I'm tired of hamburgers and hotdogs...

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by Son of a Butch, May 19, 2017.

1. Son of a Butch

Son of a Butch New Member

My family of 4 is going on a 5 day camping trip in our pup, I'm tired of our usual hamburgers and hotdogs. What are some of your favorite camping meals?

vagov likes this.
  2. theyellowbeard

theyellowbeard Active Member

Anything you can imagine eating between 2 slices of bread cooked on the open fire in a cast iron pie iron. Dutch oven chili or stews.

3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

Beef Stroganoff, grilled chicken alfredo, dutch oven beef stew, steak and baked potatoes, dutch oven chili, shrimp scampi, fish tacos,.....

BelchFire likes this.
  4. rerspain

rerspain Active Member

My favorite is London broil.

bob barnes likes this.
  5. Hikeswithcats

Hikeswithcats New Member

I enjoy pizza. I use my tripod grill over the fire. I usually buy the ingredients I like w/ a store bought crust. Cook over the fire on a tripod with a tent of tinfoil over top to help melt things. It's a little tricky to check the bottom for browning (dumped the whole thing in the fire once [:(!]), but when done right with a little patience~ its awesome!
    Another yummy favorite of mine its shish kabobs kabobs on a stick over the fire. Roasted veggies& your favorite marinated meat. Easy Peasy ...and yummy!

6. Son of a Butch

Son of a Butch New Member

Thanks! Those are some good ideas!

7. terry1419

terry1419 Active Member

In addition to the previous great ideas, Brats. Chicken with or w/o seasoned coating. Corn on the cob with the husks on soaked in water for 30-40 minutes and put on the grill. Also don't ignore the burgers with a variety such as with cheese and bacon.

8. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Anything fried in bacon grease....

bob barnes and Az Brittany Guy like this.
  9. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Keeping to a simple meal plan; taco/fajitas, hobo dinner packs, pizza in a pie iron, mixed vegetable dish with kalbasa, loaded baked potato, hamburger helper and kabobs are some recipes that come to mind. Yeah some are not the healthiest but I'm on vacation I deserve a break.[CK]. Since I've gotten a dutch oven, I've made lasagna, pan pizza, mountain man breakfast (dinner sometimes), cheesey potatoes, and baked chicken breasts. [CP]

bob barnes likes this.
  10. lostboy

lostboy Active Member

For dinner we cut a lot of veggies before we leave (cuts down on camp prep time) and cook them on the cast iron. We also crock pot some chicken the day before and use that to mix in the veggies, or for tacos, or sandwiches... I like that the meat is cooked so all you need to do is reheat.

For breakfast we do eggs, pancakes, bacon. Kids eat them separately, I make an awesome sandwich out of it.

Lunch is usually sandwiches or anything quick and more snack type as we want to get back on the trails.

Oh and left over hot dogs are awesome with eggs in the morning!!!

Az Brittany Guy likes this.
  11. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

Homemade chili & cornbread, cherry tarts baked in a pie iron. Get a dutch oven (or more than 1), once you're familiar with using them, you can cook pretty much anything that you'd make at home, & of course, being cooked on a fire in camp just makes it all the better!

Az Brittany Guy likes this.
  12. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

Make some. Lasagna and chocolate chip cookies in the Dutch oven, you will be the envy of the campground!

13. Az Brittany Guy

Az Brittany Guy New Member

Haven't got a Dutch oven yet but it's on my list. I use an old crock pot my wife let me have. Since I boondock camp at Field Trials for my bird dogs I make dinner as EZ as possible. First day (set up) is crock pot dinner night...a few adult beverages, dish up dinner and crash! Grill cooking with tin foil "part cooked" vegetables and potatoes for the rest of the dinners. Steak, chicken, pork etc. etc. Keep it simple and EZ!

14. karley020

karley020 Member

I am in WI, so have to add brats to the list. Breakfast burritos, hotdish/casseroles, ham and cheese sandwiches in the pie iron.

scubacamper likes this.
  15. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Hobo (Foil) dinners are fun and easy! I learned how to make them when I was a kid from my parents. My kids loved them back in the tenting days and we've made them for the grand kids.

I like the traditional hamburger/carrot/potato/onion, but with a little imagination you can substitute a number of combinations. Instead of hamburger, try steak, kielbasa, pork, chicken, shrimp or even fish if your careful. For veggies you can use corn, string beans, asparagus, peppers, zucchini or broccoli. If you want to get a little daring, add some marinade like sesame ginger or teriyaki.

Season them how you want, add a little butter or oil (none needed if you use hamburger), seal them tight in a couple layers of foil, put them on the campfire coals or on the grill, turn them over occasionally and they are ready to eat in 15-20 minutes.

I'm getting hungry just thinking about them!

Here's some more Hobo Dinner ideas if you want more details:
    https://www.pinterest.com/explore/hobo-dinners/?lp=true

16. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

on a side note. lOVE your user name

17. 94-D2

94-D2 Happy Campin'

We buy thin cut rib eye steaks and BBQ them. Toast ciabatta rolls with some chipotle mayo, corn and French fries, (fried in canola oil), and you've got a high end easy meal. Chicken fingers marinated in Italian salad dressing and waved over the BBQ. Aspiragrass spears in olive oil and grilled, topped with uncle bens rice and Toasted garlic bread over the grille.

Thin cut park chops. 5 min on the grille. Peanut butter sauce or apple sauce. Flank steak, broccoli and diced fried potatoes. Add some sort of bread and you gave a great meal. I actually don't do hamburgers and hot dogs when camping.

Bon apatite,

18. xvz12

xvz12 Well-Known Member

For breakfast, there's always the old Boy Scout favorite....mountain man breakfast. Fry up some sausage, bacon, cubed ham, hamburger, chorizo, whatever meat you have handy, they all work. Set the meat aside for a few minutes while you fry up some hash browns or thin sliced potatoes. When they are cooked, & a bit crispy on the outsides, mix the meat & potatoes in your fry pan, mix in a few eggs, maybe a bit of onion, mushrooms, peppers, whatever you like. Cook for a couple minutes till everything is hot, season to taste, then top generously with the cheese of your choice. I guarantee they'll be coming back for more.

xxxapache likes this.
  19. kcsa75

kcsa75 Well-Known Member

Better than hot dogs.

[​IMG]

BelchFire likes this.
  20. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I cook that same meal nearly daily when camping.