I'm so cheap.....

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Haybale, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

I'm so cheap I'll cut a zip-tie on the correct side so I can reuse it again...

What are some of your "I'm so cheap" to give the rest of us ideas!!! [CP]

2. JT2

JT2 Member

Heh! I used to work in an auto dealership. When a customer would decline work or cavil about the cost ("Can't you just replace ONE tire...? Why does it need brakes on both wheels?" etc) the Service Mgr would say:

"This guy's so cheap he wouldn't buy ice water at a free dinner."

/JT

3. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

I am so cheap, I bring my own firewood camping. :)

crazymama30 likes this.
  4. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

I only collected the firewood you left behind.

5. Haybale

My last few campfires were fueled by free wood, I just had to split it!!

6. Strut

Strut Member

... I do all repairs on my vehicles, home, and everything else. I learned to do these things not because I was cheap, but because I couldn't afford to have anyone else do them for me. Now I do it because I want it done right.

I like the finer things in life, such as a good steak and a good beer. I buy an aged beef every year and butcher it all myself. $1.00 filet mignon and porter house anyone? I also make my own beer and wine. I'd make my own spirits if it was legal [;)]

I am cheap enough to bring my own firewood, but thanks to the Emerald Ash Borer I can't any longer.

bob barnes likes this.
  7. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

I cut dryer sheets in 1/3rds when it comes to drying clothes in the dryer. If weather permits, I'm even cheaper and dry them outside. Actually, I dry DH's shirts year round, cuz he wears cotton polos & he's an XLT guy. If I put them in the dryer they don't last so long because they shrink.

tls2971 likes this.
  8. ptthefanman

ptthefanman Member

Heard of a guy once that was so cheap that to conserve toilet paper he used both sides! I'm not quite that cheap!

9. Strut

Strut Member

Nothing irks me more than a single atom thick piece of TP... You might as well use your hands. [?:~{]

This is a place where I don't skimp. Wet wipes for my rump! [A]

10. Haybale

One of the few area's I don't cheap out on also!!

11. Spirit Deer

Spirit Deer New Member

I'm not cheap, but I am frugal. My favorite thing is to make something from nothing. Here's some examples of camping stuff I've made or modified:

This project is the result of a Dumpster dive at a campground near Mandan, North Dakota, the day after a windstorm. We found this canopy frame in the Dumpster, like new except it had a broken leg. The roof and carry bag were with it, both in perfect condition. I immediately thought about repairing it and modifying it to use as a shower curtain support for the portable camping shower. Believe it or not, this will fit inside our trailer and that's where it'll be used, although if I made walls for it I suppose it could be used outside, too. Since I doubt it will be used much for the shower, I also plan to add some rope so this can also be used as a clothesline outside. This isn't quite finished but it's getting there. Total cost so far is $0 because I'm reusing items from the shower we installed in the last camper.
    [​IMG]

We needed a first aid kit, but didn't have anything to put it in. I had bought this toiletry bag at Goodwill to use for something else in the camper, but it didn't work out. But it's perfect for a first aid kit. To make it clear what it is, I embroidered FIRST AID on some ribbon cloth and sewed it on the front flap. Then I added some Velcro to it so it would hang from the headrest in the back seat where no one ever sits anyway. Total cost was $4 for the bag and a few dollars to outfit it with fresh meds. I had the scrap of ribbon cloth already. The bandages and stuff like that were extras we had around the house.
    [​IMG]

Before I knew I was really interested in Dutch oven cooking, I was unwilling to put a lot of money into buying equipment in case it didn't work out. So I picked up this vintage DO for fifty cents at a rummage sale and converted it for camp cooking by adding bits and pieces of this and that. Total cost was a few dollars and most of that was the cost of the stainless steel eyebolt I used after I took off the original wooden knob. I'm not going to mention how much money I now have wrapped up in DO equipment, but I will mention I did manage to find a Lodge #10 camp DO for $2 at a rummage sale and a Lodge #12 camp DO for $8 at another sale, and I've bought and refurbished a lot of pieces that looked ruined so I could grow the cast iron collection on the cheap.
    [​IMG]

I needed a carry bag for three of our small DOs and didn't feel like making one, so I picked up this bag at GW. All three DOs fit in it nicely for a cost of only $2.
    [​IMG]

I needed some way to hold a Kleenex box on the shelf that folds into the aisle for travel, so I made this cover out of scrap plastic canvas and odds and end of yarn, with Velcro and a small bungee to attach it to the shelf. Total cost was nothing because I used Velcro scraps and had the bungee that came with a set.
    [​IMG][/url]

Shortly after we got our new camper two years ago, I was lucky enough to find this knife block/utensil basket at GW for $4. Since there was nowhere to go with the kitchen utensils, this seemed perfect and it almost was. But it was very heavy which means it does not tip easily, a good thing that made it hard to move because that was a job for both hands. So later on I picked up a basket with a tall handle on it at GW for $2. The handle came off the basket easily and now works very well to move the utensil rack with one hand. I love this arrangement and it's very handy. It even has a kitchen timer built in! Well worth the $6 it all cost.
    [​IMG]

I liked the idea of bento boxes for packing our lunches to eat on the road, but didn't want to spend a bunch in case we didn't like it after we tried it. Besides, a box with hard sides wouldn't be a good idea since they had to be underfoot in the truck so had to be able to take a beating without cracking or denting. I had these little bags around so though they would make dandy bentos. I scavenged up the Tupperware to put in them from the excess at home. They're working out extremely well for a total cost of absolutely nothing.
    [​IMG]

We wanted to install a wall shelf in the camper on a trial basis because we were so sure we'd hate it, but needed the space. So once again, I didn't want to spend much money on it in case we ripped it out again. I scavenged up bits and pieces from our garage to make the shelf and had to buy very little. The main point of this shelf was not what could be put on the top of it, but what could remain attached underneath it. Anything on top would have to be removed and dealt with every time we took the camper down, and we weren't interested in adding to setup/takedown time since the reason we bought an Aliner was the little time and effort it takes to fold one down. So I attached a towel rack that was unused in the garage, three LED puck lights from the old pop up and three from the old motor home, a Pop A Plate and Pop A Napkin from the old moho, a bag dispenser from the moho, and, eventually, the Kleenex box holder pictured above. In the works is a Pop A Plate for small paper plates I'm going to DIY from a plastic coffee can. Not only do we not hate this shelf, we can't imagine not having it now. It's so nice after a hard day that, once the wall it latched into position, everything is automatically available for use right where we need it. And all that bulky paper stuff does not take up any room in cabinets or totes since it just hangs there on the shelf all the time. I also now have a handy spot to hang the damp hand towel and dish cloth, by clothespinning them to the shelf where they can hang and dry while we're going down the road, so now I have some white clothespins that always live attached to the shelf where they're convenient. I had to buy some assorted hardware for the shelf project, so I do have about $4 in it.
    [​IMG]

We needed food storage and other storage in the camper, so I built this pantry that just sits on the bed. Total cost was around $20 because I had to buy new lumber and also some plastic boxes of a particular size to fit in the space under the two wire freezer baskets I repurposed to carry our dry food in. The bear box holds bags of snacks, buns, breads, etc. The brown basket on the left holds fresh fruits and veggies like onions and potatoes. To the right of that is a caddy that holds all the dishes we might need to eat at the picnic table, so we don't have to run back and forth after we forget things.
    [​IMG]

I wanted some kind of storage next to my bed for various things. This pocket dealie started out as one of those recliner arm pockets to hold remote controls and stuff. If I had left it in its original state, half the pockets would have been upside down, so I cut it in half and stitched it back together so everything faced the right way. Total cost, $1 for the pocket at GW and about five minutes of work.
    [​IMG]

We liked our fan/lights so much in the old camper, we wanted to keep them in the new one. But of course there's not shepherd's pole to hang them from, so I used some scraps of lightweight chain and a couple S hooks and converted them to hang from eye screws, which also came from odds and ends around here. Total cost to be able to use our lights/fans again was about $5 for a two pack of jacks so we could plug them into the ceiling light fixtures. We already had the lights so they weren't any extra cost to us. The fans help a lot to circulate the AC air and the lights point toward the wall so we don't blind each other when read in our beds at either end of the trailer.
    [​IMG]

This is one of my all time favorite cheapskate creations. I got this camp stool at a garage sale for $3, spent about $4 on tool clips to hold the tray on the top which I salvaged free from the local appliance recycling place, and used the lightweight canvas that had been on the back of a ruined rug to make a carry bag. So for well under $10 I have a lightweight but very strong Dutch oven table that folds down very small so it takes very little room in our small camper.
    [​IMG][/url]

I wanted a place to display the hat pins we buy at every Minnesota state park we visit, along with pins we buy elsewhere on our travels, so I made this from fabric scraps and hung it with an unused curtain rod for a total cost of $0. Love that.
    [​IMG]

For $4 at GW, I picked up this great toiletry bag, which is now our office and reference library in the camper.
    [​IMG]

We needed a place to store the owner's manuals in the camper that was convenient but didn't take up space. So I dug out some odds and ends in the sewing room and made this door pocket. The purse that holds all the manuals was bought for $2 at GW but was used in the old trailer, so I don't think I have to count that.
    [​IMG]

I used an old vintage canvas tent to make the cushion covers in the new camper for a total cost of nothing.
    [​IMG]

That's a few of the things I've done on the cheap. I guess you can see I like to DIY things. A lot of it was done from necessity, since it's not like I can just go out and buy a lot of this stuff.

Chloe and tls2971 like this.
  12. West Coast Canuck

West Coast Canuck Jumped to the dark side ......

Hmmm....I can't think of a thing....guess I am not cheap...lol

Tracy D. likes this.
  13. ktsmom

ktsmom One Happy Camper!

Wow, Spirit Deer!! I love your ideas! Those are really great projects.

14. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I wouldn't call myself cheap, but where I try to save money is doing my own repairs/maintenance on our home, cars, TT, etc., whenever possible.

15. hahahamilton

hahahamilton Member

I'm so cheap, I cut my own hair.

16. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

I would say I am frugal. Our neighbor just spent over 2 thousand dollars fixing his car and still had the same problem. I put a 60 dollar injector in it and problem solved. Too many "pros" just guess with your money.

We tried for 2 years to have someone cover our side steps with brick and flagstone. 6 different masons. In 2 years the price went from 1500 to 2300 plus railing. But the guys would never show up [:(] [:(] [:(]

Plan B I did it myself ....... less than a grand, done in a week. Looks pretty good for job by an old guy.

[​IMG]

I just don't trust anybody any more. With all the info on line, almost anything can be done.
    Repairman says you need a computer for your USA made 5 year old refrigerator. 460 dollars ............
    I you can do it in a half hour with a 100 dollar part from Amazon.

tls2971 and Tracy D. like this.
  17. vinmaker

vinmaker Member

Here, here to the winemaking. :)

18. Camp-N-Nuts

Camp-N-Nuts KrustyKamper

Many folks will semi-retire and buy a small business, knowing little about it...and then there are those that are burned-out and don't care about the job they do!
    Research, take your time...and you can fix anything! [RTM]

I made a kayak rack from scrap lumber (neighbor's 30yr old pool deck) and saved some bucks! [8D]

I also use the car as TV...how many can justify a truck (with poor mileage) for a few local trips per year! I see the OP uses his car also! [;)]

19. swordfish

swordfish Well-Known Member

Yeah,, please come to fix my pup or shall I just keep using it till it falls apart?
    [​IMG]
    upload images free

Jamie1120 likes this.
  20. DCL_CT

DCL_CT Member

Our NTU PUP came with the Linx Levelers, but no chocks. I always have bits of lumber on hand from various projects - took a length of pressure treated 4X4 and put it on my chop saw. A few 45* angle cuts and I have 4 wheel chocks. Just to go the extra mile, I drilled a hole through the sides of each one - near the end - and looped a length of rope through so each chock has it's own rope "handle".