I'm A Campaholic!

Discussion in 'Jokes And Campfire Stories / Songs' started by PopUpSteve, Oct 16, 2021.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Scouts haven't been bad, but the DQT did marching band. That's nuts, half the summer, all of fall, and into winter they claim all family time. That will not happen again.

jmkay1 and DiamondGirl like this.
  2. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

We went camping each month with the Scouts for a decade until DS became an Eagle Scout. We gotten so used to camping each month that we continued camping with friends from Scouts. The longest time I didn’t go camping was last year when I was recovering from Covid-19 for months.

Hi, “I’m a Campaholic.”

Happy Camping…[put&hy]

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  3. Mark CASTELLANI

Mark CASTELLANI Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

@Hilldweller ... HA! [LOL]... ya know we canoe, right?.... DW actually has a sweatshirt that says "Paddle Faster... I hear banjos"...

FWIW... that PIC is a stark reminder as to WHY I'm a "Camp-a-holic" ... the road I grew up on was just over 2 miles long and there were only 12 homesteads/farms on it... my dad had a couple of hundred acres [give or take 40 of woods] and he had the least amount of land of all my neighbors...that cabin sat on the edge of an open field... there were raspberry bushes galore... down the way, there was an old, over-grown apple orchard [ever see a horse, drunk on fallen, fermented apples?]... in the winter, I could strap on my X-country skis and head out into thousands of acres of countryside... anyway, long story short... somebody's about to tear it down and develop the land... that road now has twice as many houses.... add one more... [yea yea, I know... me and my buds were guilty of "developing" that land, too, when we built the cabin but, there weren't no driveways... we had to hike in]

I get it.... can't fault them, I suppose.... it WAS beautiful country...people are drawn to beauty... but, IMHO, sooner or later one ends up with TOO MANY neighbors.... "They Paved Paradise and put up a Parking Lot"

as for me... I'll brave the banjos [LOL]... just...

Happy Trails!

4. Lebowski16

Lebowski16 Member

This would be a prime example of minding your own business and let people vacation how they want. You dont need to understand why anyone does anything of it literally does not involve you. I dont understand why my free time is so important to others.

5. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

[ever see a horse, drunk on fallen, fermented apples?]...
    As a matter of fact…Yes! Fun to watch. Had over 100ac in upstate NY. Kept about 12 horses and a few cows. Use to let the horses out to graze near the house.( kept the grass down so I didn’t have mow as often). We had 2 apple trees and 2 pear trees. The horses liked to graze under the apple trees. BTW you can’t stay in a bad mood when you have baby goats. Just saying!

Last edited: Oct 19, 2021
  6. Jim S

Jim S New Member

I agree with you and like to spend at least several days at a location. However, we like to take our dogs when we are traveling somewhere and prefer to camp our way there so we most likely will drive 3-400 miles/day, stay in a nice campground but then need to move on the next morning. We've met a lot of other folks who do the same - it's an alternative to staying in hotels.

7. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I enjoy camping, but for me camping is just a place to stay the night. I camp to explore other areas - small towns, big cities, etc. I have little interest in hiking/biking through the wilderness, although my goal this winter is to get my bike up and running to help get some exercise. I don't enjoy campfires as the smoke is irritating to me. I camp to get away, relax in my own way, and usually cook some good food. I will be the first to admit I am a gear junkie - I pack too much but for me that is part of the challenge of camping. I am not a minimalist camper, I like to see just how comfortable I can be while camping. My set up and tear down is measured in hours, not minutes. I rarely go out for one nighters unless it is with scouts. Otherwise it needs to be a 2-3 night stay to make it enjoyable for me.

Mark CASTELLANI and Hilldweller like this.
  8. Mark CASTELLANI

@Lebowski16 .. somewhat agreed... MYOB... but, I said somewhere else, our last trip out, a couple came in, as it turned out, just for the night... [seems like their "adult children" came for a one-night reunion]... guy couldn't back his TT into the site to save his life so, he pulled it in and, sure as heck, he COULDN'T back it out the next morning... he had us blocked in for a good 30 minutes or more... delayed our departure... lucky for us, we weren't in a hurry... talk about "entertainment"... it was both funny, and at the same time, real sad

Happy Trails!

DiamondGirl and Susan Premo like this.
  9. Hilldweller

Hilldweller Well-Known Member

A couple of years ago we were camping in Cades Cove over Thanksgiving with friends. Great time of year to camp there; the campground is just about empty.
    I had been out for a hike and was returning, walking through the campground and a few sites from mine. A new arrival was trying to back his TT into a site and was in heavy failure mode. He looked at me with "HELP" in his eyes so I started to verbally guide him back.
    "Turn your wheel clockwise," I said. He turned it counter-clockwise. "No; the other clockwise."
    The "HELP" look returned to his eyes.
    I reached in the truck through his open window, turned his steering wheel, and told him to start backing up. I kept doing that until he was parked.
    He was grateful...

10. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

My oldest is in marching band, and my youngest eventually will be too. Fortunately here it's not a summer thing but only starts a few weeks before school in August. But it does kill a lot of fall weekends for games.

DiamondGirl and BillyMc like this.
  11. Mark CASTELLANI

@Hilldweller ... you're a better man than I

BTW: he already had his wife and another adult, male, "barking" instructions to him... kinda felt sorry for him but...

Happy Trails!

12. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

We have many friends in band - around here it is ridiculous. They lose a good chunk of their summer to practice, many weekends, have to be at school early and late all the time. So thankful our son went to Orchestra instead, although scouts has kept us pretty busy during his school years. I wish they could just go back to having fun in band, athletics, etc and having more free time to just be a kid. It has got to be hard on some families these days - I don't know how some of our friends cope with it.

13. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I'm a band geek... I still play in an adult community concert band. So I love that the boys are interested in band. I'm also glad our school is sane about how much time it takes to be in marching band, even though they have a first-class marching ensemble.

That will be coming to an end in a couple weeks, and then my son starts playing in their Wind Ensemble, the top concert band in the school, as well as their top Jazz group. Puts him in the top 5 or so trumpets in a school of nearly 4000 students. Sorry, I'm just a dad bragging a little lol.

14. CaveMann

CaveMann New Member

We live in a small town 10 minutes from the lake where we usually camp. It's a primitive campground we camp at. I commute the 10 minutes to work, then head back to the lake after. My wife (she is a SAHM) and kids stay at the lake. If we need anything they will run home, but we spend most of the summer at the lake.

15. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Band camp started in July all day six days a week. When school started it was three or more days practice every week and football games every Friday night with many away games having the kids arriving home in the wee hours of the morning. Then anything meaningful goes to the kids with the parents able to make the big donations. This starts in the 8th grade. When her little brother was at orientation at middle school the band teacher mentioned marching band. I said hold it right there! That's not going to happen. I've already lost four years of meaningful family time on this colossal waste of time and not doing it again. I said he can't play in the band, but the marching is not happening. Now he has a basically new trumpet and absolutely no desire to play it.

16. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

17. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

You said it. I have never seen so many people worry about how other people camp than on this group. What time they get there, what time they leave. Why don't they stay to the last minute, why do they leave so early.
    To those people, mind your own business.

Mark CASTELLANI likes this.
  18. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

I guest I should have put this under the Joke board, as that is what is was meant to be. So I've moved it there. Take a chill-pill folks!

I'm surprised no one recognized this as a paraphrased statement by Leo McGarry from The West Wing. [LOL] [LOL]

DiamondGirl and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  19. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound funny to me.

20. geo50000

geo50000 Member

I hear ya, I won't go if I can't stay 2-3 nights minimum. At my age, it's just not worth the setup and breakdown. But I see this all the time!