In or out - What's your style ?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by durhamcamper, Jan 5, 2020.

1. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

I think you'll find most people here on Pup are "out" people. We camp because we love the outdoors, and try to spend as much time in it.

We cook outside unless it's bad weather (I will still cook outside under the awning in a light rain but not in a downpour. I've also cooked indoors when it's been near freezing waking up). We tend to hang outside most of the time if we're hanging around camp. Exceptions might be a board or card game mid-afternoon, or if it's raining. We don't bring a television along and have never watched movies on a phone or tablet.

Unlike some here we DO take full advantage of the (somewhat limited) features of our pup: that being running water (we usually don't have hookups so usually that's the water tank and electric pump) for doing dishes, washing hands, brushing teeth, etc, the mini fridge for food (supplemented by an ice chest for drinks and sometimes more food), and charging phones/cameras/etc (usually via 12V since we don't often have hookups). I added solar capability last year to extend our ability to camp without hookups.

We don't have A/C in the pup but if it's going to be really hot and we have hookups, I will sometimes (rarely) bring the portable AC I use in the garage. In that case, if we need to cool down, we will sometimes move inside and play a board game or just hang out until it gets more pleasant outside. We brought the AC to South Dakota in July 2018 and ended up using it as a heater (it doubles as a heat pump) as much or more as we did an A/C.

kcsa75 likes this.
  2. PJdog

PJdog New Member

Both. I love my pop up camper and enjoy hanging out reading or playing games and being surrounded by screen windows. We use the water system, the toilet and shower- whether in a campground with facilities or not. I prefer to cook dinner on a fire and do most dishes outside. I have stopped making coffee on the fire in the morning after decades of camping. I do use a stove top percolator inside now. Different trips call for different styles depending on our agenda.

3. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

We are rarely inside the PUP other than sleeping. The last couple years we've done a mid July trip. One of those trips had 100+ temps every afternoon followed by nasty thunderstorms. We were in the PUP everyday from ust after lunch until time to start fixing dinner. It was still a fun trip, lots of naps and board games.

4. tfischer

I should note that while we usually cook outside, we rarely cook over the fire. Convenience and expense... $8 bundles of wood count up when you can't bring your own. We do s'mores of course, occasionally hobo dinners, and sometimes campfire pies. Everything else is grilled or cooked over gas.

5. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

I'm on the outside of the camper, cash me outside~! Whether it be the PUP or the TT or when we tented, I'll meet you outside. Cooking, dishes, hanging outside 90%. Inside is for teens who watch movies and interweb the heck outta the camper. I always have an awning, lights on for early evenings, radio on low side of the dial. I came to pretend I'm homeless and I want to fulfill those dreams.

I'm outside in the rain, outside on the plains. I do not like indoor camp. I do not like that, John I am.

JiffyPopJunkie and neighbormike like this.
  6. tfischer

Not if they are my teens on my watch.

gladecreekwy and J Starsky like this.
  7. J Starsky

J Starsky Well-Known Member

When we leave camp for fun tours & times, you are 100% on my clock and terms. Once we hit camp, just don't cause me troubles and all is well. Or, a hammer shall meet a screen... I don't pretend that I can hold their attention hostage for two entire weeks.

neighbormike likes this.
  8. campfire Joe

campfire Joe Active Member

Us too. after breakfast we pack a couple of sandwiches, hop in the boat and spend the day on the water. Then later it's campfire time with a couple of beers.:)

neighbormike and gladecreekwy like this.
  9. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

That’s easy for us. Twenty minutes driving from our house and we’re out of cell range.

J Starsky, kcsa75 and neighbormike like this.
  10. TDS-MN

TDS-MN Active Member

Our typical camping trips are like the original poster's, spending as much time outside as possible. Have had foul weather force us indoors a couple times, but that is a rarity. Cooking as many meals as we can over the fire or on the outdoor stove is typical. Lots of time spent gathered around the fire in the evenings, and usually hiking around the campground during the daytime.

11. Natureangel

Natureangel Everythings better outdoors...

Since I frequently solo camp I will cook inside often. I have a simple hot plate and microwave that I’ll use for meal prep. I’ll cook outside with my electric in good weather and almost always eat outside. My focus camping is not eating but it is hiking, kayaking, exploring and biking. I enjoy a fire but I won’t have one every night. I don’t think it’s an environmentally good choice.
    The camper is for sleeping and transport of all my stuff.
    Everyone has their own priorities so the is no right or wrong !

gladecreekwy likes this.
  12. cztardust

cztardust Active Member

Really depends on why we head out. Sometimes we head out to get away from everyone and get some rest from the hectic pace at home and work. Other times we go out to explore the state parks and enjoy nature.

13. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

We are definitely out. The pup is usually a home base for us to explore from. We don't use the water and we don't cook inside although we have eaten/played games inside during a sideways rain. If all the hammocks are full, one of my teens may escape to the inside for an afternoon nap but usually we are out exploring, hiking, kayaking etc. We almost always have a fire at night and often a small one in the morning if it is cool or we are at the campsite for the day.
    I love our little pup but I can't imagine hanging out in it if I wasn't sleeping or the weather didn't require it. We camp to be out in nature or to be able to sight see.

Econ likes this.
  14. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

So, I am an “out”.... for the most part. Now in a TT, my habits really haven’t changed since I was 16 and in a tent. With my TT, I made sure if I was hauling it, I would be able to use it if wanted (dinette size/ shower size, etc). That being said, cooking, eating, relaxing and the like is all outside. If the weather/ season demands, I will make coffee inside, I will cook and eat inside, but this is rare. Though I was totally used to roughing it, I have enjoyed taking full advantage of my own toilet and shower. I have also made sure that I am able to go 5-6 days without hookups (aka being self contained).
    Edit: I HAVE CAMPFIRES lol

15. Lumbergodd

Lumbergodd Member

Did I write this post? This sounds exactly like our brand of camping. The only difference is that I have taken the sink and stove right out of our popup so we don't even have that option anymore. We too are also looking for a small TT in the near future. I wish they made them without the kitchen and bathroom. We probably won't use them and I would like the extra room to stretch out.

16. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

@Lumbergodd
    We took the sink out of each of our two pups, though left the stove. We'd actually thought we'd use the sink and not the stove when we got our first pup. We were thankful that we tried a few trips before doing anything, since the sink proved to be pretty much useless, but having the stove was a plus.
    When we needed to move on from the second pup, we had a list that included "no flush toilet" (we had a gel bag system we used with the popups). I did find a few that had no bathroom - some of the Casitas have the option of just having a storage space rather than a bathroom. IIRC, there was a Palomino TT at the time that also did not have one, but that was more than 5 years ago now. There are people doing conversions of cargo trailers, so they can choose what they put in. Vintage travel trailers vary a lot in kitchen and/or bathrooms on board, and of course, many of those have been rehabbed to add or subtract what they did have. (As a Sister on the Fly, I usually get to see some at each event, though not all SOTFs have trailers, let alone vintage ones. Our Retro is sort of best of both worlds, new but with a vintage look.)
    In the end, we bought a 17' TT that has a wet bath and tiny kitchenette. With aging bodies and (for me) digestive system issues, having a real toilet has been wonderful. Dealing with waste tanks, which scared me, has not been bad. Actually, the worst thing about dumping the tanks is that my cranky hands don't cope well with the connectors, which is an issue on my solo trips; my husband has an idea for something to help with that for this season. We'll never use the shower, short of absolute desperation, since it's tiny, and we don't want to cope with having the moisture inside, nor waiting for the floor to dry before we can use the toilet. Most of the time, we still use the campground facilities during the day, but not having to trek across a campground in the middle of the night, or during a hail storm is wonderful.
    I also never thought I'd care about having a hot water tank, but it is easier than heating water on the stove, and handy for doing dishes and taking basin baths.
    For us, it's about options - nothing says we have to be inside just because we now have a TT, but it sure beats spending the evening sitting in the vehicle because the weather is so bad being in a tent isn't comfortable. We also can withstand worse weather, if we'd been in a tent or our popup, we'd have had to abandon camping over Thanksgiving, when we had not only hours and hours of high winds, but were hit with a micro-burst bad enough we wondered if we'd have moved a tad (we hadn't).

campfire Joe and Tulip like this.
  17. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I used to think the same thing... but after two seasons, I wouldn’t be without my bathroom! I also enjoy my small kitchen and fridge w/ freezer - especially on cold/ rainy/ snowy mornings!

1380ken, BillyMc and kitphantom like this.
  18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Enclosed utility trailer and make it your own. I've considered doing it and adding a foldout bunk like a hybrid on one side.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. davido

davido Active Member

Even when I'm backpacking, I'm not a big fan of campfires. They make me smell smokey, and I just don't care for that. They're a bit of a hassle. I'm camping for other reasons and those reasons rarely involve a campfire. Scenery, hiking, food, chatting with friends... campfires aren't required for any of that, and even disallowed in some areas.

Now, if my kids (9 and 11) want to roast marshmallows, then yes, we're going to have to do a campfire. And they deserve to have that to enjoy at least one of the nights on an outing.

My style? We use the in-trailer stove, and the outside grill. We wash dishes inside. We hang out some outside, some inside. If the weather is cold, there's more inside time. If it's nice weather, there's more outside time.

We cook largely indoors because it's convenient to do so; the stove is already set up, the sink is right there. It's easy. And I've got plenty of other stuff to worry about without bothering setting up an outdoor camp stove too.

But again our idea of camping may be a little different. When I'm backpacking, that's real camping. When I'm using the popup trailer, that's often a home-base for exploring a national park, state park, or other similar attraction. The days will be spent hiking, visiting the scenic view places, and so on. And in the evenings we get back to the trailer often after dark, whip up a big dinner, and crash.

campfire Joe likes this.
  20. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Mostly out. That’s why I’m camping to be outdoors. But I do confess to loving to nap on a hot day in the pop up with the window flaps down and a cool breeze blowing through the pop up. I don’t mind cooking inside if I have too but why when I have such better stoves (20 at last count) and stuff to cook on outside. Not to mention cooking over a fire with a cast iron Dutch oven. Nope definitely out.