The trip will require two one night stays each way and four nights there. Actually considering renting a camper there and flying out.

12. Mark CASTELLANI

PS [and FWIW]... a life-long friend traveled back to our roots and took a pic of the infamous "Cabin".... it still stands after 50 years... YIKES!!!

The Cabin.jpg

Happy Trails!

13. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

I know the feeling! I have a small select circle of like minded people I call friend, others I tolerate for short periods of time. I enjoy the rare large gathering for a short time, but as the size the crowd grows so does the the odds of encountering an @$$. I'm generally a happy you do you and I'll do me kind of guy. When others start imposing what they want on those that aren't interested I have a problem with them.

14. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

...did you hear that?... ...was that a banjo?

15. RonDad

RonDad Active Member

Ironically, we recommend short, local shakedown trips on this forum. Get a sense of how things work, what you need/ don’t need to pack, how the vehicle tows while loaded with “normal” load, and so on.

Just imagine everyone is following our advice…or at a one night stopover on a longer drive.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We seldom camp solely to camp, we're usually exploring an area. Most places we go are a 5-9 hour drive, so we try not to go for fewer than 3 nights at a destination. However, we do sometimes do overnight stops on a longer trek.
    That said, I do wonder about overnight campers in some places. We just got home from our annual (more or less) trip to both Rims of Grand Canyon. Neither is just a short jaunt off the main road, you have to pretty much be going there on purpose. We see people in both dry campgrounds and Trailer Village (South Rim), who arrive late and leave early. Leaving early is a routine at both Rims, which we discovered on our first trip 30 years ago - we assume some is to get to another destination, some is because the people are camping the night before a backpack and they want to be on trail early. For some of the RVs, it's understandable, since it's the way they get around much of the park, but otherwise, our inclination would be to pitch camp, be it tent, popup, or trailer, then sight-see until tired.

17. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

We do one-night stops on road trips, but I prefer to keep them to a minimum if possible. And our set up and take down time is just a few minutes. I can't imagine getting out all sort of gear just to pack it up again.

18. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

@kitphantom, You need to go to North Rim again, and hike into Snake Gulch via the Table Rock entry "(south side of Snake Gulch). There is rock art to be seen.

Did you ever drive out to Kanab Point - we tent camped out there (G.C. back country permit required) some years ago, A wiiiide vista to be had. Just be sure to get the "BLM Arizona Strip" map.

Karey and DiamondGirl like this.
  19. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

Well better one night than zero I guess... we typically camp a minimum of a standard weekend, setup on Friday night, teardown Sunday morning. That's still a lot of work for one full day, but at least we get two evenings around the campfire and some good family time in.

There's a lot of things about other camper's schedules I don't get. Last time we camped, someone drove in around 9pm, had a campfire, then came over and said "we're leaving so here's some extra firewood". I guess they rented a site for just a couple hours? Also common to see one-nighters. And when we're camping relatively close to the twin cities metro, knowing virtually everyone comes from the metro area or closer, it's always puzzling for me to see people up at 6, 7am tearing down so they can be out of there before 8am. Our routine is to have one last hearty hot breakfast, watch church virtually, then tear down, with the hopes to pull out around 11am and either have a quick picnic lunch (cold) before heading out, or eating on the road if we want to make better time.

But everyone has their schedules, and their thing, I guess. I always say it's notable how few teens are out with their families camping, even older elementary kids. You see a bazillion little kids, and lots of older people. Where are those older kids? I'll tell you where, sports, scouting, music contests, etc. etc. Their lives are jam packed and as the father of two teen boys it's hard for us to even get out sometimes.

20. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member

so far we camp only in support of exploring new places or old favorites on vacation

Mark CASTELLANI and DiamondGirl like this.