In need of a bedding solution..

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Overland, Jan 25, 2020.

1. Overland

Overland Active Member

I need advice on options to replace the old foam mattress on my 88 Coleman Colorado. I'v camped twice on this, first a few day trip which had me hunched over in pain for a week or better (putting off back surgery since 95).. the second time a quick overnighter with a featherbed mattress topper added. The topper made a difference, but not enough.

I was under the impression I had a full size mattress, and could simply replace with an air mattress which prolonged my tenting days nicely. Yesterday I actually measured the space and found I have 45"x70". The idea for air was to be able to deflate a major portion of the mattress or bed height with added bed topper. This is important on my pup as too thick a bedding setup holds my canvas bows up, and makes the vinyl cover tight and difficult to keep corners covered. My pup is all canvas/vinyl, no wooden flat roof. Pictures can be found in my signature.

I'm wondering if the typical air mattress in a length of 75" will conform around bows at corners of my slideout. Or perhaps there is a 3 or 4" memory foam available I could trip to size, but also keep my hips from bottoming out.. but I weigh in at 250lbs currently. I'm working on that..

I'd appreciate any advice y'all could provide for possible solutions.

Here's a few pics of my space..
    20190424_155039.jpg

mattress.jpg

2. Arruba

Arruba Active Member

Years ago I bought a custom, as in cut to fit piece of semi medium density foam from an upholstery shop. I’d guess there, or somewhere like that who deals with foam regularly, you could find foam in a density not readily found at somewhere like a box store. They may be able to do a variable density foam. I’m pretty sure that exists.

As for an air mattress, Stansport advertises a backpack style air mattress in 70in length. Don’t know what to do about the width.

I get the bottoming out and need comfort to sleep part, complete with the frustration of trying to accomplish it. Good luck.

Overland likes this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I just got a 2 inch foam topper for my TT. I Havent slept on it yet, but its almost too soft. Maybe try the topper under the factory mattress. My pup mattress was ok , i did bottem out. Got me up earlier. Some also use foam squares under the mattress, for cold and for comfort. I thinks its trial and error. You could also use the air mattress if it fits, it can hang off the sides a bit, or get a smaller one.

Overland likes this.
  4. Overland

Overland Active Member

Thanks guys.. I really want to ditch the current original mattress, adding anything over it seems to give me the issue with vinyl travel cover not fitting correctly. Figured air would be my best bet but i'll consider a new pad which I could just trim to size.

I originally figured I would have room to keep my bedding in place when packing up and moving on, oh well.

5. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

I love that camper. What’s opposite the dinette?

Overland likes this.
  6. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Do you have a mattress shop around? There’s a Verlo here that manufactures it’s own mattresses... buddy of mine was able to buy memory foam cut to his specifications... available in different densities and thicknesses.

Overland likes this.
  7. Overland

Overland Active Member

On mine.. nothing except the wheel well you can catch a glimpse of. Here's a few shots of another Colorado that the owner built a storage box over.. I may do something similar full length for added storage.

Actually just got a Big Buddy that will sit atop the wheel well for now.
    campercon12.jpg

campercon13.jpg

gladecreekwy likes this.
  8. Overland

Overland Active Member

Actually there is.. brilliant idea Mike, thank you. I'll run down and see what they say..

neighbormike likes this.
  9. Jeepguy93

Jeepguy93 Active Member

10. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

Would an Exped Megamat Duo work for you? They are 72" x 41". I have the single, and it has become my go-to sleeping pad for scout camps. I sleep better on it and my cot than I do at home. If you have an REI near keep a lookout for their garage sales. I picked mine up for dirt cheap, just had to install a new valve in the fill port.

In my pup I went with foam floor mats underneath the stock mattress, and a regular foam topper (not memory) on top. Works great but I am at the max limit for mattress height now. You may not have that kind of room though.

We are about the same weight too, for point of reference.

Overland likes this.
  11. Overland

Overland Active Member

That was a bust.. place closed a few years ago.

So I need to get something sooner rather than later, spring is almost here. I have a topper on my bed that the Mrs and I really like, it's the blueish marble looking gel infused topper i'v seen in searches. I think i'm just going to get one larger than my dimensions and trim to fit.. place atop my original mattress for now. That'll mean rolling it up and storing during travel. I'll get that storage space built opposite the dinette I spoke of earlier.

Thanks guys..

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020 at 12:51 PM
    neighbormike likes this.
  12. Overland

Overland Active Member

13. Overland

Overland Active Member

I will search that product.. thanks.

However, i'm one of those guys who does not like to give my business to REI. They are way to hostile to vehicle dependent backcountry access.

14. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

I highly recommend adding anti-fatigue foam tiles under the mattress! It's basically adding a much denser foam layer underneath. For me, it help greatly with the "bottoming out" (especially as a woman sleeping on my side - I hear you with the hips!!). I actually have 2 layers of them directly on the plywood. Then the vinyl-covered stock mattress sits on top. The two layers are maybe 1.5 inches thick, so it won't take up much space. Good luck!

Like this:
    https://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece-anti-fatigue-foam-mat-set-94635.html