IN - hidden treasures

Discussion in 'Indiana' started by volkster, Apr 2, 2008.

1. volkster

volkster Member

I wondered if anyone had any not-so-popular places to camp in Indiana that they enjoy.

We have a couple that are beautiful but "primitive" - no electricity, but we like to "rough it"... in our pop-up.

1. Salomonie State Forest - there are excellent hiking trails and a few small waterfalls... almost Turkey Run-ish. We discovered it this past fall. It has a small campground that is first come, first served, but it was mostly empty, wooded, and quiet.

2. Huntington Reservoir (Roush Lake) - This is another one that is often overlooked because it is so close to Salomonie and Mississinewa Reservoirs. There is beautiful cliff-side camping. There's not a lot for hiking other than following the rocky lakeshore and an 8 mile bike trail that circle the lake, but it's not a state park, so you don't have to stay on the trails.

Chris 1975, Tiphanie 1977, Reagan 2006, and Kaley the wonder Yorkie.

1984 Rockwood 1206 towed by... whatever vehicle we decide to take.

2. Emudd

Emudd New Member

Camped a few times at Pigeon River Fish and Wildlife Reserve near Mongo In..

44 sites all primative no reservations needed first come first serve.

Lots of river to canoe with canoe rental and pickup/portage in the area. Town of Mongo is small and quiet, used to have a nice little old fashioned ice cream shop not sure if it still exists or not, been a few years since I've been there.

96 Rockwood 1207
    03 Durango AWD

3. volkster

volkster Member

Thanks Emudd and welcome to the site!

We may try out Pigeon River this fall! 55 miles from my home and I've never heard of it! I wonder how many other properties the DNR has that I don't know about.

4. volkster

volkster Member

We're going to try out Pigeon River at the end of this month.

5. volkster

volkster Member

OK, 4 years later, looking for a new place to try!

Pigeon River was great for canoeing, but we went in the fall and hunters with big LOUD trucks were getting up before dusk to find their deer stands. We weren't very successful in hiking there.

We have gone to France Park in Logansport 2x and we really enjoy it. They also have an incredibly challenging disc golf course there.

Anyone been to Willow Slough?

6. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

I haven't camped Willow Slough since the 60's!! [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]

There also was private CG, Broken Arrow where i feel like I grew up. I heard it was still in business, but may be like so many private CG's.......$$, and busy.

Good Luck!!

7. Hoosier Daddy

Hoosier Daddy Active Member

Yes, I know it's an old thread but thought I'd dig it up...
    Bixler Lake in Kendallville is our home base camp and I have yet to find a place we like better.
    Beautiful, clean and friendly with huge lots (grass) and a nice fishing lake / swimming beach.
    Ranger says "It's the best kept secret in Indiana".
    There is even people who live here that don't know we have a CG.

Honestly, My only complaint is the trains. Not next door, but close enough I can hear them in the night... wife sleeps right through it.

8. bburgcamper

bburgcamper 16 weekends a year camping just isn't enough.

We mainly hit the state parks but am following to see what everyone else likes.

9. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Sounds like a place we might enjoy. We will have to check it out. Since we live about 3 houses from our local train tracks, we'll feel right at home!

10. Hoosier Daddy

Shoot me a PM if you want details when the time comes! Might even hitch up the camper for a meet-n-greet! HERE'S A LINKY

Lots are huge easy to put a Pup and a tent for the youngsters onand most are level, but again it's on grass.. Prices are more than fair (50A is extra). Fire wood is delivered to your site but a kind Gent (Bob) on a Gator for $5 a load. They are always sorry to see you leave so soon on Sunday afternoon. ;)
    Heck... it's even got a library!

[​IMG]

11. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Sounds great! So, looking at the website, do you have to wait until April to make reservations for sites with electricity? How full do they normally get?

12. Hoosier Daddy

I honestly do not know how soon they take reservations... but they truly never fill up. Even on the Memorial Day, July 4th, and Labor Day weekends it has open capacity. There are Primitive lots for the Tenters but the majority has power and water hook-up on site. After all, like the thread stated, it's a "Hidden Treasure". Key word is "Hidden", for the most part even the locals don't acknowledge it. We have camped all 3 holidays and it is still peaceful.
    The 4th is a special treat as the town lights off the fireworks from the beach on that side of the lake, so they block off the public access and the display is literally Right Over Your Head while sitting in a camp chair in your lot... All the Riff-Raff is delegated to the opposite side of the 100 acre lake ;)

13. volkster

volkster Member

Sounds cool but I'm afraid they'd put me with the riff-raff!